Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Head, Cam and Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 AM
03cooperr53
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Head, Cam and Headers Install

Am going to be installing the above parts in the the very near future. What should I change or upgrade for maintenance purposes while doing this install?

It's an '03 Cooper S with 80k miles and the following engine mods

15% pulley
2% ATI damper pulley
Alta exhaust
GRS IT
JCW 380cc injectors
Colder plugs
Madness CAI

Parts on hand to install

Newman ph2 cam
ARP Cam bolt (new)
Mynes V2 header
new header gasket
Intake gasket (new)
Tensioner (new)

Parts to purchase

JCW cylinder head (already sourced a low mileage head 48k just need to send payment)
Head gasket
Timing chain guides

Is there any other thing that I should purchase before doing the install?
Will be paying for these to be install so I would like to have everything on hand.

Thanks

Last edited by 03cooperr53; 05-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:40 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Switch to a set of ARP Head Studs, a little more expensive but reusable if needed.
(Esp. since you have to buy new head bolts anyway, OEM are one time use only)
Thermostat and gasket. (why not, since it'll be off anyway)
Timing Chain Tensioner (Again, cheap insurance and if the old one is still good, save it for a "just in case" spare)
You said "Intake Cover Gasket" I'm guessing you mean the Intake Gasket itself? While they can be reused, New or Old, use Permatex Cooper gasket spray, on both sides to insure a good seal. (You can also do the Header gasket as well, won't hurt anything)
Along those lines,I prefer assembly lube as opposed to oil, for the Cam break in.
Lastly, a completely unnecessary upgrade and a little pricey, but you could stud the Header as well instead of using the bolts. R56 studs and cooper nuts (I prefer the shallower of the two nut depths available)
Again, totally not needed, but I've never had one loosen, compared to the Header Bolts.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:33 PM
03cooperr53
4th Gear
What about the timing chain guides. Should these be replace at the same time or just the tensioner for good measure?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Personally, with only 80,000, unless you actually see what looks like stress or heat cracks on them, I wouldn't bother.
But it's entirely up to you because of cost -vs- not.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 AM
03cooperr53
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Switch to a set of ARP Head Studs, a little more expensive but reusable if needed.
(Esp. since you have to buy new head bolts anyway, OEM are one time use only)
Thermostat and gasket. (why not, since it'll be off anyway)
Timing Chain Tensioner (Again, cheap insurance and if the old one is still good, save it for a "just in case" spare)
You said "Intake Cover Gasket" I'm guessing you mean the Intake Gasket itself? While they can be reused, New or Old, use Permatex Cooper gasket spray, on both sides to insure a good seal. (You can also do the Header gasket as well, won't hurt anything)
Along those lines,I prefer assembly lube as opposed to oil, for the Cam break in.
Lastly, a completely unnecessary upgrade and a little pricey, but you could stud the Header as well instead of using the bolts. R56 studs and cooper nuts (I prefer the shallower of the two nut depths available)
Again, totally not needed, but I've never had one loosen, compared to the Header Bolts.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far. I have done a little research on the JCW cylinder head but still need some professional advice.
With the current mods I have listed above and the mods am planning on installing (cam and header). Is it worthwhile for me to install a JCW cylinder head (48k miles) or keep my stock head (80k). The JCW cylinder head can be purchased for $600.
Am not interested in spending money on a bvh right now. The car is a weekend car and not tracked.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2019, 12:12 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
The JCW head is going to provide larger valves and ports (re: HP) and will allow your other mods to work to their fullest. Seems wrong to put cam/headers on the car then restrict the exhaust flow with smaller valves/ports. Plus, $600 for a JCW head with low miles is a steal.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
+1
Esp if you do end up doing a BVH, you can resell the JCW and use your original head for the core on the new head.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:26 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48
The JCW head is going to provide larger valves and ports (re: HP) and will allow your other mods to work to their fullest. Seems wrong to put cam/headers on the car then restrict the exhaust flow with smaller valves/ports. Plus, $600 for a JCW head with low miles is a steal.
I don’t believe this is accurate. Valves on all S and JCW heads are the same. The only difference between an S and JCW head are slightly enlarged exhaust ports on the JCW. I’d say your $600 :thumbs up: