Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain N18 Engine Rebuild + K04 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM
fyarad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N18 Engine Rebuild + K04 Turbo

Hi, I'm working on my Mini Cooper S R56 N18 on a full rebuild and trying to decide on which turbo to use.

Owen developments offers me a K04 turbine wheel with 7° cut back on the exhaust wheel, 63.5mm HTA billet compressor wheel, Journal bearing 360° thrust bearing.

Other option is to go with the Garrett or JMT45

Plus I will have this setup installed:

- AEM intake
- Wagner Intercooler
- NGK Colder Spark Plugs
- SuperTech Forged Pistons (CR 10:0)
- SuperTech Forged Rods
- JCW Exhaust Manifold and head gasket (1,2mm)
- Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection
- And of course, a Manic Stage 3 to work with these new mods.

And I still have to decide on the downpipe and exhaust, I currently have a catless 2.5" downpipe and an Akrapovic exhaust. Considering about moving to 3" downpipe and exhaust.

Anybody has worked with Owen before? Would a 3" exhaust be a requirement if I get a K04 turbo?

Any feedback is welcome, still deciding which turbo get.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 AM
sailorboy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi... I know it's been a while since your post, but how many miles did you have on your N18 engine, and why does it need a rebuild? I've got a 2008 N14 with 129K on it and i just replaced the timing chain and tensioner because it sounded like I had a sticky valve. Tow mechanics told me it was the tensioner. Got the car back yesterday and it sounds like a diesel. Mechanic told me that both camshafts were out of round. Not happy as I've taken care of the engine with oil changes, spark plugs, etc., and I don't drive it like a maniac... Thanks!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:57 AM
fyarad
Neutral
Hi, that's bad to hear.. The timing chain and tensioner are a really common fail in the N18, probably those mechanics didn't saw the whole picture.. If you need to change camshafts you can find them here http://www.sneed4speed.com/r56-cat-cams-camshaft/

I had 33k miles on my N18, I had problems with some piston rings and also the turbo somehow ended up broken.. So I decided to put a bigger turbo and having already the engine opened up I decided it was good opportunity to forge piston and rods since now most of use will be on track..

Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 AM
sailorboy
2nd Gear
Hi... My mechanic tells me that the new engines in most cars these days are not meant to be rebuilt as they don't have the metal in them for boring and shaping down the head, etc. I asked him about installing new rings and he said it wasn't worth it. I don't mind putting a little money into the engine if I can count on it to run. I add 1/2 quart of oil every 500 miles. I just replaced the oxygen sensors and one was carbon fouled. Now I know where the oil is going. The spark plugs show normal wear with no fouling, but that is in part because the coils fire at such high temps that they burn any oil in the top of the cylinders. I was hoping to get 200K out of this engine, but I think I'm dreaming....lol. I could do a walnut cleaning of the valves which I'm sure it needs, install new camshafts and any other worn out components and see if that helps. I was hoping that the N18 engines were a little more reliable. I know the turbo puts a lot of stress on the engine components. I wonder if the non turbo N18's are longer lasting engines? Thanks for your reply. Peter in Grand Junction, CO

Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 AM
fyarad
Neutral
Yes, I was lucky I didn't had to do any boring or machine work on the block, N18 it is more reliable but I had a manic stage 2 and some heavy track use..

Maybe your mini is telling you in some way it's time for the F56 hahah

Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 AM
sailorboy
2nd Gear
Hi again, I was surprised to see how little wear was on the replacement timing chain tensioner that was replaced at 40K miles. The one they took out looked brand new. I wonder if I could have just replaced the spring tensioner bolt? I saw a post on here and that is what he did to solve the issue. It is time to look at some alternatives. I do like driving the Mini and it gets great gas mileage and kicks *** in the snow with good snow tires on it... Have a fun weekend!

Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fyarad
Hi, that's bad to hear.. The timing chain and tensioner are a really common fail in the N18, probably those mechanics didn't saw the whole picture.. If you need to change camshafts you can find them here http://www.sneed4speed.com/r56-cat-cams-camshaft/

I had 33k miles on my N18, I had problems with some piston rings and also the turbo somehow ended up broken.. So I decided to put a bigger turbo and having already the engine opened up I decided it was good opportunity to forge piston and rods since now most of use will be on track..
These all look like N14 cams not N18 or have I missed somthing

Old 05-22-2017, 04:31 PM
fyarad
Neutral
Yes, those are N14 camshafts

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
DPMinis11
1st Gear
I'm rocking a 2011 MCS N18. just installed a hybrid 47mm k04 from MiniMainia, wagner cooler, 3in catless DP into 2.25 straight pipe, (little too loud HAHA), NM hi flow piping and forge BOV. going to need a tune eventually but runs decent as is! I tried the colder plugs and O2 sensor CEL fix adaptors but removed them and re installed stock and its loving it. once tuned I'm sure i'll need a full rebuild.. lmfao I don't dare WOT yet.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
fyarad
Neutral
Originally Posted by DPMinis11
I'm rocking a 2011 MCS N18. just installed a hybrid 47mm k04 from MiniMainia, wagner cooler, 3in catless DP into 2.25 straight pipe, (little too loud HAHA), NM hi flow piping and forge BOV. going to need a tune eventually but runs decent as is! I tried the colder plugs and O2 sensor CEL fix adaptors but removed them and re installed stock and its loving it. once tuned I'm sure i'll need a full rebuild.. lmfao I don't dare WOT yet.
hahah nice! Have you checked your AFR?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
DPMinis11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fyarad
hahah nice! Have you checked your AFR?
Not yet! the exhaust smells pretty normal, (yes i use my nose for gauge). lol
as long as she doesn't smell too rich or lean Im good..

As soon as my current mods are paid down she'll be getting tuned ASAP.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:39 PM
robyb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DPMinis11
Not yet! the exhaust smells pretty normal, (yes i use my nose for gauge). lol
as long as she doesn't smell too rich or lean Im good..

As soon as my current mods are paid down she'll be getting tuned ASAP.
What turbine wheel is on that K04 hybrid with the 47mm wheel? How delayed is boost now? Need a new turbo for my JCW N14, was thinking a hybrid with stock turbine and 44mm compressor.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 PM
DPMinis11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by robyb
What turbine wheel is on that K04 hybrid with the 47mm wheel? How delayed is boost now? Need a new turbo for my JCW N14, was thinking a hybrid with stock turbine and 44mm compressor.
Not sure, all I know is its a 47mm.. lol. Its like a friggin rocket-ship and I love it. Getting it Manic Tuned this Friday and cannot wait to feel the huge power increase. obviously you're looking to upgrade but if you're interested I'm selling my stock turbo in the marketplace?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:04 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-2-0-a-2.html

post #38 shows a few of the turbos and turbine/comp wheels. the 47mm there is for JMTCs GTD turbo, with 44mm turbine. i'd imagine the "dominator" from mini mania etc is the same, there is no reason it couldnt be smaller 42 though

Last edited by randeez; 06-08-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 AM
robyb
2nd Gear
Thanks for pointing me to that post. Great info!