R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 OS Giken, Clutch Masters or stock clutch replacement experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:42 PM
odieman23
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OS Giken, Clutch Masters or stock clutch replacement experience

Hi group;

My R56 clutch throw out bearing is making noise and have been told that it needs replacement or possibly the whole clutch kit. Since this is a big job, I was wondering if someone is running the: OS Giken Star kit or the clutch Master’s kit that comes with the flywheel for opinion and experience. I figure, I could upgrade while at it.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...endations.html

Clutch master for steel and aluminum conversions are the most popular are the FX100, great for daily and some track use. OS Giken has some really good and high-quality finish. People like that clutch for track and high usages in racing applications, also good for daily.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-26-2021, 04:19 PM
martinav
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sooo... I ordered a Valeo clutch from Amazon, from the Valeo store. What came appeared to be in an original Valeo double-nylon band strap box. What I was very unhappy with was that the contents were not well packaged. This was a 39lb box, the flywheel was on the bottom, there were two narrow strips of cardboard and a piece of butcher paper between the flywheel and the clutch disk, then another couple narrow pieces of cardboard, and a square of butcher paper between the clutch disk, and the outer piece. Basically, the packing did not even cover the entire items, and direct contact between all components occurred in transit. The dowels in the flywheel obviously had contact with, and chipped edges off of the clutch disk, and there was also a crack in one place through the fibrous material.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon took it back, but this appeared to be manufacturer packing. It was not 3rd party. For $400 worth of parts, i would expect there to be some pretty serious packing with these heavy parts.

I re-ordered the kit through rockauto. We will see how it goes. I'm not confident it will be any different, unless they repackage this prior to shipment. However, there is never anyone to talk to there. I suppose thats why its $70 cheaper. Perhaps FCPEuro will be the way to go if this doesnt go well. I can at least talk to a human there.

Curious on other's experience with this.

The following users liked this post:
RChandler (01-28-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:32 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
I'm curious about ANY uprated/stronger clutch causing problems with the stock thrust bearing on the main-crank-bearing caps.

Is this not an issue on these engines?

Old 01-27-2021, 01:19 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by odieman23
Hi group;

My R56 clutch throw out bearing is making noise and have been told that it needs replacement or possibly the whole clutch kit. Since this is a big job, I was wondering if someone is running the: OS Giken Star kit or the clutch Master’s kit that comes with the flywheel for opinion and experience. I figure, I could upgrade while at it.
IMO, If the car is not heavily tuned and is a daily driver that will never see a track, then install a new OEM set-up (Luk). The stock clutch is actually very good.
Some people love the lighter one-piece flywheel and others have had issues with chatter that drives them nuts.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:17 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainhorse
I'm curious about ANY uprated/stronger clutch causing problems with the stock thrust bearing on the main-crank-bearing caps.

Is this not an issue on these engines?
I've never heard of anyone having crank walk issues on these cars. Then again the most popular aftermarket clutch options typically don't have heavier pressure plates, just better friction materials.

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (01-27-2021)