Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 build recommendations

Old 10-03-2018, 11:29 AM
dspeed22
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 build recommendations

I have an 08 r56 JCW (none jcw engine) that now has a blown motor, timing chain let go. It has been mostly stock with upgraded brakes and has 80K miles on it. I am contemplating doing an a build on this car for street/track. Thinking I may need a new long block but its possible I can rebuild the head and bottom end. Looking for recommendations on performance components for the build. I have looked briefly at ECS tuning's long blocks and Pro-werx performance engines. Will be getting an upgraded turbo and also putting limited slit diff in the trans. I would like to get up to the 400 hp range staying in a budget of 15k or so. I have experience rebuilding and boosting Honda engines but that was about 15 years ago those were easy .

Looking for recommendations for all components.

Will the trans handle 400 hp with after market clutch?
What clutch kit should I use?
What turbo supplier rebuilder is recommended?
What injectors?
Will stock high pressure/low pressure fuel pump handle the fuel demand?
Do I need to get the ecu flashed or is there another tuner replacement ecu? Or is any good recommendations for tuning shops in my area (Seattle)?
Any particular issues that anyone has run into doing something similar?

- Doug

Old 10-03-2018, 03:59 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
400 hp
is asking quite a bit
even with a custom turbo set up
are fuel pumps can’t handle that
& ecm can’t handle the mapping
even with a scs Delta I wasn’t getting the fuel need,
i tryed doing a build with 12:25.1 compression
with low boost
and it failed miserably do to fuel delivery issues

Now there are companies that are working on 4 port
Injection set ups
but my guess would be a little ways out
Personally I would stay away from ECS anything

Lohen.co.uk
has good deals on crate motors
Pretty positive they will build to spec as well

or or get ahold of the rpm guys

also
you just don’t get
Injectors with are cars

The following users liked this post:
dspeed22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:57 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Part of your rebuild should be a Cylinder Support System --- something to put between the water jacket and cylinder walls. I used https://cylindersupportsystem.com even tho he's on the east coast. He only needs the top half of the block. This's a good time to get the crank balanced too. Then, you want over 300WHP, improve the engine "breathing" --- port the head. I used Thumper Performance, also on the east coast. And go for at least a 3" exhaust system. For a turbo, look at Garrett's G25-550 / 660 series, or maybe some of the Borg Warner EFR's. Be advised that these will have slower spooling, which will affect your launch, especially if you use a lightened flywheel. I'd avoid the usual OEM turbo replacements --- nowhere near 400WHP capability.

I highly recommend a WMI system. I use Howerton's HFS4 but he's no longer supplying them, only accessories. Maybe Aquamist has the complete package.
OS Giken makes a very durable clutch / flywheel and LSD. Pricey but long lasting.

Think about cams too. Schrick and Cat are both popular, with a small selection available. WMW also makes a set, but good luck getting specs. Again, no improvement for launch but awesome high RPM results.

I'm looking at a new exhaust manifold too --- scarra73 in Italy has a couple shown on his web site, and "Godzilla" based in Portugal has it installed. He brags on over 400WHP but hasn't posted a dyno chart to support his claim. There's also a custom intake manifold on scarra73's site.

Then with over 300WHP, you'll need colder spark plugs. I'm using heat range 9 NGK's. And while the head's getting ported, have them install Inconel exhaust and high temp intakes --- these direct injection engines tend to run really hot, 'specially on the track. Intake manifold with WMI at each port should help with cooling.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket injectors or HPFP --- a major limit to power builders. So far, there are no aftermarket ECU's to replace OEM. Supposedly, there's an "add-on" ECU available, but I haven't seen or heard of any installations.

For tuning, I use Manic's stage 4 --- love it!. There's several installers around the country, but Manic's been hard to work with lately, and might not be available. There's also RPM, supposedly an improvement over Manic, but that opinion comes from the RPM installer. If you get into the high HP range right away (stages 3 & 4), I strongly recommend NOT mailing the ECU for the tune install. Drive to the installer and do road testing / datalogging --- no substitute.

I've glossed over the obvious "bolt-ons" --- FMIC, CAI, OCC, etc. These are all readily available and require their own hook-up, depending on the major components you choose.

Lotsa info for one post, and I've probably blown your $15K budget. If you haven't already seen it, my "build journal" covers about 7 years of learning. It's maybe a ½ hour read, takes 3 separate threads, and has a few pics --- start here --- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3240122

Keep us posted with your decisions ---

The following users liked this post:
dspeed22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:07 PM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Talk to Lorenzo he is in Vancouver B.C. just up across the line from u, check out RPM power on line they do some wild **** but its not cheap.