Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch, flywheel, both..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch, flywheel, both..?

My MCS has 54k on it, I'm not the first owner so I can't speak for the first 40k. About two weeks ago I started hearing a "chatter" sound, kind of a little clunky though like something spinning and knocking around when the car is warm + idling. If I depress the clutch pedal it stops. Now, when starting from a stop in 1st gear the clutch feels like it's slipping and I feel a shimmy or vibration as the gear engages.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to clutch problems. From what I have read I understand this is indicative of a failing clutch. I'm a broke college student and at this point in my Mini ownership experience I am wishing for a chance to travel back in time ... while I am waiting for that to happen I'm hoping someone on here may be able to share some experience related to this issue. Is it possible that it's JUST the clutch, or does the flywheel go simultaneously? If it's possible the flywheel is still in working order, how would I tell? I'll be doing this replacement myself

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mister; 02-22-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Speling
Old 02-22-2016, 04:18 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes those are the typical signs of the clutch going. You will need to plan on replacing both the clutch kit and the dual mass flywheel. They have made a single fly wheel conversion kit if you want to switch to single mass, a few on here have already done that. I just replaced the clutch kit and dual mass along with some ancillary parts that need to be replaced when you are doing a clutch job. Dual mass cannot be machined down like a single mass flywheel, if you shop around you should be able to get all the parts for about 750 bucks, that what I paid. Then find a reliable mechanic who will do the job and work with you. They have to remove a lot of the underside of the vehicle and drop the trans to fix the clutch. I paid 400 for the install to my mechanic. Good luck!

Erik

Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yep, the clutch is going out. If the dual mass flywheel is worn, enoe is right, is not repairable. The only way to know for sure is to take it apart. You plan to do the repair yourself? From what I understand, it's a lot of work..

Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
My clutch has felt and sounded like that for tens of thousands of miles and still works fine.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Thanks for the feedback

I suspected this might be the outcome when I heard the sound the first time...

From what I'm seeing online the stock clutch + flywheel is only slightly less expensive than an aftermarket upgrade, which I'm curious about.

I've read a few posts from members who have tried the clutch masters fx200 kits and had some issues... But those posts are a few years old now.

Same goes for the spec kits. The os giken kit is outside of my price range and seems a little too aggressive for my near-stock car, based on what I've read.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket kits that may help? I'm grateful for the help!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Old Lotus Guy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Morning, Mister! No one has said anything yet, however, I would like to warn you !! If you do buy an aftermarket FLYWHEEL, be SURE that it has the "Locater Hole" in the back of it, for the Flywheel Lock Tool !!! If it does not have this, later on down the road you WILL NOT be able to lock it, to TIME the engine. All the research I did two years ago, nobody mentioned this, and I still can't find anything about it!! If you have to do a timing chain or anything that involves removing the chain, you will be in for a very expensive SURPRISE! Don

Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
We have a lot of great clutch kits HERE that you can check out. When doing a clutch job, it's always a good idea to replace the rear end seal on the engine at the same time and also replace the throw-out bearing and flywheel bolts. You should also replace the clutch release fork and the master/slave cylinders at the same time for added insurance. If you need any help with putting anything together please let me know as I'd be happy to help.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
My clutch has felt and sounded like that for tens of thousands of miles and still works fine.
I'm not too sure I would want to drive for tens of thousands of miles with a slipping clutch, though... Even if it takes that long to fail it would be a pretty disappointing driving experience for the several years it would take me to drive that much

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm still hoping someone with some experience dealing with aftermarket clutch and flywheel kits may have some advice before I start buying parts. I really like the idea of upgrading if I'm going to be replacing something, but the reliability question is still out there for this issue.

Thanks again for the responses!