Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 250-300hp Mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:27 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
This sounds like you have MORE than 300hp if your car is jumping lanes!!!
Me personally am looking to find the sweet spot and would like to know what are mod quality parts to be bolted on without rebuilding the bottom end?
Yes, last dyno was 368WHP.

Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I don't know if this is an individual issue or a 2'nd gen issue or maybe even a hard top issue, but I have over 300 whp with my R52 and with the factory LSD and all PowerFlex bushings, I have minimal torque steer, the only issue I have is tire/front end float from loss of traction, but it stays pretty straight and is very controllable.
I'm not familiar with 1st Gen dyno charts, but I'd guess that the curve has more effect on torque steer than the peak --- when peak torque occurs at lower RPM's, I'd expect more torque steer. I've heard from other high power 2nd gen owners that torque steer is a significant problem. Not so much from 1st gen, even when, like you, they have 300+ numbers. Does your chart peak near rev limit? My torque peaks around 4400.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:11 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I’ll bet that Thumper is an absolute beast though! Hell im smiling just imagining driving it! Lol

Old 11-27-2018, 07:35 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
By a quality oil catch can I mean one that is internally baffled and has 3/4" or 19mm connections. Examples of which would be the BSH, ECS Tuning or BMS cans. There's a few others as well that are excellent units. Our PCV system vents excess crankcase pressure from blow by into the intake tract just forward of the turbo. Unfortunately, when oil mist gets mixed in with the intake charge it can lower your effective octane from 93 to as low as 89 resulting in detonation. I recommend an OCC even for Stage 1 tunes for this reason.

As far as meth injection is concerned there are two schools of thought. The first is to use meth injection to add an additional safety factor. Turbocharged gasoline applications will always be det limited. Meaning you will reach detonation before you reach the timing limit for maximum torque. Since detonation limits are dependent on fuel, methanol with its high rating helps level the playing field a bit without resorting to extremes like E85. For moderate tunes a 0.6mm nozzle with an 80/20 meth mix will give you a nice safety margin.

The second school of thought is to use the timing increases methanol allows to make more torque and horsepower. Injecting 500cc of the same mix via a 1.0mm nozzle in conjuction with 93 octane fuel gives you an effective octane rating approaching 100. Besides its actual octane rating it further reduces detonation by lower intake charge temperature via evaporative cooling.

Some important things to keep in mind when following the second school of thought. 1) Ensure your methanol injection system includes a failsafe that will automatically cut boost if you run out of methanol or the system detects a malfunction. 2) Methanol is FUEL. Our fuel systems start to max out when injector time hits 7.2 to 7.5ms. What that boils down to is without meth you can hit 235 to ~250 whp on our stock fuel system, depending on the vehicle. Some Mini's do better than others. A lot of thing come into play and need to be data logged and adjusted for but with meth acting as a secondary fuel source you get much more head room for tuning in additional power. So when tuning for power with meth the presence of meth is critical and skimping on your meth kit is not a good idea.
Ditto... Good supplemental post...
With my setup and the 650cc injectors, I'm limited to 22psi, the addition of the W/M with a heavy mix of Meth will hopefully allow me to run 25-26psi, all still on the stock fuel system.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Yes, last dyno was 368WHP.

I'm not familiar with 1st Gen dyno charts, but I'd guess that the curve has more effect on torque steer than the peak --- when peak torque occurs at lower RPM's, I'd expect more torque steer. I've heard from other high power 2nd gen owners that torque steer is a significant problem. Not so much from 1st gen, even when, like you, they have 300+ numbers. Does your chart peak near rev limit? My torque peaks around 4400.
Good thought, yes with my head, cam and turbo, it peaks up top. Doesn't make enough torque to break the tires loose in 2nd until 5200 & up.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:58 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I made 255whp and 295 - 310tq on a Mustange dyno last time it was on one. RPM Stage 3, catless dp, ebay intercooler, JMTC S42 turbo. Waiting on my car to get out the hospital with its now freshly built motor with supertech pistons and valvetrain.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM
JPark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
225whp to 260whp is something I do a lot of. A basic stage 2 kit with downpipe, Intercooler, colder spark plugs and tuning will get 225whp. Add a hybrid turbo for 260whp

you can email me if you more questions MarioPalza@gmail.com

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning
I’m in the similar boat at the OP, can you do a stage 3 with the stock turbo? What’s the most you can put down with the stock one? I have a spare stock turbo with low miles that I was planning on sending in for a hybrid setup but was curious to if stage 3 was possible with about 22psi on the stock turbo without losing efficiency.