Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Tuning a '06 factory JCW (E85, injectors, cams...)

Old 03-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
There will never be a factory ECU Flex-Fuel option for gen 1 cars, it's simply an out dated platform.

If you need to use the factory ECU for legal (inspections) reasons, your only option is to create separate maps for individual fuel types, and load them accordingly. Plus have all the necessary ancillary hardware as well. (Injectors, Fuel Pump, Regulator) Depending on the ethanol content.
the main problem is: fuel trimming with stock ecu
plus you don't know for sure how much ethanol you have in the tank which will lead to blown engines

my system, it always knows and makes corrections for it without you having to do anything except put the fuel in the tank and go

Old 03-04-2019, 01:17 PM
SuN13300
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works
its stand alone only. It's a full motorsport ecu with traction control, launch control, boost control, knock control, closed loop control..........etc etc
It has multi-fuel capabilities to run the flex fuel sensor, you tune the car on pump gas and all the way to e100 if you like
you set up the tables in the fuel system, timing etc to your car.

Ecu, is $1200
-6 fuel lines and all fittings to install, high flow fuel pump,boost-a pump, 1000cc injectors, auxiliary wiring harness to run sensors, flex fuel sensor and fuel pressure sensor $1375
Your system is definately the best engine control solution for flex fuel but I don't have that kind of money to put it that car...
I'm gonna have to switch tunes depending on the fuel but I think I'll run E85 most of the time. I put a new oem pump and filter and I'll see how it goes with ethanol.
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
There will never be a factory ECU Flex-Fuel option for gen 1 cars, it's simply an out dated platform.

If you need to use the factory ECU for legal (inspections) reasons, your only option is to create separate maps for individual fuel types, and load them accordingly. Plus have all the necessary ancillary hardware as well. (Injectors, Fuel Pump, Regulator) Depending on the ethanol content.
Yes the software isn't made for flex fuel. I was asking because most of flex fuel kits are plugged in series with the injectors and adjust fueling artificially. Not the best way to do it but it works.

As you said I will have to create separate tunes. I have the 550cc injectors with stock (but new) fuel system. Why would you change the pressure regulator? stock fuel pressure is fine for me, what's your idea?
Originally Posted by Revolution Motor Works
the main problem is: fuel trimming with stock ecu
plus you don't know for sure how much ethanol you have in the tank which will lead to blown engines

my system, it always knows and makes corrections for it without you having to do anything except put the fuel in the tank and go
Stock ECU for sure can't handle real flex fuel. But if tuned correctly, I think it can handle 20% deviation in ethanol content. In France, super ethanol blend is made of E85 max in the summer and E65 min in the winter. If the tune is centered for E75 it will be fine knowing ethanol is less sensitive to knock and produce lower combustion temp.
Tuning will be fun I guess!

Old 03-04-2019, 01:29 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by SuN13300

Yes the software isn't made for flex fuel. I was asking because most of flex fuel kits are plugged in series with the injectors and adjust fueling artificially. Not the best way to do it but it works.

As you said I will have to create separate tunes. I have the 550cc injectors with stock (but new) fuel system. Why would you change the pressure regulator? stock fuel pressure is fine for me, what's your idea?
My bad, I forgot which thread this was, that was more of a blanket statement, it would really only be needed for ethanol fuels and high HP applications.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 AM
SuN13300
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Injectors and clutch are installed.
We replaced all steering pump piping, installed powerflex bushings some vacuum lines that were damaged, transmission shafts, MAP sensors o-rings, CAM sensor o-rings, wheel bearings, shift box cables, fuel filter and fuel pump.

Scorpion exhaust manifold is being modified to install EGT sensor. Does anyone know the best location to pass Wideband and EGT sensor wiring inside the car?

Good thing we had the engine out, exhaust manifold had a leak and the cylinderhead could have been damaged :/

Old 05-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts
So nice to have the right tools for the job! Totally jealous.