Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Tough case to crack...best and brightest needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:58 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Tough case to crack...best and brightest needed

Ok, here's my situation and I need some serious problem solving from you guys please. My MCS was running just fine two months ago with Powerchip and getting around 31-32 mpg. I had it updated with V38 and added Unichip simultaneously. I started noticing that I lost performance and also percieved milage. So I did some back to back mpg checks.

1-stock, 22-24 mpg...WTF
2-Unichip map 8A, 19.7 mpg
3-Unichip map 8B, 18.6 mpg

This is not racing milage...just average driving with 5% WOT. Also, this is an average of two sets of tests. What happened???? From what I understand, the Unichip should provide extra milage as it leans the map further but that's not the case here. The ECU was reset each time and there were no other modifications except for the addition of new Kumo Ecsta MXs. Their pressure are set at 40 front, 37 rear...just as the prior Parada specs. I'm at my wits end. There is no noticable soot collection at the exhaust tips. I'm still looking for the invisible trailer behind me. Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-15-2004, 03:49 PM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are we to assume you are using the computer mpg readings? If so, a big "duh!"

Old 08-15-2004, 05:34 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Big NO. All tests were done with actual miles traveled divided by actual fuel used...Duh Sixth gear need serious advice... please...not comedy relief

My fault for not providing more info...the plugs are clean...removed and reinstall intercooler...checked all vacume fitting that I'm aware of....engine temp reading is 194f actual engine reading...HAND BRAKE IS NOT ON....and, NO I'm NOT driving with my foot on the brakes...

The map08 is for my mods...CAI, TMIC, pully, header, cat-back, TB.

Randy, Peter, Ryan...anybody...any thoughts?

Old 08-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CALL UNICHIP ALREADY!
866-643-7400

Like I've already said, my guess is there is a physical problem with your UNIchip module for some reason.

Last edited by Ryephile; 08-15-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:36 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
CALL UNICHIP ALREADY!
866-643-7400

Like I've already said, my guess is there is a physical problem with your UNIchip module for some reason.
Randy was suppose to that for me last week but hasn't gotten back with me yet and I can't get a hold of him either. I'm concerned that it's a multi-prong issue...why am I getting 22 mpg sans Unichip with V38??? Is it possible that the dealer screwed up the upgrade...cooper instead of cooper S??? Is that possible??? I wouldn't think so...I hope

Old 08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you just had the ECU flashed by the dealer, you might want to clear the adaptive memory and let the ECU re-learn. The reprogramming apparently does not clear the adaptive, and if it's not done separately, you might have things running in a mode not compatible with the new software. Since the UNIchip sitls alongside the ECU, the problem is most likely being exacerbated by the bad data.

Just a thought.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 AM
minimc
5th Gear
Do you think this could be supercharger efficiency valve related?

Rye, I know you've spent some time moding the SEV... So, thoughts?

If the SEV weren't fuctioning then fuel consumption would be way up.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted soon.
Cheers!
MC

Old 08-16-2004, 04:56 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Yes, I have reset the ECU many, many times...it practically doesn't know me LOL. I've done it via trip button method and battery disconnect. Is this what you mean Greatbear?

Minimc, the only thing I've done with the bypass valve (I think that what you meant by SEV) is add M-7's secret device. I've pulled that and checked that it wasn't plugged and it's ok.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I just spoke with Jack and Josh at Unichip. Very nice people. I'm sending the unit back for a check up and will keep you guys aprised. Tough to hear with an STI doing dyno testing in the background LOL.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:03 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
Are you saying that the driver data can be reset by disconnecting the battery? Is there another procedure with the reset button?

Thanks for your response.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:35 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Minimc, the only thing I've done with the bypass valve (I think that what you meant by SEV) is add M-7's secret device. I've pulled that and checked that it wasn't plugged and it's ok.
Well the best thing that supercharger "device" is good for is wasting gas. The bypass valve is there for a reason - two reasons actually. One - to help with fuel economy. By not running the supercharger against compressed air all of the time, there is much less drag on the engine and during mild and slower driving, the mileage greatly improves. Two - to increase supercharger life. Once again, by not constantly compressing air, the supercharger is doing less work and doing work less often. This will lead to an increase in supercharger life.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:13 PM
zfxr
5th Gear
Could also be an MAF sensor failing, when I had one go on a VW Golf rental I had once- I noticed the economy fell about 15%...

No... It's the vortex generators on your hood-scoop

Old 08-17-2004, 01:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by zfxr
Could also be an MAF sensor failing, when I had one go on a VW Golf rental I had once- I noticed the economy fell about 15%...

No... It's the vortex generators on your hood-scoop
What else happened when your MAP failed? Did it go slowly? Bet it's expensive...