Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:19 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
WMW packages

Does anyone have feedback on the WMW ignition package and WMW 15% pulley package? Would the ignition package be an upgrade from my current one? The price seems low compared to some coil packs I've seen. I have the JCW tuning kit on my R53.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:11 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
The faster the blower spins, normally, the more pressure into the chambers happens, as long as all related parts are in good condition.
Which "kit" are you looking at ? And what coil might you have now, that would be a good thing to know before anyone can give good advice ? The stock coil is a good part as is. As long as it is in good condition, it's hard to beat. Depending on the vehicle age, a fresh set of spark plug wires might be a good idea, along with a fresh set of spark plugs if the last tune-up is unknown.

Which JCW "kit" ? There were a couple of different offerings. Exactly what parts are JCW ?

See how much it would help if more existing info about the car/engine could be past along to us, the public to help you ?

Mike

Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 AM
jk6672
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
The faster the blower spins, normally, the more pressure into the chambers happens, as long as all related parts are in good condition.
Which "kit" are you looking at ? And what coil might you have now, that would be a good thing to know before anyone can give good advice ? The stock coil is a good part as is. As long as it is in good condition, it's hard to beat. Depending on the vehicle age, a fresh set of spark plug wires might be a good idea, along with a fresh set of spark plugs if the last tune-up is unknown.

Which JCW "kit" ? There were a couple of different offerings. Exactly what parts are JCW ?

See how much it would help if more existing info about the car/engine could be past along to us, the public to help you ?

Mike
These:
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pu...tml?quantity=1

https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ig...tml?quantity=1

I've only had the R53 a little over a week, it has 111k miles on it and I bought it from a woman who needed a bigger vehicle because she's pregnant. I have no idea what kit it has then, I just thought it was a standard kit added at the dealership. I can tell you on the valve cover it has the JCW Badge and just below it states JCW tuning kit # S5087. Wires say Beru, The exhaust tips also say JCW
With the miles on it, I'm replacing the wheel hubs next weekend because they are bad so I just wanted to change all the fluids, plugs, wires, belt, and I figured I might as well do the ignition package along with a pulley upgrade while I'm at it.

Last edited by jk6672; 09-30-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:05 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither will give you much of an upgrade. Jcw pulley is 11% already. That coil pack is not good. Save money for a RMW street header, cam, and 550cc injectors. RMW head if you can afford it. Those will be a much better investment.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:08 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
An RMW tune would be my first upgrade, before anything else.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
An RMW tune would be my first upgrade, before anything else.
i haven’t been exposed to mini tuners yet. I’ve seen Maniac from the M7 site and now this one. What site are these guys on? I’m guessing you like the RMW over Maniac.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:28 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jk6672

i haven’t been exposed to mini tuners yet. I’ve seen Maniac from the M7 site and now this one. What site are these guys on? I’m guessing you like the RMW over Maniac.
http://www.revolutionmini.com/

Jan from RMW is the man for the r53. He custom tunes cars through the obd port, can remote tune. He has traveled the country doing tunes for years, will update the tunes for new mods. He also has developed most of the good stuff for our cars.

His number is (949) 456-9590
He is based jn California, so keep that in mind.

The following users liked this post:
jk6672 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc

http://www.revolutionmini.com/

Jan from RMW is the man for the r53. He custom tunes cars through the obd port, can remote tune. He has traveled the country doing tunes for years, will update the tunes for new mods. He also has developed most of the good stuff for our cars.

His number is (949) 456-9590
He is based jn California, so keep that in mind.
now that I like. I also have a tuned RAM 3500 and I use an EZ-LYNK, which acts as a portal for tuners to send me tunes and I can monitor everything from my iPad or iPhone via built in WiFi on ezlynk in lieu of Bluetooth.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Does anyone have feedback on the WMW ignition package and WMW 15% pulley package? Would the ignition package be an upgrade from my current one? The price seems low compared to some coil packs I've seen. I have the JCW tuning kit on my R53.
Since you're new here and new to Mini, it's best to start simple and get used to the car first.

First what year is your car?
This will tell use which JCW kit (there were 2 different power levels depending on the years. 200 & 210 bhp. This will also tell us which injectors are in the car.)
The only thing I would do now, besides fluids, belt and possibly a new tensioner would be to change the plugs.
(You want NGK BKR7EIX for your car and the JCW kit)
Then be ready to change the crank pulley very soon, you'll want the ATI Super Damper, and since you already have a 11% reduced pulley from the JCW kit (which BTW are notoriously difficult to remove compared to the regular OEM pulleys) just get the 2% over sized ATI, and it will put you very close to the 15% from the kit.
The factory coil packs and wires are very good and unless you're having an issue I wouldn't bother, if you are I would simply go with the factory replacement parts, they are simply tried and true. (My factory coil has 225,000 miles on it and I'm running in excess of 350 whp with my setup.)

Then, make sure you aren't running the run flat tires if you want any decent traction at all.
And follow that with a front brake upgrade (even if it's only better pads) and rear sway bar upgrade.

After all of these things, and a little more research and familiarity with the car and other available modifications, if you still want more, look into tuning and additional "go fast" parts then. Tuning with the Mini is no where near as easy as what you're used to and should be done only after you've finished with your physical modifications or if one of those modifications require it.

While these things may not sound like much, they will change the driving experience of your car for the good and give you a good foundation to build on if you so desire, besides giving you the best bang-4-your buck while keeping wasted funds to a minimum.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 09-30-2018 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jk6672 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:10 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
It’s a 2004 manual. I already ordered some new hubs from Detroit and a set of forged BBS wheels as I still have the stock run flat tires. After the hubs, the plan is to upgrade to some wilwood brakes. Yes I want to change the plugs and that’s why I was thinking the WMW pulley kit with colder plugs to start. I also have a little seepage from the hose that goes from the power steering pump to the resivoir so I’m going to order a new hose and was thinking, while I’m at it to replace the OEM resivoir with aluminum one I can powder coat for some bling.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
No ignition package or parts will ever give you gains in HP. But if you have worn out/aged wires or corroaded terminals on the coil, or worn spark plugs you can be loosing power. The stock wires actually will have the year they were made written on them so that will give you an idea if they are original.
Since you have a JCW if you want more power I'd actually lean toward going with the 2%larger ATI damper crank pulley. This will give you a little bump in boost, but also replace the stock rubber crank pulley that will eventually fail so it will be a maint item too.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html
Then for more gain add our Mild street cam as it works great on the JCW to give you a good gain and keep it reliable, without a bad idle.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mi...t-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
It’s a 2004 manual. I already ordered some new hubs from Detroit and a set of forged BBS wheels as I still have the stock run flat tires. After the hubs, the plan is to upgrade to some wilwood brakes. Yes I want to change the plugs and that’s why I was thinking the WMW pulley kit with colder plugs to start. I also have a little seepage from the hose that goes from the power steering pump to the resivoir so I’m going to order a new hose and was thinking, while I’m at it to replace the OEM resivoir with aluminum one I can powder coat for some bling.
The 2004 will have the earlier JCW kit (200 bhp) so if you do plan any other engine modifications some new injectors will be in order. The 200bhp kits still used the factory 330cc injectors, you can upgrade to the later 380cc injectors with no tuning required, or go big if you plan on big modifications, (big cam, big valve head, etc...) but anything larger than the 380's will require an immediate tune, the car won't run at all on them without it.

You can also get advise from either Way, as above or Chad from Detroit Tuned, neither will steer you wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.