Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ECU Flash - Semi DIY - Programmer & Software Questions

Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Dust
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny_cooper

You can find most of those for free from looking in the right places. I have a file for a 1.4D Mini on my hard drive fro some reason. Got it in a pack of EU files from a tuning website

Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
DrDubya
1st Gear
Originally Posted by c0op3r
Yes, like I said there are alot of smart people here, and I am sure with the resources available to us we can figure this out.

I just have to locate a few people with the JCW tunes and also custom tunes( I have access to one of these so far) to compare to, and I have been reading all I can find about the tuning.

We know that the big boys are not going to help as it is a loss of income to them, if this is figured out by the laymen!

But on another thread here, that we started, we now have people working on the fuel injector upgrade, without using the expensive JCW injectors, which I am sure that just about everyone knew could be done, but the naysayers have now been proven WRONG.

I just got my bosch injectors after reading that other thread and am thinking the exact same thing.

I have the cheap bmw usb to odb2 which comes with the dealer software (DiS/GT1, INPA and SSS) and after reading the dealer install instructions for the 210hp upgrade (which is an upgrade to the existing JCW Kit of 200hp) it looks like DIS is the programme they use.

210hp install pdf

I have read on here somewhere there is an installation cd as well that may or may not have only come with the early kits and would therefore not know about the injectors.
But i think it has a binary file to flash the ecu with

need clarification on that one.

So the holy grail is to flash the jcw 210 map using BMW diagnostic and programming tools. (and use bosch injectors)

does anyone work for BMW who could confirm one way or the other.
or anyone who could guide us in doing this.

the only people who could lose out are main dealers and I'm sure they don't care about $50 from us

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM
stover91
2nd Gear
sooo im also curious if theres self tuning options, other then unichip, coming from a background in DSMs im used to tuning myself

Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM
slo_crx1
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I realize this thread is a few years old, but this is my experience using the whole DIS/GT1 INPA SSS setup you can find on ebay to flash updates to r53's.

In simple, yes it can be done. I strongly caution most people from doing this though, simply because this is one of the most intense flashes I've ever performed. I've spent roughly 16 years flashing and tuning everything from Hondas to Subarus and Mitsubishis, and even gone as far as helping to rewrite code for Evo's a few years back to switch from a MAF based system to MAP.

Long story short, the mini DME is one of the worst I've ever tried to work with. I decided I wanted to upgrade to the JCW 210 injectors to go with my 17% pulley and intake and exhaust mods, and the only way I saw possible at the time was through the DIS/GT1 route.
Now, the older program that lets you flash directly to the DME is no longer available, so this was done using DIS v57 software commonly found on ebay.

*Disclaimer* Do this at your own risk. This is not a complete instruction set, nor is it intended to be, this is just an explanation of the work around I found. I almost bricked my DME in the process.

V57 only allows you to flash upgrades to the current edu definitions found on your DME through SSS Progman, and won't let you flash the JCW 210hp rom directly. The only way I was able to do this was to "force flash" the DME using WinKFP to accept the proper coded rom file (the number can be found in the documentation for the JCW210 upgrade pdf). This is where I thought I bricked my DME, as even forcing the flash didn't copy over the correct checksum to match up with the immobilizer. You can try and start your car all you want at this point, it just won't. "Updating" the forced rom flash did fix my incorrect checksum error and finally allowed the car to start, but it was very touch and go from there. Even talking to a BMW master tech as I went through some possible solutions to fix the checksum didn't look very hopeful at the time, as even he thought the DME was bricked.

All of that was just to flash a factory made rom, so you can imagine what you're getting yourself into trying to modify a rom without having any idea of how to correct the checksum after you make changes (and that's if you even get to the part of using WinOLS to properly figure out the correct hex locations for each table).

Bytetronix seems to be your best option in this case. Maybe one day if I'm really bored I might fire WinOLS up again and take a crack at things, but pretty sure Colby and Jason have done a much better job with this than anyone else.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tuned my R53 with MPPS Cable

I took the plunge and had someone familiar with tuning Gen 1 MINIS tweak my maps for me (and claims to have fixed an issue that I didn't know I had from a QUICKTUNE I had done a year ago in Atlanta. There was mapping for both automatic trans a manual trans. Also was told that Axis 0 was modded incorrectly and that the knock detection maps were touched and should not have been). I am very happy and this did not cost much at all to do($150 if I was satisfied) I know I am taking a risk of ruining my engine from running to lean or such from an inexperienced tuner. If it happens, well, that sucks and lesson learned(I have another vehicle and will install and engine myself if this is the case). I have only driven the car 1000 miles so far. I am happy with the smoothness I have now versus before; car wakes up well at 3k-It did this before but not to the extent and had more foot into the pedal to do so- Nothing that I would expect from what I have (06 S, JCW Head, Injectors, Exhaust with Milltek header/HiFlo Cat and WMW Street Cam and a DDM intake). I do not have a Dyno sheet but plan on doing so once I find a Dyno in the Raleigh/Durham area; then I will compare my old maps to my new maps to see the difference instead of judging by my butt dyno. I do have a but of torque steer now whereas I did not have this before my remap. To pull the maps from my ECU took all of 3 minutes and to reflash took all of three minutes.