Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 build recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM
dspeed22
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 build recommendations

I have an 08 r56 JCW (none jcw engine) that now has a blown motor, timing chain let go. It has been mostly stock with upgraded brakes and has 80K miles on it. I am contemplating doing an a build on this car for street/track. Thinking I may need a new long block but its possible I can rebuild the head and bottom end. Looking for recommendations on performance components for the build. I have looked briefly at ECS tuning's long blocks and Pro-werx performance engines. Will be getting an upgraded turbo and also putting limited slit diff in the trans. I would like to get up to the 400 hp range staying in a budget of 15k or so. I have experience rebuilding and boosting Honda engines but that was about 15 years ago those were easy .

Looking for recommendations for all components.

Will the trans handle 400 hp with after market clutch?
What clutch kit should I use?
What turbo supplier rebuilder is recommended?
What injectors?
Will stock high pressure/low pressure fuel pump handle the fuel demand?
Do I need to get the ecu flashed or is there another tuner replacement ecu? Or is any good recommendations for tuning shops in my area (Seattle)?
Any particular issues that anyone has run into doing something similar?

- Doug

Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 AM
dspeed22
Neutral
oops realized I put this in the gen 1 forum. Moved to 56 forum https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4424200

Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
From my own research for my build, Ive found:
A=

*trans = yes.. axles.. no
*clutch = OS Geiken or similar stg3+ will suit more tq than the motor will output
*talk to Mario Palza here on the forums (aka mario kart).. upgraded turbine or big turbo setup
*cant change injectors
*stock HPFP will NOT handle more than ~320HP at the crank - replacing the in-tank fuel pump with a high output pump could get you a bit further (safely?)
*RPM power tuning for your ECU needs.. again - Mario is the man

Few other things -

*stock head/valves/cam will hold you back the closer you get to 300whp
*JCW bottom end is good to ~300whp - though many folks approaching that level have replaced the OEM rod bolts for ARP hardware (can be done anytime)
*Methanol injection will be needed as you will run out of fuel otherwise

The following users liked this post:
dspeed22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM
dspeed22
Neutral
Do you know if there is a difference btw blocks for JCW and S? I am pretty sure I will probably need to to sleeve the block and replace the pistons if I keep the bottom end. Haven't taken it apart yet, but it ran for about 30 secs after the chain broke. Looked in the oil cap and its not good, valves definitely hit the pistons.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The Forged internals, ecu flash, updated intake pipe design, different turbo. Those are some of the main differences. I have an R58 JCW and had an R56 MCS. The later N14 engines from the factory hold up better compared to the earlier ones. Sneed4speed has full built engines that replace the internals and then you could do a JM Turbo Cooper turbo. Some options there. For a clucth, you could do OS Giken. They are the most well known and from looking at the way they are made, pretty nicely built. They have 2 levels.

Form having both an early R56 MCS and the later Germany built JCW engine.The JCW will hold up better from the factory if modded, but if you fully build a MCS engine up it could get to that same level.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172