Drivetrain Dinan Elite JCW CEL P12A9 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The guy who did my Manic stage 1 ECU tune had to first install new Mini firmware, which took like 90 minutes. The ECU tune only took about 20 min. Cost was $500. He says most of his customers had already bought a piggyback unit. Said you can't hardly give those away. Car is REALLY fast, and it was fast before.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:18 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Sorry to necro this post but I just wanted to add that I have the same codes (P12A9 and P10F2) on my 2015 F56 S with the Dinan Elite. Dinan was not able to fix the issue and recommended I return the Elite.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting the code on my F56S too. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the JCW Pro tune on the ECU. Waiting to hear back from Dinan.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
I had asked Dinan a while back if the Elite could be used with an S w/ the JCW Tuning Kit. They said "Technically it will work but the top end of the RPM band will be a bit “jumpy” for lack of a better term and it will not optimize the power. The JCW tuning kit and the normal JCW edition should be using the ELITE designed for the JCW in order to maximize power and drivability.

Nathan Fette

Dinan Corp."

So it may be the cause of the CEL but I doubt it is as I don't have the tuning kit and was getting the CEL nearly every time I started my car.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
I had asked Dinan a while back if the Elite could be used with an S w/ the JCW Tuning Kit. They said

Originally Posted by El-Grunto
Technically it will work but the top end of the RPM band will be a bit “jumpy” for lack of a better term and it will not optimize the power. The JCW tuning kit and the normal JCW edition should be using the ELITE designed for the JCW in order to maximize power and drivability.

Nathan Fette

Dinan Corp.

So it may be the cause of the CEL but I doubt it is as I don't have the tuning kit and was getting the CEL nearly every time I started my car.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I had asked Dinan a while back if the Elite could be used with an S w/ the JCW Tuning Kit. They said

How long have you had the elite on the car? Did you get this fixed?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by G26okie
How long have you had the elite on the car? Did you get this fixed?
Elite and harness came off several weeks ago. Haven't had either of the CELs since then. Elite originally went on back in November. Ran well for about 3k miles then issues started coming up. Seemed to be an issue with the wiring harness as the module was replaced and the issues persisted. Ran with the harness installed but with the bypass instead of the module and the issues still came up. Dinan seemed to lose interest in pursuing the problem after a few months of troubleshooting and told me to just return the whole thing. Returned the Elite at least a thousand miles ago and worked towards RPM Stage 2 over the past month. Haven't had any issues since the Elite's wiring harness came off. So no, technically my issues with the Elite were never fixed. At least not in a way that made it work properly with my car. But yes, in the sense that I now have a more powerful tune with no issues so far. Of course, I haven't hit 3K miles with the RPM tune yet so who knows if something will pop up lol

Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Elite and harness came off several weeks ago. Haven't had either of the CELs since then. Elite originally went on back in November. Ran well for about 3k miles then issues started coming up. Seemed to be an issue with the wiring harness as the module was replaced and the issues persisted. Ran with the harness installed but with the bypass instead of the module and the issues still came up. Dinan seemed to lose interest in pursuing the problem after a few months of troubleshooting and told me to just return the whole thing. Returned the Elite at least a thousand miles ago and worked towards RPM Stage 2 over the past month. Haven't had any issues since the Elite's wiring harness came off. So no, technically my issues with the Elite were never fixed. At least not in a way that made it work properly with my car. But yes, in the sense that I now have a more powerful tune with no issues so far. Of course, I haven't hit 3K miles with the RPM tune yet so who knows if something will pop up lol
Gotcha. Well, I've been on the elite for 10k miles with no issues, hopefully it stays that way.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
If you've gone 10k with it I'm sure you won't see any problems with it ever. It also seems to be a fairly solid piggyback and was quite good when it worked but I just happened to be one of the unlucky few. My warranty is almost up so I'd be selling the Elite soon if I still had it to move on to an ECU flash anyway.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:53 AM
rmathiesen
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same code cleared

I got this same code. I have 2015 S F55. Code popped on while car was at idle. Went to auto zone and cleared the code after I saw it was the boost code. The engine light didn’t go out at first. Then after a mile of driving it cleared. That was this morning. I have a Dinan elite turner on mine. Has around 3000 miles on the turner installed. I’ll let you know if it comes back. Was wired the way the code went away after a short drive, after it was cleared amd didn’t go away at first.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:27 PM
rmathiesen
Neutral
Dinan replacing elite tuner.

Update. Just got an email from Dinan. They requested my shipping address to send replacement unit. Totally impressed with the way they are handling this.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Update on fix

So I sent mine to Dinan and they replaced it with a new unit, along with a new harness. After a while, I started getting the same drivetrain code again. Took the Dinan off and took my car to MINI; they did some diagnostics, cleared the codes. Drove the car for a couple months, no codes, then reinstalled the Dinan.... codes intermittently come back. Took it off again when I took the car back to MINI for a radiator replacement under recall, but when I went to reinstalled it after I came home one of the connector housings cracked on the car side (I think it's the Charge Air Tube sensor). It plugs in, but I wasn't confident that it was going to hold well, so I threaded a long tie wrap through the wires and around it to hold the connection tight. Since then, I haven't had a code pop up once. I think I found my problem, it wasn't seating the connection well. Maybe this will help out someone else.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:13 PM
rmathiesen
Neutral
Loose connection

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check that first this weekend. Appreciate the reply.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:06 PM
Ishihara
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have any pictures of your work? I've had issues with my unit seemingly every 5k since I had it installed. Four times the dealer has replaced it but I'd be willing to try a home fix, as I really *really* like what it does to this engine...

Old 02-18-2021, 01:46 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ishihara
do you have any pictures of your work? I've had issues with my unit seemingly every 5k since I had it installed. Four times the dealer has replaced it but I'd be willing to try a home fix, as I really *really* like what it does to this engine...
No pictures. Just a long zip tie threaded through the wires on each side, pulling the connection right. Still no codes!

Old 05-05-2021, 06:40 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I purchased a Dinan Elite for my new to me 2017 F56S. It has run incredibly since last July when installed. Then April 2021 it started tossing "drivetrain malfunction" errors with eventually tossing the CEL codes P12A9 and P10F2. I'm working with Dinan but feel after a lot of research that numerous folks have gone down the rabbit hole trying to fix a frustrating problem. I will post my outcome. So far Dinan has been responsive.