Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

JB+ VS NM power module for the N18?

  #1  
Old 09-21-2017, 05:48 AM
ke3ee
ke3ee is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 277
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
JB+ VS NM power module for the N18?

Has anyone tried the "new" NM power module for the N18 and if so have you also used a JB+?
 
  #2  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM
kevin_
kevin_ is offline
3rd Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious too. I was just about to go ahead with the tune, but then saw this!
 
  #3  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 AM
KCLARK
KCLARK is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 198
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
  #4  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 AM
MarioKart's Avatar
MarioKart
MarioKart is online now
Vendor
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 3,194
Likes: 0
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't believe NM makes one for the N18. Only the new F series

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
 
__________________
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
  #5  
Old 09-28-2017, 05:15 PM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 131
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart View Post
I don't believe NM makes one for the N18. Only the new F series

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
Nope, they definitely make one for the N18, I ordered one last week through Way Motor Works. I don't have any experience with the JB+ but my Booty-Dyno says the NM module is doing something good for my 2013 R56. Also, my scan gauge was showing around 14.5 lbs of boost before the NM module was hooked up, now it reads around 17.9+ under full throttle. I don't know if that means anything, but it feels fun.
 
  #6  
Old 09-30-2017, 04:33 PM
4mikebruns's Avatar
4mikebruns
4mikebruns is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I was eyeballing it on ECS tuning after I got the JB+ which wasn't very impressive. Ended up going Manic Stage 2 and not looking back. hitting 19-20PSI on Map A. Killed my buddies MK6 GTI Stage 2 Uni by 4 car lengths.
 
  #7  
Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 PM
WindchaserR60
WindchaserR60 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any update on the NM power module?
 
  #8  
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 131
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WindchaserR60 View Post
Any update on the NM power module?
I haven't done any serious data collection on it, but I can confirm that it pulls harder and is very noticeable after 3500 RPM.

The only issues I've encountered is the occasional limp mode light. This has happened five times now. The car does not actually go into limp mode and the error log indicates code 002C57, Charge Pressure Control, plausibility: pressure too low. The fault could not be cleared with the Scanguage, I had to use Carly.

Here’s the log from Carly for BMW:

Faultcode: charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low
Faultset 1:
(appeared at: 97200.0km)
IAT:
8.25 °C
speed:
133.75 km/h
Engine speed:
0.00 1/min
Relative load:
0.00 %

Faultcode: charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low
Faultset 2:
(appeared at: 1000.0km)
IAT:
0.75 °C
speed:
147.50 km/h
Engine speed:
0.00 1/min
Relative load:
35.25 %

Faultcode: charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low
Faultset 3:
(appeared at: 600.0km)
IAT:
32.25 °C
speed:
156.25 km/h
Engine speed:
0.00 1/min
Relative load:
0.00 %

Faultcode: charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low
Faultset 4:
(appeared at: 520.0km)
IAT:
40.50 °C
speed:
93.75 km/h
Engine speed:
1880.00 1/min
Relative load:
0.00 %

Faultcode: charge pressure control, plausibility: pressure too low
Faultset 5:
(appeared at: 856.0km)
IAT:
45.75 °C
speed:
81.25 km/h
Engine speed:
0.00 1/min
Relative load:
0.00 %
 
  #9  
Old 10-27-2017, 01:26 PM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,707
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Angryson View Post
Nope, they definitely make one for the N18, I don't have any experience with the JB+ but my Booty-Dyno says the NM module is doing something good for my 2013 R56. Also, my scan gauge was showing around 14.5 lbs of boost before the NM module was hooked up, now it reads around 17.9+ under full throttle. I don't know if that means anything, but it feels fun.
Yep they make one now. NM.648856

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_N18_NM_Engineering_Tuner_25039/

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-products.html
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #10  
Old 10-27-2017, 02:25 PM
WindchaserR60
WindchaserR60 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of feedback are you guys getting, I have seen a few people are having some issues with it.
 
  #11  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning
ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 27,707
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
I have seen with most people positive results.
 
__________________

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
  #12  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 AM
ke3ee
ke3ee is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 277
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No reflection on ECS but I had to return mine. I had a Burger JB+ on my ALL4S and it ran great. I sold that and purchased the NM. From the start I had issues. I spoke with NM's engineer several times on the phone and he felt that their voltage curve was too aggressive at lower RPM causing too much boost faster that the ECU could compensate with fuel and timing. He had me open the unit and move the two switches into the 2nd position making the unit a little less aggressive which worked 80% of the time. If you were to just stomp on the pedal at low RPM's the car would bog, lurch and go into limp mode temporarily. After 3 or 4 times I had enough and called ECS for a return. I also have a 2012 ALL4S with a Manic stage 1 tune, 1 step colder plugs, a Catback exhaust and this experience just told me " get your 2016 tuned dummy". Which I will be doing very shortly.
 
The following users liked this post:
FourLeaf (08-18-2018)
  #13  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:12 AM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 131
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ke3ee View Post
No reflection on ECS but I had to return mine. I had a Burger JB+ on my ALL4S and it ran great. I sold that and purchased the NM. From the start I had issues. I spoke with NM's engineer several times on the phone and he felt that their voltage curve was too aggressive at lower RPM causing too much boost faster that the ECU could compensate with fuel and timing. He had me open the unit and move the two switches into the 2nd position making the unit a little less aggressive which worked 80% of the time. If you were to just stomp on the pedal at low RPM's the car would bog, lurch and go into limp mode temporarily. After 3 or 4 times I had enough and called ECS for a return. I also have a 2012 ALL4S with a Manic stage 1 tune, 1 step colder plugs, a Catback exhaust and this experience just told me " get your 2016 tuned dummy". Which I will be doing very shortly.

Just out of curiosity, what model MINI, what transmission and what mods did you have at the time?

I've noticed that my issue (Charge Pressure Control, plausibility: pressure too low) has gone away since I changed to a larger FMIC. The larger FMIC has resulted in around a 1 PSI loss of boost (dropping from 17.5ish closer to 16.5) and I think that may have solved the problem for me.
 

Last edited by scotty_r56s; 11-06-2017 at 06:29 AM.
  #14  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 AM
ke3ee
ke3ee is offline
3rd Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 277
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My 2016 has 1 step colder plugs, a K&N panel filter and a Megan racing Catback.

My 2012 with the Manic tune at full throttle has done 20 PSI with no ill effects or issues. So the less than $200 difference between the tune and the NM is for me a No Brainer.

And yes my 2012 was and still is under the extended warranty and has been to the dealer several times with the tune and Ive never had an issue with service, warranty etc.
 
  #15  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 AM
WindchaserR60
WindchaserR60 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ke3ee View Post
My 2016 has 1 step colder plugs, a K&N panel filter and a Megan racing Catback.

My 2012 with the Manic tune at full throttle has done 20 PSI with no ill effects or issues. So the less than $200 difference between the tune and the NM is for me a No Brainer.

And yes my 2012 was and still is under the extended warranty and has been to the dealer several times with the tune and Ive never had an issue with service, warranty etc.
Thank you for your information, I think stage 2 tune for me in the near future!
 
  #16  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Aarr60
Aarr60 is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the same issues with my 2014 R60 S All4. If I baby the throttle up to about 3500 RPM, the car responds with an awesome surge of boost and no issues. If I'm too aggressive though, I get the same bog and "limp mode" feel that others have experienced. Going with a MarioKart tune in the future instead. NM just wasn't for me!
 
  #17  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM
WindchaserR60
WindchaserR60 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aarr60 View Post
Have the same issues with my 2014 R60 S All4. If I baby the throttle up to about 3500 RPM, the car responds with an awesome surge of boost and no issues. If I'm too aggressive though, I get the same bog and "limp mode" feel that others have experienced. Going with a MarioKart tune in the future instead. NM just wasn't for me!
It is kind of sad that the nm power module have so much issues!
 
  #18  
Old 01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Flea77's Avatar
Flea77
Flea77 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Huntsville, Tx
Posts: 67
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one on my 15 R60 and so far (knocking on wood) have had zero issues with it. In all fairness however the weather got cold and nasty right as I got it so I have not had the opportunity to REALLY hammer on it. The few times I have hit it pretty hard it has done well.

Even if another dealer didnt have a problem with a tune and warranty work, the extended warranty was very expensive and so having the ability to unplug this guy and have a stock computer was worth the lower performance. Once I get out of warranty and replace the FMIC I will probably go with a stage 2 tune.
 
  #19  
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Mister Spice
Mister Spice is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 58
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ke3ee View Post
No reflection on ECS but I had to return mine. I had a Burger JB+ on my ALL4S and it ran great. I sold that and purchased the NM. From the start I had issues. I spoke with NM's engineer several times on the phone and he felt that their voltage curve was too aggressive at lower RPM causing too much boost faster that the ECU could compensate with fuel and timing. He had me open the unit and move the two switches into the 2nd position making the unit a little less aggressive which worked 80% of the time. If you were to just stomp on the pedal at low RPM's the car would bog, lurch and go into limp mode temporarily. After 3 or 4 times I had enough and called ECS for a return. I also have a 2012 ALL4S with a Manic stage 1 tune, 1 step colder plugs, a Catback exhaust and this experience just told me " get your 2016 tuned dummy". Which I will be doing very shortly.
I too had several stalling, studder and hesitation issues with my NM N18 Power Module on my stock 2015 R61s ALL4 K&N Air Panel. NM has had my unit for amonth now testing. im ready for a refund since i adviced them about the problem 10 days after i had the unit installed. I even had the Mini dealership keep the car for a week and check the car for issues. not unitl i decided to place the unit on my wifes 2012 R57 N18 and the same issues happened to her car. its been turned into dealer for swap or refund. 30 days later and not return calls from NM after i called them about the testing. I ordered a JB+ and seeking a refund from NM now.
 
  #20  
Old 03-28-2018, 12:09 AM
Nader230
Nader230 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Spice View Post
I too had several stalling, studder and hesitation issues with my NM N18 Power Module on my stock 2015 R61s ALL4 K&N Air Panel. NM has had my unit for amonth now testing. im ready for a refund since i adviced them about the problem 10 days after i had the unit installed. I even had the Mini dealership keep the car for a week and check the car for issues. not unitl i decided to place the unit on my wifes 2012 R57 N18 and the same issues happened to her car. its been turned into dealer for swap or refund. 30 days later and not return calls from NM after i called them about the testing. I ordered a JB+ and seeking a refund from NM now.
I've had the NM power module on my 2012 R57 S N18 for about 2000km now with no issues. Loving it.
However, the car went into limp mode only once, that was when I turned on the air conditioning for the first time after installing the power module. I just parked to the side of the road, let it sit idle for 5 mins with minor revving of the engine. Drove off with no issues.
 
  #21  
Old 03-31-2018, 11:41 AM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 131
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nader230 View Post
I've had the NM power module on my 2012 R57 S N18 for about 2000km now with no issues. Loving it.
However, the car went into limp mode only once, that was when I turned on the air conditioning for the first time after installing the power module. I just parked to the side of the road, let it sit idle for 5 mins with minor revving of the engine. Drove off with no issues.
I'm pretty sure the A/C is what was putting mine in limp mode. It got to the point that i'd shut off the A/C anytime I planned in passing or really getting into the throttle. I've since sold my NM bit and gotten a Manic tune.
 
  #22  
Old 04-02-2018, 04:12 AM
KCLARK
KCLARK is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 198
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Angryson View Post
I've since sold my NM bit and gotten a Manic tune.


What stage did you get and do you feel it provides better power delivery than the NM module you had?
 
  #23  
Old 04-03-2018, 06:47 PM
scotty_r56s's Avatar
scotty_r56s
scotty_r56s is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 131
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK View Post
What stage did you get and do you feel it provides better power delivery than the NM module you had?
Stage 2. It is night and day. The power is delivered smoothly across the rev range. As I said earlier, the NM was great but it has it's issues. What i hadn't mentioned yet was that even with NGK 1422s, the NM module surged at high RPM.

The Manic tune is on a whole other level. I highly recommend MarioKart.
 
  #24  
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Zachary Nguyen's Avatar
Zachary Nguyen
Zachary Nguyen is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: San Diego/Orange County
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s View Post
Stage 2. It is night and day. The power is delivered smoothly across the rev range. As I said earlier, the NM was great but it has it's issues. What i hadn't mentioned yet was that even with NGK 1422s, the NM module surged at high RPM.

The Manic tune is on a whole other level. I highly recommend MarioKart.
was it conclusive that the FMIC fixed the 2C57 or did it come back at any point between the fmic install and changing to a tune instead? Getting the same issue
 
  #25  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 PM
MarioKart's Avatar
MarioKart
MarioKart is online now
Vendor
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 3,194
Likes: 0
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

 
__________________
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JB+ VS NM power module for the N18?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: