Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain european car and grassroots motorsports on stands now

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 08:35 PM
emobob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to give you all a heads up that both magazines are on stands now and have a couple page write ups on the mini aftermarket. The european car mag has the better more extensive write up, detailing all the different companies and whats offered. unfortunately neither have very good analysis of the mods (no comparisons or true testing to be found - one or two exceptions).To be honost the both seemed to just be ripped from what we all know from forums and internet sites

Overall they are a fun great read, can probably finish the articles in the store and save yourself 5 bucks though.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Grassroots motorsports a LOT and it is one of the only American car mags that I will purchase.

I just read the crappy US magazines like European Car, Road&Track, etc. in the store so I can afford the superior but more expensive imported British and European magazines that are not slaves to the American Auto companies that dictate the content of our pitiful magazines.

For instance, my 1994 Land Rover defender was proclaimed "4x4 of the Year" by one of the American Truck magazines when it was first released to the American Car-buying public. Since that time, a range of vehicles such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mercedes M-class, and other lesser off-road vehicles have won this distinctive title.

However, I would bet my Defender against any of these in a real-world test of off-road prowess, knowing that the D-90 is arguably the best stock off-roader ever built period. But since there were only about 4000 Defenders ever brought into the US, a continued winning streak simply is not going to sell the newest models being introduced to the American public, and the magazines have given the award to nine other newly released models rather than truly and objectively evaluating actual performance.

A magazine like "Car" published in the UK has absolutely no problem exposing serious flaws or minor irritations found in exotic super-cars when they do their road tests. Maybe they are not afraid that the big car companies will stop giving them cool cars to drive if they do not suck up to the man and publish what he says instead of what they really believe and know to be true. . . .

I know I am a snob, but I stand firmly by my opinions. . . .

2003 MCS, BRG/W on the truck to my dealer!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 12-02-2002, 05:14 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, if you frequent these forums at all you can probably save your money on these MINI tuner articles.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:23 AM
X2Board
5th Gear
'CAR' magazine is great, this month's issue is a must have, out of 20 high performance vehicles the Cooper S placed 4th overall, you won't believe some of the cars it beat, they include the Boxster, Audi RS6, NSX, Bently Arnage T, Evo 7, STI and others

X2

Old 12-02-2002, 05:30 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
There was a similar 15-20 car comparo in "EVO" in the recent issue entitled "Power to the People." The Cooper S beat out the WRX STI, the EVO VII, the Elise, the Focus ST170 (in the next issue it beat out the Focus RS, head to head), the S3, the BMW 3-series, etc. The winner of that test (the Cooper S) went on to go head to head with the Pagani Zonda C12S. The Comparo was very interesting, while the head to head with the Zonda was just plain fun reading (the Cooper S lost BTW, just to prevent the Giant Slayer Reputation from getting too overblown).

The great thing about both CAR and EVO is they are very well written and have some amazing photography. As YuccaPatrol points out, both are willing to point out the foibles of their test cars. Another plus is that both mags have rather large long term fleets that they report on in every issue. Including how the trips to the dealerships went, and what their incurred costs were.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:54 AM
emobob
2nd Gear
well I wasn't really commenting on the quality of the magazines, in fact I've never actually picked up either of them before (until now when they had mini's on the cover!).

I really enjoy the articles on the EVO site, but I've never read an actual paper version before.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Old 12-02-2002, 12:53 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
>>
>>
>>R

Congratulations, George!

Old 12-04-2002, 12:08 AM
gotmini2
1st Gear
Hey...Im in there too!
The little yellow Mini way in the back on the cover...That's Me!!

I dont think it will get me any movie deals...but at least I know Im in there somewhere.

The night of the cover photo shoot we all caravaned to a local steak house for a slab-o-meat and brew. All these trick Mini's racing about together...it was ever so cool.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:06 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Didn't mean to exclude you Randy. Congrats!

R