Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:15 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
The recommendations for the NGK 1422 plugs is to help protect your engine. More power equals more heat in the combustion chamber. The stock heat range 7 plugs can become heat saturated creating a hot spot. This can lead to detonation in the wrong circumstances. The 1422's are heat range 8 and do a better job of transferring the heat the plug is exposed to into the head. Hence the term a colder plug.

I have had clients forget to change the plugs on two occasions. Within a two week to two month time frame they reported issues with uneven power/sputtering in boost. When asked if they changed the plugs, the answer was "Doh". Changed plugs and the vehicles have ran great to this day. Plugs are much like oil... cheap insurance to prevent problems.
Well said

The following users liked this post:
BlueCooperS (06-10-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 PM
j255c
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will stay Stage 1A with new plugs.

B seems too aggressive boost for this turbo

Last edited by j255c; 06-01-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:14 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by j255c
Thanks for the feedback. I will stay Stage 1A with new plugs.

B seems too aggressive boost for this turbo
I think once you get that intercooler actually cooling then you can run map B no problems. The berus are garbage, sorry you just swapped them out with new ones. I wouldn't worry too much about them till you goto stage 2.

Last edited by yesti; 06-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:23 AM
j255c
2nd Gear
New intercooler is working great. I see no more than 5-6 above ambient on highway pulls at 17psi.

You get what you pay for, stay away from Chinese crap.

thanks for all the support .

Old 06-03-2018, 10:11 AM
yesti
5th Gear
New intercooler is working great. I see no more than 5-6 above ambient on highway pulls at 17psi.

Glad you got it fixed. If you ever get stutters on boost or the car dumps boost, but then behaves normally after, change the plugs as you might be pre-igniting.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's about what I'm seeing with the Helix intercooler. It's hard to believe the air is that cold, especially after the IAT I get on the R53. I'm on the B map and see 18 PSI.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:58 PM
2012_R60
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This is to all the fellow R60 S people. I want to start building towards a stage 2 tune and was looking at the stock JCW R60 intercooler. Anyone running the upgraded JCW intercooler? Comments/issues? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:33 PM
havy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you mean by upgraded, but I am running a stage 2 manic tune with my 2014 JCW r60 no worries. Can't go wrong with this tune. Soon to be on stage 3 with some changes in turbo and intercooler upgrades.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 PM
MarioKart
Vendor

Originally Posted by 2012_R60
This is to all the fellow R60 S people. I want to start building towards a stage 2 tune and was looking at the stock JCW R60 intercooler. Anyone running the upgraded JCW intercooler? Comments/issues? Thanks in advance!
my JCW Countryman has the larger stock IC and its fine for a tuned stage 2 but anything more than that you will need to go bigger or methanol.
I’m running stage 3 RPM Power and soon stage 4 with my new turbo set up

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Gelmobile (08-19-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Gabriel MCS
1st Gear
I`m running manic stage 2 with jcw turbo (MCS N18)

Do I need a new remap if I upgrade to a JMTC S42?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Gabriel MCS

yes you will, but Manic stopped offering stage 3. I can help you with RPM Power Tuning for stage 3

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic and RPM Power Tuning

Old 08-23-2018, 08:32 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by havy
Not sure what you mean by upgraded, but I am running a stage 2 manic tune with my 2014 JCW r60 no worries. Can't go wrong with this tune. Soon to be on stage 3 with some changes in turbo and intercooler upgrades.
Let me know how I can help. Manic doesn’t offer stage 3 anymore, but I can get you to stage 3 when the time comes.

Maeio

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 08-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabriel MCS

Lou (Tigger) has a couple maps for my Alta 42MM turbo via Manic. You may want to reach out to him.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Drewsmini15
1st Gear
Hey guys, im farly new to this manic mini tune world. Ive been reading a lot and learned a lot. I currently have a 2013 R60S. I have a K&N CAI, NM exhaust, forge BOV , and recently did a stage 1. I also have a catted DP from CNT but not installed due to the CEL issue i want to avoid ( NYC emmisions). I would like to know what other supporting parts i would need to properly maintain the engine from the increased power. After reading this thread im purchasing the NGK 1422 plugs (thanks to the contributors on this thread). Also, is there a specific map i should be running routinely. Im having a lot of fun with Map C but wonder if i should lower it for mostly A & B. Lastly, im concidering doing a stage 2 after i buy the FMIC to prep for summer but would hate to shell out 700 after i paid 500 for stage 1 this past jan. Thanks in advance.

oooooo btw, after i did the stage one my R60 is a blast to drive. THE best car i owned. SUPER FUN!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:44 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
After you buy the larger FMIC, you should have all you need for stage 2 Manic. The tune will also sort out the CEL with sports & decat DP.

From what I've read different maps mainly have different boosts.

I use map B.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:20 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewsmini15
Hey guys, im farly new to this manic mini tune world. Ive been reading a lot and learned a lot. I currently have a 2013 R60S. I have a K&N CAI, NM exhaust, forge BOV , and recently did a stage 1. I also have a catted DP from CNT but not installed due to the CEL issue i want to avoid ( NYC emmisions). I would like to know what other supporting parts i would need to properly maintain the engine from the increased power. After reading this thread im purchasing the NGK 1422 plugs (thanks to the contributors on this thread). Also, is there a specific map i should be running routinely. Im having a lot of fun with Map C but wonder if i should lower it for mostly A & B. Lastly, im concidering doing a stage 2 after i buy the FMIC to prep for summer but would hate to shell out 700 after i paid 500 for stage 1 this past jan. Thanks in advance.

oooooo btw, after i did the stage one my R60 is a blast to drive. THE best car i owned. SUPER FUN!!!

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to install the downpipe on Stage 1 and not get a CEL, I think even the stage 1 tune has the coding to get rid of it. I drove around with a catless downpipe for like a week on stage 1 before getting stage 2 and I never threw a code. This was like 3-4 years ago though.

Also, I could be wrong on this considering Manic just switched up all their pricing, but I think you can upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 for the cost of the difference between the tunes, which is about $200. Call your Manic dealer about that though. I do know that once the ECU is cracked it makes it a lot easier to retune. Going from Stage 2 to Stage 3 is where I paid, because it's a completely custom tune that the tuner can't store locally. To give you an idea though, I paid $700 for Stage 1 with the SPS switch ($500 tune, $200 for the switch), then $200 to go from Stage 1 to Stage 2, then $600 to go from Stage 2 to Stage 3. This was at KMD Tuning in Saddle Brook, NJ.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 AM
SPYECAR
1st Gear
I have a 2013 R56 and went with the Manic stage 2+ tune in 2015. I keep it on map C all the time. Other mods include a K&N flat panel air filter, CNT catted DP, FMIC, intake muffler delete pipe, removed the downstream cat and installed NGK 1422 plugs. Still using the original exhaust pipe and muffler, it's noticeably louder than stock, but sounds nice.. I also replaced the original run-flat tires with 205/50R16 Pirelli Cinturato P7's It's my daily driver and I don't track the car. I've logged about 40,000 miles since the tune and has been very reliable. The only issue I have is that the engine can now make more torque than the stock clutch was intended to hold. It's no problem in the lower gears because the DSC limits wheelspin. WOT in 4th gear and higher sometimes slips the clutch and DSC doesn't detect that.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
What hardware do Manic officially endorse for Stage 2 and above?

https://manicmotorsport.freshdesk.co...e-2-and-above-

Mini Stages August 2015 onwards...

https://manicmotorsport.freshdesk.co...-2015-onwards-

Mini Pricing August 2015 onwards...

https://manicmotorsport.freshdesk.co...-2015-onwards-

Customer FAQ

https://manicmotorsport.freshdesk.co.../1?url_locale=

Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Drewsmini15
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply. Its funny you mention it but i actually had my stage 1 done at KMD Tuning in saddle brook. It was done pretty quick. But no dyno unfortunately. I believe the owner mentioned having to pay full price for stage two and CEL can ONLY be fixed with a stage 2. Im actually going to call them in a few to get some clarification. Thanks again for your insight

Old 03-07-2019, 06:12 PM
yesti
5th Gear
...I would like to know what other supporting parts i would need to properly maintain the engine from the increased power...Also, is there a specific map i should be running routinely. Im having a lot of fun with Map C but wonder if i should lower it for mostly A & B. Lastly, im concidering doing a stage 2 after i buy the FMIC to prep for summer but would hate to shell out 700 after i paid 500 for stage 1 this past jan.
A FMIC always helps with any tune level as cooler air means your engine can run more timing up to the limit of the map. And heat is the enemy, especially running map C. Most people run B daily as the S turbo can really only sustain about 18-19psi at full efficiency which is map A. The JCW turbo gives you another psi or so which is map B. But since you're not at WOT all the time daily driving you can get away with full time map B or a little of map C. Be sure to change your oil more frequently now that you are tuned. Every 5k to 7.5k you should be good and is cheap insurance. You didn't mention if you have manual or auto, but if you have auto I'd recommend a 2.5qt drain and fill every other oil change with full synthetic. After about 5 to 6 of those most of the non-synthetic fluid will be changed out. So save up for that FMIC first before summer and worry about stage 2 later if funds are tight.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Its funny you mention it but i actually had my stage 1 done at KMD Tuning in saddle brook. It was done pretty quick. But no dyno unfortunately. I believe the owner mentioned having to pay full price for stage two and CEL can ONLY be fixed with a stage 2. Im actually going to call them in a few to get some clarification. Thanks again for your insight
Like I said, Manic may have changed their pricing structure since I got my Stage 1 and 2 tunes. That was like 3 years ago.

Drewsmini15 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SPYECAR- you don't turn off you traction control off? If I leave mine on it will slip the clutch to aid with the wheel spin and I can smell my clutch . I ALWAYS turn mine off !!!!

Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
SPYECAR
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
SPYECAR- you don't turn off you traction control off? If I leave mine on it will slip the clutch to aid with the wheel spin and I can smell my clutch . I ALWAYS turn mine off !!!!
My car does not have a limited slip differential and, since DSC does several functions including traction control, I seldom turn it off. In my opinion, it's a good thing to have except when you need (want) to maximize acceleration. I've noticed that when the DSC senses wheelspin, it can apply brake to the offending wheel, but it also reduces fuel until the wheelspin stops. It then restores fuel flow and the cycle repeats until there is no more wheelspin. This causes the car to buck a little, which is annoying. A dash indicator light flashes while this is going on. In the lower gears, it doesn't take much torque to break the tires loose, so the stock clutch holds just fine. I haven't noticed the DSC applying brakes to the extent that the clutch slips. It's only in the higher gears when the engine develops full torque and the tires are sticking to the road that the clutch sometimes slips. When this happens, there is no dash indicator light - just an unexpected rise in RPM and a smelly clutch.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pushing that button is the first thing I do when I get in my car, I want all the power and controls !!!
Im over 330 hp at the wheels so it's hard enough on the OEM clutch, I don't need the computer cutting the life span down.
As far as fuel cuts I have never logged my fuel pressure with the traction control ON, but with it off Manic adds fuel pressure. That's part of the tune and how you can run more boost/power without changing injectors.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
How does the DTC slip the clutch? There is no connection between the clutch and the DTC.

gnarmach (03-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!