Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:54 PM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmicamnesia

N18's are notoriously more challenging to tune because of the added variable valve timing, but those are still great numbers. My turbo is only 1mm wider on the intake side than yours but I recently had some things upgraded on it by JMTC. Its a ported/polished S42HP (or I guess technically an S43HP now), I just had Aric from JMTC upgrade the turbo to their latest wastegate And improved turbine housing.
what kind of exhaust are you running? Your hp numbers should be higher, but again I'm not totally sure on the N18 engine.
i just switched to RPM Power's platform from Mario instead of Manic. Much much better for hybrid turbos, and you can also take advantage of the valve timing with RPM Power tuning on the N18 engine.
Another thing is I use only 101 octane in my car so it definitely has an advantage over a car using normal premium from the pump. High octane and these cars = magic.
I have a catless downpipe but my catback is stock diameter just has everything cut out and 1 aftermarket resonator in the mid section. I had some tinkering to do getting the wastegate set properly. Still not sure if its 100% dialed in. I'm hitting full boost of 23psi right around 3800rpm. I run race gas concentrate every so often like track dats which boosts my 93 to 100 octane

Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
I have a catless downpipe but my catback is stock diameter just has everything cut out and 1 aftermarket resonator in the mid section. I had some tinkering to do getting the wastegate set properly. Still not sure if its 100% dialed in. I'm hitting full boost of 23psi right around 3800rpm. I run race gas concentrate every so often like track dats which boosts my 93 to 100 octane
The wastegate and turbine housing JMTC just upgraded mine to are definitely a lot beefier and they seem to have worked all the kinks out of their products in the years since I originally bought my turbo from them. They've gone from only a few hundred customers maybe 3-4 years ago to thousands now, and they've really worked any issues out of their upgraded designs. I could feel the difference immediately, it just felt a lot smoother. What year did you get your S42? And is it ported and polished?
also, what kind of BOV/Recirc valve are you using?
Ive tried several and the only one that I would recommend for this turbo is the Forge Recirculating Valve (n18 version whether you're running n18 or n15). It cut nearly a half second off of my 0-60 from just that one mod. You just HAVE to make sure it's this exact version of their valve, because Forge has several different ones that all look similar but operate differently.
its a quieter valve than stock or any of the blow off type valves, but It keeps the boost up between shifts much better than anything I've tried (and I've had DV+, upgraded stock valve, Turbosmart, other Forge valves and several more).
It doesn't waste boost like the blow off type valves; only releasing boost when necessary. You won't get the swish sound, but the performance is well worth it. The s42hp is relatively quiet as far as turbos go as well, so don't be alarmed if you're not getting the same kind of turbo sounds you're used to.
Are you on a Manic tune or RPM Power?

Old 05-28-2018, 04:40 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns

also be REALLY careful with those "octane boosters". You're much better off just buying a can or blending your 93 at a pump with 101. If you can't find a pump, motorcycle and dirtbike/atv shops should have it in 5gallon barrels. You can order online also. A lot of 'octane boosters' can cause serious detonation, which is exactly the reason I use pure 101 only.
Pushing over 300whp i started using it mostly to reduce the risk of damaging detonation that causes pistons and rods to go.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Phillip33
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
You definitely do! I only run California 91 oct. I need to do what you do soon!
I’ve been running a 30% E85 blend since I went Stage 3.
If you have it readily available it’s extra insurance and less than race gas.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Phillip33
I’ve been running a 30% E85 blend since I went Stage 3.
If you have it readily available it’s extra insurance and less than race gas.
quite true, the only thing with e85 is that it will work your fuel pump about 30% harder, leading to failure much sooner. I definitely wouldn't run full tanks of it, even if I was tuned for it, unless I had the necessary fueling system hardware. Actually, especially if I was tuned for it. You really NEED a special fuel system made to work for e85.
Obviously by blending it you're not taking as huge a risk, but the potential is still there for damage.
101 unleaded, or something like Torco 108 or VP MS109 unleaded race fuel would be better for blending, in my opinion. Definitely don't add anymore e85 to your blend than you're currently using. I know it's definitely a much cheaper option to get to a high octane than buying straight up unleaded race gas, but i think you'll find substituting Torco 108 or MS109 for your E85 should yield much smoother feeling results.
obviosuly the Mini ECU will adjust to whatever octane you put in the tank, but e85 and R56's just don't seem to get along as well as race fuel and R56's. Plus I don't know of anyone stateside who makes an e85 conversion kit for the r56.
I know people have tried, but so far I've only seen successful r53 e85 conversions, and it's easier for them because they don't have a HPFP to worry about.
E85 is a lot more dense, so it really comes down to the fuel system. E85 doesn't atomize as quickly or burn as completely as race fuel in an engine made for petrol, so you need to have a fueling system that can account for that. Once you've got a proper e85 system, it'll feel great, but you could be risking gunking up your stock fuel pump.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:29 AM
Phillip33
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmicamnesia

quite true, the only thing with e85 is that it will work your fuel pump about 30% harder, leading to failure much sooner. I definitely wouldn't run full tanks of it, even if I was tuned for it, unless I had the necessary fueling system hardware. Actually, especially if I was tuned for it. You really NEED a special fuel system made to work for e85.
Obviously by blending it you're not taking as huge a risk, but the potential is still there for damage.
101 unleaded, or something like Torco 108 or VP MS109 unleaded race fuel would be better for blending, in my opinion. Definitely don't add anymore e85 to your blend than you're currently using. I know it's definitely a much cheaper option to get to a high octane than buying straight up unleaded race gas, but i think you'll find substituting Torco 108 or MS109 for your E85 should yield much smoother feeling results.
obviosuly the Mini ECU will adjust to whatever octane you put in the tank, but e85 and R56's just don't seem to get along as well as race fuel and R56's. Plus I don't know of anyone stateside who makes an e85 conversion kit for the r56.
I know people have tried, but so far I've only seen successful r53 e85 conversions, and it's easier for them because they don't have a HPFP to worry about.
E85 is a lot more dense, so it really comes down to the fuel system. E85 doesn't atomize as quickly or burn as completely as race fuel in an engine made for petrol, so you need to have a fueling system that can account for that. Once you've got a proper e85 system, it'll feel great, but you could be risking gunking up your stock fuel pump.
Im just running the 30% blend probably closer to 25% since i use 3 gallons e85 to the rest of the tank 91.
Race gas would be nice but with the amount i drive it would add up quickly (200 Miles per day) so the blend is where im at right now.
I am looking into water/Meth injection soon which will help as well.

N18 R60 All4

Old 06-01-2018, 10:28 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like im gonna stArt collecting stage 2 parts soon 🤪

Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 AM
ecabacun
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manic Stage II Tune Review

It is evident that Mario has prodigious automotive knowledge. He was very informative about my tune throughout the time of its install. It has been a week since the tune and my car runs impressively. Mario has, since then, kept in touch--and this is something that I believe is crucial. As someone with a former managerial job background, managing relationships upscales clientele and the overall success of the company.

At any rate, on the day of the tune, Mario was able to answer any and all of my questions. He was well-equipped, being able to (physically) provide me with everything needed for the tune that same day. He installed spark plugs and provided me with a catless downpipe, all while his computer was doing its magic. Mario's catless downpipe is very well-machined and the welded bits are proper. I am very particular on what goes on my car, and even more particular on the quality of stick welds. Within half an hour, my car was issued a Manic State II tune. Mario stuck around a while longer after a test-drive to ensure everything was satisfactory in regards to the tune and how I felt about it.

Mario's prices are fair. I highly recommend him as a tuner. For anyone, especially those in Southern California, Mario is the way to go for your Mini's tune. The one thing I do suggest is to do prior research on the tune (Stage 1/2/3/Manic vs. RPM tune) you want. A lot goes into calibrating and adjusting a car's ECU and/or engine. A little knowledge goes a long way to help maintain the longevity of your car.

Mario is profressional, personable, and does outstanding work. I will be contact with him in the near future for my next tune (...JMTC 42/43mm turbo? Hrm, temtping).

Much appreciation, Mario.

- Eric

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_1338.jpg  
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 PM
swirvinjcw
Neutral
RPM Power Stage 2 Tune By MarioKart

Another very satisfied customer here. I initially contacted Mario for a Manic stage 2 tune for my R56 JCW but ended up doing the RPM Power stage 2 instead and HOLY @%&#!!!!! The car has become an absolute beast but still behaves like a daily driver when driven conservatively. Power delivery is linear and predictable but when on WOT the scary fast acceleration takes some getting used to. Boost is now up to 21+psi and HOLDS to redline. The car is running about 15F cooler too with the tune. My JCW in stock form was already making me grin every time I drove it. Now it makes me literally LOL!!

I installed the following mods just prior to getting the tune…. ATM FMIC, charge/discharge pipes, updated OEM diverter valve with Alta spring, MarioKart ceramic coated catless downpipe, Afe pro dry S drop in filter and NGK 1422 spark plugs. The FMIC, downpipe and plugs were provided by Mario.

The whole experience was smooth and pain free. I also gained a great deal of knowledge and hands on experience from Mario guiding me throughout this stage 2 upgrade process. Like others have said, his customer service and support is second to none. He will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied and keeps in touch post tune. I’m not sure if you can get this from any other tuner/shop. So to anyone who is thinking about a tune, get a tune from Mario Palza. You will not regret it!

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_7853.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_7837.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_7793.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_7874.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_7930.jpg  

Last edited by swirvinjcw; 07-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:00 AM
Bob08Club
Neutral
RPM Tune Stage 2

I am a recent convert to the Mini Cooper rage and recently purchased a 2008 R55 Clubman S. Was impressed by the power of a stock turbo but after visiting different forums realized more power was to be had. A common name in all the threads was Mario Palza as the go to person. Since I live on the central California coast, going to Mario was an easy decision. After installing a larger intercooler and catless downpipe we met halfway in Santa Barbara. Mario remapped the ECU with the RPM stage 2 program, installed cooler plugs and lowered thermostat temp. Power increase is substantial, probably around 230hp and 240lbs torque at rear wheels. Application of power during acceleration is smooth and progressive and yet very streetable for everyday use. Being a newbie to Minis Mario offered words of advice to educate me on the nuances of the Mini. Very pleased with the product and his service. Mario will not disappoint.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Phillip33
Im just running the 30% blend probably closer to 25% since i use 3 gallons e85 to the rest of the tank 91.
Race gas would be nice but with the amount i drive it would add up quickly (200 Miles per day) so the blend is where im at right now.
I am looking into water/Meth injection soon which will help as well.

N18 R60 All4
I recently spoke with Mario on the phone. What a cool dude! I’m doing this now as well. On his recommendation that I will need to do it for the tune he will be giving me. At the moment he said to use 2 gallons of E85 then fill the rest of the way up with supreme. This should put it right around 93 octane. So far without the tune yet, the car does seem just the tiniest bit more responsive, and just seems a bit happier on the higher octane mix than straight premium unleaded. When I first emailed Mario I was thinking about going for just a stage 1 Manic tune. But with my upgraded turbo and the few other minor things I’ve done like a catless DP, after spending about an hour on the phone with him he recommended I get the RPM stage 3. A bit different than was originally intending, lol. But after talking to him, it’s weird, but I totally trust this guy to go tinkering with my ECU! He has a way of conveying his knowledge and enthusiasm for what he’s doing that just makes you go “Yeah! Make my car better!” Lol. He is coming up north in a few weeks and is going to meet up with me personally here in the Pacific Northwest! That is so awesome. I told him initially about how I need the car and can’t really take the downtime to send my ECU off somewhere. He can make that work as well! I’m very impressed so far, and I haven’t even met him in person or gotten the tune yet. When he explained the difference between the Manic and RPM remapping, although having 3 maps to choose from would be a neat feature, I don’t think I would change it much. Mario was in agreement and was the first one to actually bring up the fact that most folks who get the SPS switch, just kind of toss it in the glove box after a while and stick with the map they like the best. Then when he told me that he is running the RPM tune on his own Countryman, well that pretty much did it for me. I didn’t feel like he was trying to upsell me or anything at all either. He just laid out the facts of how they would work to produce safe power with what I have. And I need stage 3 to get things optimized the way they should be. I was concerned about drivability going with that drastic of a tune righ off the bat. But after more questions, Mario assured me that the drivability will actually improve and that’s all I needed to hear! Lol.
I can’t wait to meet him in person and talk Minis while he reflashes my ECU and we change out the plugs real fast (I’m buying colder plugs from him too). I’m definitely nervous as well, as this is far and away the biggest change I’ll have made or will make to the car, but I feel kind of like a little kid who’s waiting for Christmas Day too! Ha ha!
How is the daily drivability of your guy’s RPM tunes? What can I expect to ...... well..... expect?

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 07-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
~8k mi on N14 JCW w/ RPM stage 2

all the time! Smiles per gallon is the saying.

Ive been running hard since the upgrades w/ daily logs. No issues/hiccups or funny stuff. Car pulls like a train. Shifting into 2nd and 3rd @ WOT produces a good bit of tire chirp (OEM clutch still holding tough).. even at ~80mph . Since the flash Ive noticed I dont collect hardly anything in my oil catch cans now either (which is great). With the lowered coolant temp, the car cools off much faster and doesnt seem to vaping off as much of the additives in the oil. I plan on keeping my JCW in this form until something goes with the engine (~82k mi now total). From there.. Im undecided on going big turbo or big valve head. Im kinda leaning towards the head atm, just because I know it will increase RPM range as well as provide some power across the board.

Here a sound clip of my setup using Marios ceramic DP, straight pipe to JCW muffler (no other cats or res). **nvmd cant link FB or post mp4 rofl

Mario still buzz me from time to time too; just to see if I am ready to take the next plunge and if Im having any issues. I look forward to seeing/hearing more R56's from RPM . They are doing some amazing fab work with their upcoming turbo kit and race team!! Cant wait!

Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 PM
AstroR56s
Neutral
RPMpower Stage 1 Tune

I bought my Mini in late April and after about two weeks I was already in contact with Mario about getting it tuned. He is extremely knowledgeable and immensely helpful in providing information and recommendations based on what you are looking for. After getting my Mini tuned I was amazed at the difference in power. The car felt "quick" in stock form but felt beastly with the new tune and I haven't noticed any drop in gas mileage or driveability. I plan on getting the RPMpower stage 2 (or maybe 3) tune from Mario soon and look forward to doing business with him again Thanks again Mario.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
That’s great. It sounds like I’m going to be smiling a lot! Now I’ll need to be careful about watching my speed around town! It already likes to go faster than the speed limit if I’m not careful.
I was wondering if you still get the pops and burbles only in sport, like it is now, or if it just does it all the time with the tune? Going to be stage 3 RPM tune. I forgot to ask Mario about it. I will when he does my tune, but it seems like a goofy thing to contact him about, since I’m ok with it either way, just curious.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
I bought my R55 JCW at the end of May, drove it one day and left for a month long vacation. I talked to Mario via email while overseas and returned last Friday. Drove my car another couple days (lol) and messaged Mario yesterday. We talked for 40 minutes.

Long story short, Downpipe, Intercooler and Plugs are on their way! I'll mail him my ECU after I install the parts and cannot wait!!

Hes very knowledgeable. I told him my "plan". He agreed with some, and told me to STAY AWAY from some parts i had planned, explaining his logic.

Hes also a dealer for NM Engineering and other parts for those that dont know!

I'll update when the parts come together.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
That’s great. It sounds like I’m going to be smiling a lot! Now I’ll need to be careful about watching my speed around town! It already likes to go faster than the speed limit if I’m not careful.
I was wondering if you still get the pops and burbles only in sport, like it is now, or if it just does it all the time with the tune? Going to be stage 3 RPM tune. I forgot to ask Mario about it. I will when he does my tune, but it seems like a goofy thing to contact him about, since I’m ok with it either way, just curious.

I have no cats or resonator.. it pops all the time; full shotgun on sport mode. **after your ECU flash - dont forget to turn off your TCS/DCS before you go for a spirited drive..otherwise your traction nanny will be getting in the way of your fun.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:10 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
I have no cats or resonator.. it pops all the time; full shotgun on sport mode. **after your ECU flash - dont forget to turn off your TCS/DCS before you go for a spirited drive..otherwise your traction nanny will be getting in the way of your fun.
That’s good to know about TCS/DCS! Thanks. Mario saw the post and sent me a text to answer the pop question. You guys are right on with his customer service!

Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He's ok. I listened to his pitch and decided not to buy because I thought his dpwn pipes were too expensive. He thought Milltek were inferior to his DP at half the price but Milltek are highly regarded and some reputable guys like JMTC and Outmotoring vouch for the brand. And his stuff throws a CEL without a tune, too. He seemed more about modding for the track than reliability. I'm just mentioning this because I notice there's some hype on this board and it's about real enthusiasts hearing real feedback.

Last edited by malibujoey; 07-18-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 PM
BRG56
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Mario. I've been slowly modifying my MINI for a while now and I finally reached out to him when I was ready to go stage 2. Even from opposite time zones, Mario was always quick to reply to any questions I had before and after the tune. His customer service truly is unrivaled. As for the car, it's a different beast and I couldn't be happier. Anyone thinking about going for a tune, I highly recommend contacting Mario.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BRG56
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Mario. I've been slowly modifying my MINI for a while now and I finally reached out to him when I was ready to go stage 2. Even from opposite time zones, Mario was always quick to reply to any questions I had before and after the tune. His customer service truly is unrivaled. As for the car, it's a different beast and I couldn't be happier. Anyone thinking about going for a tune, I highly recommend contacting Mario.
+1
I don’t have my tune yet, but it’s getting closer all the time. Although I cannot yet speak about the product, Mario’s customer service is terrific! I have been talking with him for a few weeks now at least, and he has been great about answering any stupid questions I come up with. Sometimes I text him one question and he calls me and we speak for like an hour on the phone! His knowledge comes through effortlessly when talking about these cars with him. Customer relations go a long way in my book ( I guess I’m getting old, lol) and Mario is hands down the tuner I trust. I don’t see many others on these forums using and backing up their products, much less making themselves available to anyone on here..... that says a lot!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Satisfied with stage 2

I had a great experience communicating with Mario. He responded very quickly and always answered my questions no problem. I got the stage 2 tune from him about a month ago and it was one of the best choices I have made. The car pulls much harder now. I have had no problems so far and I am very happy. I look forward to getting his catless downpipe in the future since he says it will pass CA smog.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 AM
DGI
3rd Gear
My ECU arrived from Mario yesterday!!! Of course I ended up switching to evening shift and had the ECU delivered to my office so I didnt get it installed until 10pm...

Last night's test drive and today's drive into work proves what so many have said. The tune rocks! Its a completely different animal now. Above all this however is the customer service that Mario provides.

I mentioned to Mario that I'd like to go stage three next summer if all goes well but with the transformation the car has experienced (and its lack of traction in second with DSC off), I'm wondering if theres even a point LOL

I have driven my Mini less than 1000 miles (~10,750 miles on car) since I bought it and its now rocking Mario's parts/tune. I'm glad I didnt wait!!!!

Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Drewalbiston
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I will be getting my ECU back soon. Did a Stage 2 RPM Tune for my MINI GP2. I have a Catless DP, Forge IC, NGK Plugs and now just waiting on the tune. I will report back.

Drew

Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You are gonna love it!!!!

Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 PM
DGI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drewalbiston
i will be getting my ecu back soon. Did a stage 2 rpm tune for my mini gp2. I have a catless dp, forge ic, ngk plugs and now just waiting on the tune. I will report back.

Drew
night and day!!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.