1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros & Cons of JB+ vs. NM DME tune on GP

Any advise here?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM
dyracer
1st Gear
Ok JB+ vs anyone's ECU tune? Lots of crickets here...

Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's comparing apples with well you know what. A tune moves your torque curve so you make more of it starting lower in the rev range as well as HP adjust throttle response gives you higher peak boost and maintains it.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
The JB+ moves you to a different section of the stock boost curve. An ECU tune allows a more comprehensive adjustment of all variables involved.

The JB+ requires you to up the octane via more expensive gas, E85 or meth/water injection to allow you to 'turn it up' and access higher psi levels (and corresponding timing/fueling) but they are still the 'stock' maps.

A custom tune can allow an 'E85' map, for example, with more aggressive timing, up to the limits of the fuel system, etc. The JB+ seems to just let you 'up the boost' with stock timing/fuel maps.

Last edited by yesti; 12-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
jabbr
1st Gear
Wondering if anyone with experience with both types be willing to share their thoughts/experiences. Especially with a JCW car.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 PM
yesti
5th Gear
More comparison:

The JB+ is removable without a trace. An ECU flash requires the hardware be removed, benched, and reinstalled. Voids any remaining warranty if discovered but can be undone if bench flashed again.

The ECU flashes are $500+ and your car will not run while its not installed. JB+ is $300, installs in seconds and gives you almost as much power (edit: as a stage 1 NM tune) with upgrade path to JB4 when that comes out.

As an aside, the Renntech ECU flash has two maps switched by the sport button, pretty slick, but costs a cool grand. Not possible with JB+ as it only affects one sensor.

Bang for the buck it is very hard to beat JB+, but an ECU flash with dyno time would theoretically give you maximum results.

Last edited by yesti; 12-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[JB+ is $300, installs in seconds and gives you almost as much power[/QUOTE]

Really, you don't seriously believe that do you. If so why bother with the JB4. The rest of your post is null and void depending on weather it's an N14 or an N18. You've got to ask yourself if you can spend $300 on a piggyback that's as good as a fully developed ECU tune why would anyone spend the extra dollars on anything else ?

As you stated the JB+ is for people who want something without voiding their warranty that's it. I've got no problem with that and can understand why considering past issues with Reliability.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The Renntech tune looks good.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Several people with renntech tune have had MAJOR issues with their car post-tune.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
I'll try to find a link for you to look at about some of the problems I read about on our cars. It also costs 1G and you will void the warranty.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
It's the warranty thing that makes me hesitate.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
It's the warranty thing that makes me hesitate.
Yeah me too. I've seen some pics of the actual ecu protective case with huge chunks missing out of it from these tuners prying them open and busting the clips to hell. Makes me a bit hesitant too.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 AM
dyracer
1st Gear
So basically I am hearing that the JB+ tricks the ECU into thinking it is too lean or rich? Then the ECU does it's job to compensate to allowing the current mixture increase or decrease while adjusting timing etc? This is why higher octane full is needed to keep it from knocking?
Sounds like a ECU mod may be more beneficial for a GP that will be mostly used for track use and a JB+ more for everyday use for the guy or girl that wants the ability for a little more power with no warranty issues?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dyracer
So basically I am hearing that the JB+ tricks the ECU into thinking it is too lean or rich? Then the ECU does it's job to compensate to allowing the current mixture increase or decrease while adjusting timing etc? This is why higher octane full is needed to keep it from knocking? Sounds like a ECU mod may be more beneficial for a GP that will be mostly used for track use and a JB+ more for everyday use for the guy or girl that wants the ability for a little more power with no warranty issues?
A guy with a GP has a JB and I think he's putting out close to 250hp

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
A guy with a GP has a JB and I think he's putting out close to 250hp Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
I'm that guy!! Now with my second cat removed I'm pretty sure 250whp and 270wtq is were I'm at I want to change the plugs to one colder, but not having luck. Factory plugs are from France and I can't seem to cross reference them.
My little GP is a beast. Need stickier tires
Mario

Sent from my iPhone Office

Attached Thumbnails Pros & Cons of JB+ vs. NM DME tune on GP-image-3965989388.jpg   Pros & Cons of JB+ vs. NM DME tune on GP-image-311394950.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I'm that guy!! Now with my second cat removed I'm pretty sure 250whp and 270wtq is were I'm at I want to change the plugs to one colder, but not having luck. Factory plugs are from France and I can't seem to cross reference them. My little GP is a beast. Need stickier tires Mario Sent from my iPhone Office
Awesome! I'm so impressed with your ride. By the way, I was able to get those tips welded back on for a measly 20 bucks. Thanks for the offer of the JCW tips, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to have my exact same car, but thank you for the offer. When I move back to LA sometime soon, I'm pretty sure i want to do it in about 9 months, I'll have to see your ride. It sounds like a beast!!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
I'm that guy!! Now with my second cat removed I'm pretty sure 250whp and 270wtq is were I'm at I want to change the plugs to one colder, but not having luck. Factory plugs are from France and I can't seem to cross reference them. My little GP is a beast. Need stickier tires Mario Sent from my iPhone Office
I'll tell you, my michelin PS A/S 3's are stickier than most summer tires I've sampled. They are quite expensive, but they are still cheaper than a set of "run hards" lol. You might want to think about looking at them. They are awesome tires.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
There is now way that the scooter in the picture has 250 whp. Lol

Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
There is now way that the scooter in the picture has 250 whp. Lol
LMAO. That would be one sick little scooter if it had 250HP.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
LMAO. That would be one sick little scooter if it had 250HP. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Go Ped is 250whp and Mini is 700whp

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Go Ped is 250whp and Mini is 700whp Sent from my iPhone Office
Damn, I don't know what sounds like more fun...the scooter or the GP. I think a drag race is necessary to settle this once and for all!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
TunedGP
2nd Gear
I think its time for a sound clip!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
Really, you don't seriously believe that do you. If so why bother with the JB4. The rest of your post is null and void depending on weather it's an N14 or an N18. You've got to ask yourself if you can spend $300 on a piggyback that's as good as a fully developed ECU tune why would anyone spend the extra dollars on anything else ?

As you stated the JB+ is for people who want something without voiding their warranty that's it. I've got no problem with that and can understand why considering past issues with Reliability.
Sorry, let me clarify. The JB+ makes almost as much power as Stage 1 NM ECU tune which is what this thread is about. (20hp/30tq for JB+, 25-30hp/30-35tq NM). On a bone stock car the JB+ is indeed pretty close.

The JB4 is a different animal completely with more sensors affected at the very least. Plus we are still dealing with the limitations of the engine in terms of fueling and detonation. The GP2's making 250whp with the JB+ are using E85 (Mariokart) or meth injection to curb detonation.

If the OP is driving a N14 then they are wasting their time with this thread since the JB+ is only for N18 engines. (checking) Nope, 2013 GP2 with N18 engine.

I didn't say the JB+ was as good as a fully developed ECU tune, in fact I listed some limitations of it in my last posts I believe.

Any tune can have problems. Even the stock tune can blow your engine if you drive like an idiot. It bangs along the knock threshold at relatively lean A/F ratios, even on boost, only going a little rich at WOT to keep from melting down.

Back on topic, taking from the NM website:

The NM tune can adjust for different octane levels (91+), the JB+ requires you to open it and adjust a pot (92 octane for default 50% setting, 97 for 100% setting).

The NM tune adjusts the throttle mapping, the JB+ does not affect stock mapping.

Last edited by yesti; 12-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had both. JB+ hands down. Plays better with the car. Always felt like the car was fighting the tune.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
jabbr
1st Gear
I bought the GP mostly as a track car, so this question is to the JB+ users, but any comments from other tunes is appreciated. Do you guys run your cars on the track regularly? I am looking at this as I want the best/safest unit for 20 minutes of continual thrashing for 4 to 5 times a day. Not just an occasion blast down an on ramp or a dyno day pull. I would like to put together a good package of dependable extra power. One that I can finish the day, drive it home and not worry about it. I know this is possible in an R53, but this is first step into the R56 area and don't want to be the guy at the track always with the hood up between sessions trying to track down the latest problem. I want the driver to be the weak link not the car. So anyone have any experience in that area? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of JB+ vs. NM DME tune on GP