Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM
BBGP2
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mario installed a stage 2 tune and ceramic DP on my Mini GP2 and I couldn't have been happier with the experience and improvements to my car.

Mario is professional, polite and attentive. If your unsure about a tune or have questions regarding the process, email or call Mario.

Thanks Mario!

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (05-01-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Manic Tune by Mario Palza 😁

Took a step into the light last week and decided to go ahead with a Stage 2 Manic Tune with Mario Palza, after a thirty minute phone call he went through the options and and what was needed for each stage.
I was Originally running a JB+ which was fun for awhile but I soon got use to it and it seemed tame and it was time for a change so after the call I sent him my ECU and JB+ ( Mario does an exchange against his tune ) and got it back the same week and installed.
Mario was always in contact via text and if there was any concern he was always responding as quick as I sent them. The weather here has been snowy and wet but I got a couple of hours on a dry road and “boy” the car has endless pull all the way to the red line that it caught me out a couple of times.
The power is constant and smooth with no hesitation and just seems endless not matter what gear you are pulling in.
Next stage maybe be a bigger Turbo but I’ll wait until I’ve done the MTTS 2018 West Coast run this year and then take the leap, until then the grins keep on coming and for me it’s been a great experience and it was good working with Mario on this project.

Last edited by Davers; 01-30-2018 at 05:06 AM.
bugeye1031 (05-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM
Phillip33
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@MarioKart just tuned my 2012 Countryman S All4 w/Stage 3
All i can say is its amazing.
His customer service is above and beyond we were having time constraints for me to come to him so instead he came to me and in an hour completely transform my mini.
I dont know why i waited so long.
If you have any doubts about getting the tune just do it you wont regret it.
Phillip

Last edited by Phillip33; 01-31-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Phillip33
@MarioKart just tuned my 2012 Countryman S All4 w/Stage 3
All i can say is its amazing.
His customer service is above and beyond we were having time constraints for me to come to him so instead he came to me and in an hour completely transform my mini.
I dont know why i waited so long.
If you have any doubts about getting the tune just do it you wont regret it.
Phillip
Nice. What turbo did you end up going with?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Phillip33
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Nice. What turbo did you end up going with?
JMTC S42
I wanted to keep the lag down which is why i didnt go with the 47
I live in the mountains and still wanted it to chug along in the low RPM's
This is my first venture into having the car tuned.
I was planning on doing it in steps Stage 1 then Stage 2 but all of my mods happened so quick and my stock turbo went out so thats what made me get the JMTC turbo (Might as well upgrade since im replacing it)
When contacted MarioKart i was planning on stage 2 but he said since i have the upgraded turbo and downpipe stage 3 was a better option to optimize it.

So here i am i went from bone stock to stage 3 and all i can say is wow this thing is FAST! Pulls all the way to redline.
Getting on the freeway my wife said you know were going 80+ already

How do you like the 47?

cswartz04 (10-03-2019)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by Phillip33
JMTC S42
I wanted to keep the lag down which is why i didnt go with the 47
I live in the mountains and still wanted it to chug along in the low RPM's
This is my first venture into having the car tuned.
I was planning on doing it in steps Stage 1 then Stage 2 but all of my mods happened so quick and my stock turbo went out so thats what made me get the JMTC turbo (Might as well upgrade since im replacing it)
When contacted MarioKart i was planning on stage 2 but he said since i have the upgraded turbo and downpipe stage 3 was a better option to optimize it.

So here i am i went from bone stock to stage 3 and all i can say is wow this thing is FAST! Pulls all the way to redline.
Getting on the freeway my wife said you know were going 80+ already

How do you like the 47?

Very cool! I've never been in a MINI, or ALL4, with a 42mm. I'm curious how it feels. Glad Mario, and not surprised, that Mario took care of you so well.

I dig the 47mm, top end is endless. I went from stock straight to the bigger turbo and Stage 3 as well, it's almost like the should've come with at least a 42mm! With the route I'm going I should be able to max the turbo out... we'll see.

I'm still contemplating putting the k04 50mm in, I'm eying a Borg Warner that may perform just as well or better.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Phillip33
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Very cool! I've never been in a MINI, or ALL4, with a 42mm. I'm curious how it feels. Glad Mario, and not surprised, that Mario took care of you so well.

I dig the 47mm, top end is endless. I went from stock straight to the bigger turbo and Stage 3 as well, it's almost like the should've come with at least a 42mm! With the route I'm going I should be able to max the turbo out... we'll see.

I'm still contemplating putting the k04 50mm in, I'm eying a Borg Warner that may perform just as well or better.
It pulls like crazy all the way to the top with no drop off.
And with @MarioKart suggestions on adjusting the waste gate lag is non existent now.

I also added 3 gallons of E85 to a tank like he suggested and it is even stronger in the top end and cruising even off boost is smoother.

This is all with Map B i haven't tried Map C yet.
The car is definitely a rocket ship now.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:56 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Davers
Took a step into the light last week and decided to go ahead with a Stage 2 Manic Tune with Mario Palza, after a thirty minute phone call he went through the options and and what was needed for each stage.
I was Originally running a JB+ which was fun for awhile but I soon got use to it and it seemed tame and it was time for a change so after the call I sent him my ECU and JB+ ( Mario does an exchange against his tune ) and got it back the same week and installed.
Mario was always in contact via text and if there was any concern he was always responding as quick as I sent them. The weather here has been snowy and wet but I got a couple of hours on a dry road and “boy” the car has endless pull all the way to the red line that it caught me out a couple of times.
The power is constant and smooth with no hesitation and just seems endless not matter what gear you are pulling in.
Next stage maybe be a bigger Turbo but I’ll wait until I’ve done the MTTS 2018 West Coast run this year and then take the leap, until then the grins keep on coming and for me it’s been a great experience and it was good working with Mario on this project.
Hi Dave, thanks for going with me and it makes me happy that you love yuur Mini even more. I have a feeling you are going to go with stage 3 soon. Call it a hunch
talk to you soon
Mario

Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM
ojamir
1st Gear
GP2 - stage 2 tune

Just got a Stage 2 from Mario Palza for my GP2, and WOW what a transformation. I definitely recommend his tune over any boxed tune.

Thanks again Mario!

Makes me wonder what Stage 3 would be like.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:53 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by ojamir
Just got a Stage 2 from Mario Palza for my GP2, and WOW what a transformation. I definitely recommend his tune over any boxed tune.

Thanks again Mario!

Makes me wonder what Stage 3 would be like.
Nice! Mario is the man!

P.S.... Stage 3 with the 47mm I have is awesome!

Old 03-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Gabriel MCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to run stock internals with 47mm? Running 95oct and WMI.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:52 PM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabriel MCS
Is it safe to run stock internals with 47mm? Running 95oct and WMI.

​​​​​You can run the 47mm and not run it "all out" remember that 20psi on a 37mm turbo is not the same as 20psi from a 47mm. The flow efficiency is your biggest increase. I believe the stock internals are good to around 300hp.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Gabriel MCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
​​​​​You can run the 47mm and not run it "all out" remember that 20psi on a 37mm turbo is not the same as 20psi from a 47mm. The flow efficiency is your biggest increase. I believe the stock internals are good to around 300hp.
300bhp I can achieve with S42. Lot of ppl running e45 and 47mm with more than that..

Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Gabriel MCS
300bhp I can achieve with S42. Lot of ppl running e45 and 47mm with more than that..
Do you have a N14 or N18? How is the health of your Mini?
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Mario
So what’s going to be the better/safer option for my next upgrade on the turbo? OEM JCW or JMTC 42 with the lightened/taller billet or stepping up to a 47 size ?.
Would like to knock out the Intial lag on dropping the clutch but don’t want to kill the duribility of the motor.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Davers

So what’s going to be the better/safer option for my next upgrade on the turbo? OEM JCW or JMTC 42 with the lightened/taller billet or stepping up to a 47 size ?.
Would like to knock out the Intial lag on dropping the clutch but don’t want to kill the duribility of the motor.
I’m a JMTC dealer so I can help put a package together with tuning. I offer a couple differ tuning options. The 42mm is the most popular because it can hold boost to stock redline and the lag is next to nothing
Thanks
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 AM
Gabriel MCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Mario
N18 with 42k miles. No problems, recently changed my HPFP.

My setup
Intake, dowpipe, intercooler, evox spark plugs, WMI, JCW turbo, remap by manic.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
R60one
Neutral
Manic Stage II Tune

Our experience with Mario has been nothing short of excellent, in all regards. He has exceeded all of our expectations, and truly is a master of what he does. He demonstrates a passion for his work, and a superior level of meticulousness in addressing the details and nuances of his craft.

For our Mini Paceman, he has recently put in a new tune (and we will soon be installing a new turbo from him), but the level of difference that his tune makes is incredible! We have previously received Manic Stage II from other companies, but this is undoubtedly the only tune that has made a significant difference in the performance of the car. We now have so much more power and responsiveness, and I cannot overstate how amazing the difference is. We are so happy!

Not only is Mario impressively exceptional at the technical aspects of his work, it is very evident that he loves what he does and has a passion for it. He invests a high level of time and energy into striving to best meet his customers’ needs, and learn about what they want specifically. His tunes perform unbelievably well, are customizable, and are an investment that you definitely will not regret.

We highly recommend Mario to anyone interested in dramatically improving the performance of their car. You can have the peace of mind in knowing that he will take excellent care of your car and will provide a level of workmanship that far exceeds that of competitors. However, most importantly, he is a good person. He takes a lot of pride in his work, and wants to do the best he can in all that he does. We have absolute trust in him, and are so grateful for the wonderful experience we have had.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:51 PM
R60one
Neutral
manic stage 2 with SPS switch

Our experience with Mario has been nothing short of excellent, in all regards. He has exceeded all of our expectations, and truly is a master of what he does. He demonstrates a passion for his work, and a superior level of meticulousness in addressing the details and
nuances of his craft.

For our Mini Paceman S, he has recently put in a new tune along with a SPS switch. Do yourself a favor and purchase the SPS switch- it is amazing!!! (We will soon be installing a new 42mm turbo from him along with a custom stage 3 tune), but the level of difference that the manic tune makes is incredible! We have previously had 2 other tunes from NM engineering stage one tune. After installing a catless downpipe along with an intercooler, we needed a stage 2 tune so we got a bench flash from OE tuning. To be honest, I did not notice a difference in the stage 2 from OE. The manic is undoubtedly the only tune that has made a significant difference in the performance of the car. We now have so much more smooth power and responsiveness, along with some wonderful sounds from the exhaust. I cannot overstate how amazing the difference, is it’s a shame I didn’t do the manic in the first place.

Not only is Mario impressively exceptional at the technical aspects of his work, it is very evident that he loves what he does and has a passion for it. He invests a high level of time and energy into striving to best meet his customers’ needs, and learn about what they want specifically. His tunes perform unbelievably well, are customizable, and are an investment that you definitely will not regret.

We highly recommend Mario to anyone interested in dramatically improving the performance of their car. You can have the peace of mind in knowing that he will take excellent care of your car and will provide a level of workmanship that far exceeds that of competitors. However, most importantly, he is a good person. He takes a lot of pride in his work, and wants to do the best he can in all that he does. We have absolute trust in him, we are so grateful for the wonderful experience we have had, this is why we will only do business with him in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_4126.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_3830.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_4473.jpg  
OSilvera (12-08-2019)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM
R60one
Neutral
manic stage 2 with SPS switch

Our experience with Mario has been nothing short of excellent, in all regards. He has exceeded all of our expectations, and truly is a master of what he does. He demonstrates a passion for his work, and a superior level of meticulousness in addressing the details and nuances of his craft.

For our Mini Paceman S, he has recently put in a new tune along with a SPS switch. Do yourself a favor and purchase the SPS switch- it is amazing!!! (We will soon be installing a new 42mm turbo from him along with a custom stage 3 tune), but the level of difference that the manic tune makes is incredible! We have previously had 2 other tunes from NM engineering stage one tune. After installing a catless downpipe along with an intercooler, we needed a stage 2 tune so we got a bench flash from OE tuning. To be honest, I did not notice a difference in the stage 2 from OE. The manic is undoubtedly the only tune that has made a significant difference in the performance of the car. We now have so much more smooth power and responsiveness, along with some wonderful sounds from the exhaust. I cannot overstate how amazing the difference, is it’s a shame I didn’t do the manic in the first place.

We highly recommend Mario to anyone interested in dramatically improving the performance of their car. You can have the peace of mind in knowing that he will take excellent care of your car and will provide a level of workmanship that far exceeds that of competitors. However, most importantly, he is a good person. He takes a lot of pride in his work, and wants to do the best he can in all that he does. We have absolute trust in him, we are so grateful for the wonderful experience we have had, this is why we will only do business with him in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_4126.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_3830.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_4473.jpg  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:02 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
James, thank you for such a great review. I love your Paceman, best one I have ever seen. You have inspired me to get a big brake kit. BTW all your stage 3 hardware has been ordered
See you next week
Mario

Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 AM
4mikebruns
Wanted to write this before I forget. lol

Mario Helped me in Sept. of last year with stage 2. I ordered the tune and SPS switch and he sent a downpipe along with it that I paid for a couple months later. I enjoyed Stage 2 for about 6 months and then the mod bug and the speed freak in me were itching at me.

After a stressful ordeal with purchasing a used JCW turbo (it wasn't a JCW...) I talked to Mario and eventually it led to me ordering a JMTC 42mm turbo through him. I had the turbo installed by my local performance shop and the Dyno concluded 255whp and 312tq. The car ran fine and I ended up having to adjust the waste gate a little as I was hitting 22.3 psi in all 3 maps lol. after that the car ran great for a couple of days, but I feel like I hadn't satisfied the itch enough. I reached back out to Mario about the new Stage 3 software and decides to bite the bullet. Sent off the DME and got it back quickly.

The night I reinstalled my ECU was Amazing and an experience I'll never forget lol.
I let the car come to operating temperature and then did a few pulls. The extra power could be felt but the IMPRESSIVE part was how much smoother the power delivery was. You could just feel how much happier and healthier the engine was running. The stage 3 tune is excellent and a MUST have for bigger turbos.

**note the below has nothing to do with the tune or Mario**
Unfortunately my DME crapped out on me about 20 mins into my drive. My driver for Ignition coil 3 faulted and fried Coilpack 3. =( This apparently happens on stock cars and tuned cars so it is not a tune issue. Also I had replaced my coils with Delphi brand coil packs that look a little different than the OEM Delphi ones I had pulled out. These also could've caused some sort of ARC that killed the driver. I have a DME on the way and will be having my old one Cloned onto it. Hopefully this week I can be back up and enjoying my awesome tune.

Link to Coils (STAY AWAY FROM THESE):
Amazon Amazon

cornjuice (03-11-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:49 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Recently purchased Mario's ceramic coated DP, eVo 10 plugs and RPM stage2 for my N14 JCW. Simply put, its a completely different animal when unleashed now. It was quick before..its a terror now.. a flame spitting terror!

GRIMM JCW gets RPM stage2

Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 PM
4mikebruns
Updated Review:

I had recently purchased my JMTC Super 42 through Mario and upgraded to Stage 3 Manic/RPM. I came from Manic Stage 2 so I was able to retain my SPS Switch functions.

Shortly after receiving my original DME back it had a meltdown for #3 ignition chip. Got a used one for cheap and only 18k miles on the donor car and had my old one cloned to it. retained my tune and everything.

I've had my car running normally for a week now and finally able to enjoy the fruits of Stage 3 and the Super 42 appropriately. This combo is Amazing! So much power and no waiting for the turbo to spoil up any longer than my Stock S turbo. The power delivery even after the turbo was installed while still stage 2 was much smoother. The S42 with minimal delay to spool over a stock turbo really helps to calm the over eagerness of the small turbo. I no longer had overboost surges when getting into the throttle at 2800-3000 rpm. I attempted some 1/4 mile runs this past weekend to see where the car might sit compared to its usual 13.5 @ 102-103 when I was Stage 2 stock Turbo last year. The power of Stage 3 is just too much for a hard launch on my All Season tires that my 60' was .4 sec worse than before lol. I have a set of Riken Raptor ZR ultra summer tires going on this Monday. I will also be getting some new Dyno numbers to see how much more power the Stage 3 Tune makes compared to Stage 2. My numbers on Stage 2 with the S42 were 255whp 312tq. I would be stoked to see 280whp and 330ish torque. I plan to run 100 octane and the full 23.5-24 psi on these next pulls. Overall, I am 100% satisfied with every encounter Ive had with Mario. He has had a hand in every move I have made with my N18 R55 since I started modding just 6 months ago. Hopefully I have a mid 12 second AUTOMATIC Mini this season 😁

Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Hey Mario: What are the “behind the scenes” differences between the Manic tune and the RPM tune?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.