Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Clutch replacement.

2011 cooper s rpm stage 3 84k. It looks like my throwout bearing is toast.
My head is spinning trying to figure out what clutch to go with. I had no slippage with the original clutch on hard pulls but am going to replace since I have to drop the transmission for the throwout bearing. This car is no longer my daily driver and is used for autocross and spirited drives. Will also be installing a quafe lsd. Leaning towards this setup with steel smf but I really have no idea. https://www.outmotoring.com/single-m...scon18kit.html
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm subscribed just to see how you make out.going to be pricey though, I only spent 150 to replace my clutch and pressure plate.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you have a stage 3 tune setup I would recommend the OS Giken as it will be strong enough to handle any power you throw at it.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/07-coo...-transmission/

2nd option would be a clutchmaster kit like a FX250 or 350 kit
https://www.waymotorworks.com/clutch...-cooper-s.html

Also since you have the trans out go for a real LSD to get that power to the ground
https://www.waymotorworks.com/quaife...ferential.html

And powerflex control arm bushings since you have the subframe out
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...7-r58-r59.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (06-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 03:34 AM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
What would you say is the average life of a OS GIKEN and the other aftermarket clutches you listed? I have heard mixed numbers over the years and have never been sure if it is do to the product or the driver. What flywheel comes with your OS GIken clutch? Even though this is no longer my daily i will still be driving it over 12k a year. thanks

Last edited by Isyvibes; 05-13-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend the OSG STR single. You can beat the hell out of it at the track and it comes back for more. Being full metallic it handles heat like no other and will last. OBW has been making over 320 hp (now at 385) for a long time on his OSG single with no issues. 30,000 on my OSG twin at 263 and another 15,000 at 290 hp with very little wear. I don't recommend the twin for the street though. Since it has solid hubs its as chatty as a 10 year old girl when its cold.

Most of the issue with OSG were early models or the GT series. The GT's are very particular about installation setup but the STR has proven to be pretty well bullet proof. Pedal pressure is light but the engagement window is smaller than stock and higher up so you have to relearn a bit. Since its full face its much easier to drive than a paddle type clutch. Not a fan of kevlar clutches. If you feather them too much or get them too hot they start slipping till they cool down.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Due to time and money limitations. I ended up going with The outmotoring single mass steel flywheel clutch kit(https://www.outmotoring.com/single-m...scon18kit.html), wavetrac lsd, Pre pressed black powerflex control arm bushings from way, and powerflex front swaybar bushings. The install got completed Tuesday night. Put 500 miles on it never going over 4k rpm by friday night. Ran it in a autcross novice school Saturday. The instructors, my codriver and me hammered the car pretty hard and i am pretty happy with the results. I will update in 10k and let you all know how the clutch is holding up. Thanks for the input.
Isyvibes

Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Isyvibes
Due to time and money limitations. I ended up going with The outmotoring single mass steel flywheel clutch kit(https://www.outmotoring.com/single-m...scon18kit.html), wavetrac lsd, Pre pressed black powerflex control arm bushings from way, and powerflex front swaybar bushings. The install got completed Tuesday night. Put 500 miles on it never going over 4k rpm by friday night. Ran it in a autcross novice school Saturday. The instructors, my codriver and me hammered the car pretty hard and i am pretty happy with the results. I will update in 10k and let you all know how the clutch is holding up. Thanks for the input.
Isyvibes
I am currently investigating clutch replacement options, and I am intrigued by your review of the Outmotoring package. Do you recall if the single mass flywheel in that kit has the timing slot for the cam timing locking tool? Most of the aftermarket single mass options do not have this slot.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I am currently investigating clutch replacement options, and I am intrigued by your review of the Outmotoring package. Do you recall if the single mass flywheel in that kit has the timing slot for the cam timing locking tool? Most of the aftermarket single mass options do not have this slot.
It did not have the timing slot so it would be smart to do your timing chain at the same time. I have around 5k on the setup and 7 autocross events, some of them had two drivers running my car. It is holding up great and feels very similar to the stock flywheel.