Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Hey Mario: What are the “behind the scenes” differences between the Manic tune and the RPM tune?
send me an email MarioPalza@gmail.com

Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart

send me an email MarioPalza@gmail.com
How about starting a thread so everyone can find out.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 PM
BMWsMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently traded in my ‘03 R53 for a ‘16 R60 and was reading every thread I could find to try and make up for the lost power and Manic seemed to be the answer to all of my prayers. Reached out to Mario as I saw in multiple threads of him traveling in SoCal and asking if anyone needed a tune while he was in the area. First impressions was a super helpful guy who has a genuine interest in cars and helping people. Times and dates never matched up with my schedule however, every couple of weeks he would let me know when he was coming close to my area Just as a heads up to see if it would work for me. Well the stars all aligned and I was able to make it up to him and he was awesome enough to invite me to his home to complete my Manic tune on the one day I had available. While the tune was being loaded we spent over an hour just talking cars, looking through parts he had on hand and he showed me around his R60 to help me with some future modification options. Once the tune was done and Mario could have sent me on my way he took yet another 30 min coding my Mini just the way I wanted it. All together I’m stoked and couldn’t be happier with my Manic tune and the experience I had with Mario. Thanks Mario for your time and continued support to the Mini community!!

Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 AM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Just wanted to give a shout out from another satisfied Mario customer. Mario flipped my tune around in a single day and had it back on my doorstep, the next day. (5000 miles round trip) from Indy to Cali and back. Car is running strong and nice increase in constant power with the Stage 2 tune. Really like the ability to turn on/off the louder exhaust pop’s with the Sport button. Think I’m gonna re-label that button to “Fun” button. Even got a great goody bag..... hate to see how much candy he gives out at Halloween!

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-1be7c227-c517-4a73-8ea5-c0deb14da31f.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Kyoungjr17
2nd Gear
Yet another pleased customer of Mario’s. He has been excellent to deal with. I purchased a stage 3 RPM tune from him and I’m very very pleased with his quick turn around. The tune feels awesome so far! I have spoken with him numerous times about many things and any questions I had he went above and beyond to answer. I would highly recommend his work to anyone!

Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back again!

Hey there fellow Mini lovers. 2 years or so on and I'm still turning to Mario for everything regarding tuning on my car. I previously wrote about how fantastic his Manic stg3 tune was with my ported and polished JMTC 43mm (basically an S42HP, recently updated to their new bigger housing and wastegate), but now I'm on the RPM Power train.
Mario and I talk frequently so when he told me he finally managed to get RPMPower software I was immediately sold.
On Manic stg3, I was seeing a lot of power, around 290ish whp consistently and about 295lb ft to the ground. With RPMPower, I'm seeing around an extra 20whp but the torque curve is still the most impressive part to me. It's basically electric. Over 300lb ft from 2000-7000rpm and it could easily keep going. It starts with about 260lb ft from 1200 and is at full chat from 2k all the way to redline.
i run 101octane unleaded all the time but when I switch to my 101 map, it's even more powerful. Haven't dyno'd map C yet but based on my B map which is tuned for 91 octane (with the benefit of advanced timing from the 101 all the time), it's definitely got even more power. I'm guessing somewhere in the 330whp range with the same kind of torque curve as B map but higher torque, which I was quoting above.
On top of the added power, its extra smooth and extra progressive compared to Manic (not that I had many complaints in that department either). If you're going for a hybrid turbo design, RPM Power is what you want without a doubt. It's the best solution for the R56 and has been in development for years and years in Europe. We are quite lucky we have a fella like Mario who has managed to get RPM Power in the states.
Now we can finally extract all possible added power from engine mods like cams, different comp ratios, etc. The RPM platform is just much more well equipped to handle bigger changes from the stock platform.
Manic is still a fantastic solution if you are planning on sticking with a stock engine or turbo with bolt ons, but go RPM if you're getting to that point where you're doing crazy things with your build. And of course Mario will always recommend the best mods for your needs.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:54 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmicamnesia

Hey there fellow Mini lovers.
What all do you have done to your mini? That's a ton of power. N14 or N18?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 AM
NeverL8
1st Gear
Story Time - Bad and REALLY GOOD

Monster Mini F55S - THANK YOU MARIOKART!

First and foremost, I recommend this guy and his work as the FIRST STEP anyone should take before modding their Mini for performance. Speaking with Mario is easy and he gives you a full breakdown of what his mod will do to your car and will spend time going through every question you may have. More importantly, he will recommend what an owner should do prior to getting his mod, after and proper maintenance and care techniques. He isn't just out to take your money, he really stands by his product(s) and will help a purchaser every step of the way.

Now, quick story:

I am a two time Mini owner. First, was my R56S 2007 and second is my beloved F55S 2015. For both cars, I was/am always on the hunt to make my car unique and more one-of-a-kind than others on the road. Aesthetics aside, we Mini owners tend to get performance upgrades for our vehicles. Believe me, there is a ton of stuff a person can buy to make their Mini quicker. There is a right and wrong way to do this...and I have done both. I will give two scenarios, one negative and not-to-do, one positive and what-to-do.

The Bad - My R56 with ALTA AccessPort

I thought I had all the answers myself, working on N/A cars for a long time. I put a larger intercooler, AEM cold air intake, 3 inch catless DP and exhaust and suspension mods on my car myself. To tie it all together, I found the "answer to my prayers" from the ALTA AccessPort. Promising plug-and-play performance, an owner can literally choose the mods (basics only, not brand) that they have on their car, and the AccessPort plugs into your OBD port and installs piggy-back software onto your ECU so your car behaves differently. Again, THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. But, I thought I had a budget racer now since the throttle was more responsive and I had bolted on approx. 20 HP, and the AccessPort making use of all the mods put my car at around 50 HP gain....and then BLEW MY ENGINE.

Basically, AcessPort tricks your car into thinking it's a high altitudes so it ups its performance to compensate for it, giving the car increased stats but severely sacrifices reliability. My car was running lean most of the time because of this and it fried cyl 3 and 1,2 and 4 weren't looking great. This was completely my fault, and I have learned from my mistakes.

The Good - My F55 with MARIOKART TUNE

I wanted to keep my F55S running for several years since it's my daily driver and I love the car. So I started the modification process very slowly, researching every step of the way for how to make power, but most importantly make it safely. I came across MarioKart tunes and started looking into and it didn't take me long to realize that I had found gold! Mario actually tunes the ECU itself, so there is no piggy-backing software that has a chance to hang up. He also offers several performance products for the Minis from suspension to engine. One of his parts that I can't recommend enough is his catless DP. Mario recommended it to me before I did any other mod to the car, as it would give me a little power, great sound and less restriction. (Perfection).

I speak with Mario for hours about this, voicing my concerns and story of my last car. Mario explained to me how his tune works line by line, showing me where The power comes from and the extra work he's put into it to make sure that spikes in boost and leaning out never ever happen. Mario said something funny to me then too: "Think of your car as you would a toaster. You use it every single day and it should be the same every single day." Basically, Mario meant that I shouldn't ever worry if my car is going to start or not. It should start every day, it should take me across the country if I wanted to and I should be able to have fun in the mountains.

So, I went with Mario's downpipe and with his MarioKart tune. He came to me on a Sunday and removed my computer and reinstalled personally! I couldn't be happier with the car. It looks good, the handling is good and now the power matches what the handling can do. It feels like it should have been this way from the factory. Mario even checks in me to make sure I like his work and that everything is how it should be.

Customer service is more important to me than power. But with Mario, I got both. Do yourself and your car a favor and get this done.

Last edited by NeverL8; 05-23-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM
NeverL8
1st Gear
Best Experience Ever

I just posted a super long story about my bad experience with Alta AccessPort and my SUPER great experience with MarioKart MQubed tune. Here's the short version:

I talked for hours with Mario about his tune and what it would do for my car. Most importantly, I wanted a tune that would never lean out my car even if that meant losing a bit of power from the tune. I was expecting around 30 HP gains. Not only was Mario available to talk to me at all times, he sent me videos, spec sheets, dino sheets, instructions and everything that I could need to make sure that my car runs for another 100K without issues.

Do yourself a huge favor, contact Mario and pick his brain. He has cars with his own tune on them and can tell you everything you'd want to know. Expect HUGE gains in HP and Torque. Mario himself helped me remove and install my computer and has talked to me several times since to make sure I'm happy with his product. I totally am.

Here's his number:

805-746-2666

Here's my number:

909-498-6736
- Call me any time if you want to know about what my car feels like with the MarioKart tune. I'll take you for a spin or talk your ear off.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ptguy0618
So I really wanted to take the time to expose NAM to my experiences with Mario Palza. SO, this will be a thread to discuss product reviews, and open conversation about your professional experience with him.

I started out on NAM as a total NOOB(always will be lol) im obsessed with cars, specifically my mini, but im not mechanically inclined. So i always look to others to inform me, and give me solid advice, and not give me a hard time for being misinformed.

I initially contacted Mario when looking to purchase my down pipe. His responses were almost always immediate(even with a 4 hour time difference). And he was insanely helpful. Mario's mission is to educate, and MAKE YOU FASTER!

His down Pipe is impeccable. The build quality, and welds, and ceramic coating were beautiful. The sound it produced, was heavenly! And the Crap load of candy he sent as a surprise was awesome, CUSTOMER SERVICE folks. Thats been the best part of dealing with him.

Now, the best product ive recieved from Mario is my Manic stage II tune, granted he isnt the tuner, but he bench tuned my DME, and he had it done QUICK. My DME was on its way back to Florida the same day he revieved it! and even though it was a much smaller box, he still managed to throw in a few pieces of candy!

MY MANIC STAGE II TUNE SO FAR:

First of all, ill start with the SPS switch. I come from other cars with after market turbo kits, and piggy back ECUs from AEM where you had one map tuned to your car. And this is by far the coolest automotive toy ive ever owned. 4 MAPS of power levels to switch instantly to, how awesome is this?!

I had the JB+, and i will endlessly praise is as an amazing bang for the buck product in terms of power delivery.

BUT Map A, literally blew me away, i was not prepared for the fully encompasing change that occurred in my cars performance. The JB was a light switch that flicked, and the power didnt last throughout the REV range, and i found it often wasnt consistent. The Manic tunes power, is SO much more than the JB produced. I havent had it dynoed, but i know the power increase is pretty hefty. My car runs so much smoother now it seems. And the power IS ALWAYS there, and the throttle response is much improved. The turbo seems to spool faster, even on light throttle at low RPM i can hear my recirc valve opening. No hit or miss above a certain RPM for the power to come. its impressive.

Now i just tried Map B the other day and have been running it for a few days now. My first pull was a 2nd gear pass, and i spun all the way through second and a little into 3rd, which ive never come CLOSE to doing in my mini before. The power increase from A to B is noticeable, not sure what the HP difference is, but the Butt Dyno tells me everything i need to know. I still have yet to mix e85 with map A or B, but i cant want to see the results.

Map C: i have not touched yet, its set up for me to run pure 100 octane, or a 93 octane mixed with 100. I will add to this review once i get there.

I encourage EVERYONE who is considering it, to bite the bullet, and go for it. Trust me, i added the intake, the down pipe, the lower motor mount, and i had my Second CAT cut from my exhaust, and they all changed the experience of my MINI, and the JB helped take advantage of those modifications. But the tune takes FULL advantage of these MODs and and completely puts them all in harmony to produce power for your car.

Contact MarioKart, or any manic dealer to get the process started.

My experience with Mario has been nothing but professional, the customer service is outstanding, and hes here to serve you and your mini. Contact him, even if its just to ask a question.

Thanks Mario, You helped me transform my MINI into a monster!

- An Undyingly loyal customer.(Matt)
Looking to try and get the tune and downpipe, have you had any problems with the car since u upgraded?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:37 PM
NeverL8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kevinp_27
Looking to try and get the tune and downpipe, have you had any problems with the car since u upgraded?
Not one. It's still recent, but no signs of issue. If there ever is, Mario said to contact him straight away and he'd troubleshoot.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NeverL8
Not one. It's still recent, but no signs of issue. If there ever is, Mario said to contact him straight away and he'd troubleshoot.
Ok great, did you get the catless DP and the tune? what stage is the tune and how many gains?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Been about 3 years for me, Manic Stage 3 and MarioKart's 47mm turbo, going strong still.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 PM
NeverL8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kevinp_27
Ok great, did you get the catless DP and the tune? what stage is the tune and how many gains?

So my car was bone-stock (performance wise). Catless DP from Mario and STAGE 2 tune. I haven't put the car on a dino yet, got more things I'd like to do to it first. But, Mario sent me an actual dino sheet from an F56S NON JCW showing 50 HP and 70 TQ at the crank. It's ridiculous! The sheet shows 305 ft-lbs of torque at the crank on best run.

Are you local to Southern CA? I'll show you my car any time.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Been about 3 years for me, Manic Stage 3 and MarioKart's 47mm turbo, going strong still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Vci8YGo_g
How much boost do you run?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:13 PM
AWD_Rally

Stage 3 is around 22psi. Not many people run more boost than that.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:26 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
What all do you have done to your mini? That's a ton of power. N14 or N18?

oh man, there's a long long list of stuff. It's literally from the very last run of N14's. I just about sprung on the GP2 when it came out but I was already so many thousands in on this build that I couldn't let go lol. There's more to come to on it too with the arrival of RPM Power software. Now cam upgrades and things like that are possible to take advantage of.
let me try and list mods in order of section.
so for the suspension/brakes/wheels section: full race setup consisting of TSW Spec KW variant 3 coilovers and Vorschlag camber plates, a giant 25mm H&R front swaybar with Powerflex poly bushings all around in every possible position, 22mm NM rear sway bar with NM adjustable swaybar end links front and rear, NM torque arm insert, lower engine mount, TSW X brace to essentially tie the front and rear subframes together (it eliminates chassis flex entirely, makes the suspension more effective, drastically reduces torque steer; it's a fantastic piece and the only truly effective brace on the market for Minis), Eibach rear upper and lower adjustable control arms, StopTech forged BBK in custom black with zinc plated slotted ST rotors front and rear, Hawk ceramic racing pads on the rear and either StopTech street or track pads for the big front calipers depending on the use. Also use either StopTech 600 or 660 fluid depending on street or track use.
The wheels are Volk Racing ZE40 Time Attack edition wheels with custom blue accents instead of the normal red in 17x7.8 measured from the inside, running Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's in 235/40/17 with just 5mm H&R spacers up front. They're the absolute best wheels I've ever had on any car, also currently the strongest forged wheel that will be able to be made for about the next decade and they adapt a number of F1 technologies, like bead seat knurling, which seems gimmicky but I assure you, it helps tremendously in putting all this power to the ground. I think that about covers the suspension/brakes/wheels section.
Next up i suppose should be the more power related mods: I will soon be switching to a 9.5:1 compression ratio, already have the custom pistons and rods, just need a few other things to line up to get the job done right. But anyways, I've got an RPM Power stage3 tune from Mario, a custom JMTC 43mm ported and polished turbo with a Forge recirculating valve (the N18 version, whether you're n14 or not), I have a WMW exhaust manifold that has been port matched to the turbo, my intake is what started as a standard Alta CAI but has been kind of Frankensteined to fit the bigger turbo, along with the Alta turbo hardpipe which had to be modified to fit the turbo inlet (which will soon be changed to a more custom system altogether), free flowing intercooler piping all around, a Helix 2nd gen r56 intercooler, Mario's ceramic coated downpipe which is mated to my Quicksilver exhaust system, NGK EVO X plugs and IP coils, but basically stock internals at the moment, which will soon be changing quite a lot. I also have a very interesting double oil catch can system on the way from the U.K. which seems to solve the r56 PCV problem. Also, I run US 101 unleaded race fuel ALL the time, which certainly gives the car an advantage in power and keeps the engine very happy. The 91 octane we have in CA just isn't enough for this car.
As for the more aesthetic/weight saving stuff:
this car has no rear seats at all and in place of one has a carbon fiber rear strut brace. The front seats are mechanical Recaro Sports in a custom Blue suede and Napa leather finish, bolted directly to the floor with custom brackets (you definitely sit quite low inside of this Mini compared to most). My big carbon fiber side scuttles are the beautifully made side scuttles that NM used to make but does not anymore, sadly. The interior and exterior have virtually every piece CarbonMini makes along with some full carbon replacement pieces in certain places.
My rear wing was made by Orranje in the U.K., it's fully adjustable with CNC cut aluminum brackets and of course, a full carbon wing blade.

oh and in general, we have used a lot of titanium bolts on this car, made by a great group of fellas in Australia. They are planning to start making full production versions of these bolts soon, and almost specifically for BMW and Mini folks. All the vital bolts, studs and nuts have been changed to titanium.

i think that about covers it. I'll add things if I remember any that I missed.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 PM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Stage 3 is around 22psi. Not many people run more boost than that.
Mine will spin up to 25ish, sometimes a little more at full throttle. But im running 101 unleaded fuel so i have a bit more headroom I suppose.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM
AWD_Rally

Mine will spin up to 25ish, sometimes a little more at full throttle. But im running 101 unleaded fuel so i have a bit more headroom I suppose.
You definitely do! I only run California 91 oct. I need to do what you do soon!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
You definitely do! I only run California 91 oct. I need to do what you do soon!
It definitely makes a big difference and keeps stock internals much safer on a tuned car. I broke my engine in on 93 and 95 octane on the east coast, but when I first moved to CA, 91 was basically the max everywhere, and my car was never happy with running straight 91. Thankfully I have several sources of well priced race fuel within 20 miles, with one being a station that actually has a pump that carries 94-96-98 and 101 Sunoco race fuels and blends.
Ive been running nothing but full tanks of it for a few years and it keeps everything very nice, happy and clean, plus you just naturally gain power by using it. My track tune is adjusted as being a map to take all the advantages of the race gas' ability to burn more completely, rather than my normal map. I haven't even dyno'd the track map Mario made yet, but it's got even more power than my numbers quoted above. It's completely overkill for the street though, so I only use that one on track.
Where in CA are you? It's absurd but I have planned entire trips around CA with stops at stations with race gas at the pump, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
AWD_Rally

Nice! I would run 100+ octane occasionally in the past, just gets pricey since it's a daily/business car too. Once sales ramp up in the business... I'll go full 100+ octane I would love to push 25psi daily!

I'm in the OC Area, near the coast, around where the 55 FWY ends.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NeverL8
So my car was bone-stock (performance wise). Catless DP from Mario and STAGE 2 tune. I haven't put the car on a dino yet, got more things I'd like to do to it first. But, Mario sent me an actual dino sheet from an F56S NON JCW showing 50 HP and 70 TQ at the crank. It's ridiculous! The sheet shows 305 ft-lbs of torque at the crank on best run.

Are you local to Southern CA? I'll show you my car any time.
Unfortunatley I am in San Francisco, but im glad you are happy with your car!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

oh man, there's a long long list of stuff. It's literally from the very last run of N14's. I just about sprung on the GP2 when it came out but I was already so many thousands in on this build that I couldn't let go lol. There's more to come to on it too with the arrival of RPM Power software. Now cam upgrades and things like that are possible to take advantage of.

I have an N18 R55 with a 42mm JMTC. All the bolt ons except a legit exhaust and Meth.

I'm making around 260whp and 320tq

Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
I have an N18 R55 with a 42mm JMTC. All the bolt ons except a legit exhaust and Meth.

I'm making around 260whp and 320tq
N18's are notoriously more challenging to tune because of the added variable valve timing, but those are still great numbers. My turbo is only 1mm wider on the intake side than yours but I recently had some things upgraded on it by JMTC. Its a ported/polished S42HP (or I guess technically an S43HP now), I just had Aric from JMTC upgrade the turbo to their latest wastegate And improved turbine housing.
what kind of exhaust are you running? Your hp numbers should be higher, but again I'm not totally sure on the N18 engine.
i just switched to RPM Power's platform from Mario instead of Manic. Much much better for hybrid turbos, and you can also take advantage of the valve timing with RPM Power tuning on the N18 engine.
Another thing is I use only 101 octane in my car so it definitely has an advantage over a car using normal premium from the pump. High octane and these cars = magic.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 AM
cosmicamnesia
2nd Gear
Nice! I would run 100+ octane occasionally in the past, just gets pricey since it's a daily/business car too. Once sales ramp up in the business... I'll go full 100+ octane I would love to push 25psi daily!

I'm in the OC Area, near the coast, around where the 55 FWY ends.
hey sorry I didn't see this! There's a station within a few miles of the sea world parkway that has it.
Its like between Ocean Beach and San Diego proper.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.