Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly Gab'a car spiked to 30 psi, I believe that did him in right there.

I removed the JB yesterday and then installed it at night. Drove around, ambient was 60ish, car obviously hadn't fully adapted yet but it was consistently hitting 15psi.

I then proceeded to do WOT redline WOT runs and would see boost spike from 15 to 18psi for 1/2 a second then back down to 15. This has me a bit concerned as I've seen as high as 21.35 with the JB fully adapted at mid 60's.

When it warms up, the car will most likely spike past 22 and bam, cut power. Let's not forget that the car will overboost even with the JB+ installed. I guess the obvious solution would be to turn it down. (just thinking out loud here)

Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I believe JCW's/GP's have a higher boost limit. I'm curious if any S cars will experience boost cuts when the weather gets warmer. Especially with overboost on quick WOT transitions. These cars have boost spikes at WOT shift WOT scenarios then taper down. But if you're at 21 psi and it spikes past 22, you'll hit a wall of slowness lol.
The JCW and GP have a 3mm bigger turbo and the GP has higher compression than the JCW

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
jomama
4th Gear
a brutal 89 degrees down here in OC today. i saw my boost creep past 16psi during a pull onto a toll road. personally, i prefer 13psi all day in 55 degree temps over 16+ in hot weather. this goes to what terry has repeatedly stated - the mini is load based, not boost based. so while boost is a good indicator with all else held equal, it's not the end all be all of performance.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
a brutal 89 degrees down here in OC today. i saw my boost creep past 16psi during a pull onto a toll road. personally, i prefer 13psi all day in 55 degree temps over 16+ in hot weather. this goes to what terry has repeatedly stated - the mini is load based, not boost based. so while boost is a good indicator with all else held equal, it's not the end all be all of performance.
241 lol?

What setting are you on?

That's what I was trying to get at, I'm just forewarning folks of what potentially could happen if the JB+ is set too aggressively in warm...or hot(California atm) climate.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
jomama
4th Gear
241 lol?

What setting are you on?

That's what I was trying to get at, I'm just forewarning folks of what potentially could happen if the JB+ is set too aggressively in warm...or hot(California atm) climate.
actually, the tail end of 261, which turns into jamboree rd. i got on at walnut, going south.
i haven't touched the pot since installing the JB+. i'm plenty happy with the way the car performs as is, so i figure i'd play it safe and leave it alone. i was going to run 30% e85 at stock setting, but just haven't gotten around to driving out to a station with e85. the closest one is about 15-20 mins away. =/
oddly enough, if i want to go for a kick-in-the-pants ride down the freeway, i'll take the SUV out. that thing is prob a full second faster 0-60 than the mini. i've been looking to tune it too. some guy if FL ran a 12.6 on the drag strip, and pulled a 4.4 sec 0-60 time on his vbox. ~$2k for a tune and pulley from APR - total sleeper! but at the end of the day, i prefer the mini for pure driving exhilaration.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
241 lol? What setting are you on? That's what I was trying to get at, I'm just forewarning folks of what potentially could happen if the JB+ is set too aggressively in warm...or hot(California atm) climate.
Your right, I need to have the meth kit installed by spring. 100 degree weather and JB+ at max might not be a good idea. The winter weather is making me spoiled.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jomama
no one said you can't take it off a block away from the dealer. =D my dealer is about 5 miles away when i pulled my JB+ to take it in for service, it was kinda sad how slow the car felt in comparison. as the saying goes, "don't know what you have 'til it's gone."

Same here. Had mine out for a visit to the dealer. What a pig! Just about got about 100 miles since it's back in and back to normal.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
One potential benefit would be a fully integrated tune/meth kit. Where the tune IS the meth controller so there are no extra wires to route, etc. But overall I'm not sure what demand would be. How many of you run meth kits currently?
I would want one also.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
So my wife suprised me and ordered me a JB+ today. As you can imagine im pretty pumped! I have a 2013 JCW and I am planning on running Torco additive to 91 octane. Was planning on using a 32 oz can everytime I fill up. Just based on what there measuring chart says on the Torco website I am thinking thats gonna be around 98-99 octane on a full tank. Do you guys think it will be safe to run the JB+ at 100% with that much Torco accelerator? My JCW has the DOS intake and thats it. I am planning on doing the downpipe and intercooler also in the future when funds permit but just wanted to see what you guys think about running 100% now safely without downpipe and intercooler. Also is there a specific colder spark plug you guys are using? Are colder plugs necesary with an octane rating at 98-99 even?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Go-Cart
So my wife suprised me and ordered me a JB+ today. As you can imagine im pretty pumped! I have a 2013 JCW and I am planning on running Torco additive to 91 octane. Was planning on using a 32 oz can everytime I fill up. Just based on what there measuring chart says on the Torco website I am thinking thats gonna be around 98-99 octane on a full tank. Do you guys think it will be safe to run the JB+ at 100% with that much Torco accelerator? My JCW has the DOS intake and thats it. I am planning on doing the downpipe and intercooler also in the future when funds permit but just wanted to see what you guys think about running 100% now safely without downpipe and intercooler. Also is there a specific colder spark plug you guys are using? Are colder plugs necesary with an octane rating at 98-99 even?
If you increase the JB+ past the recommended setting (for the JCW it is 11 o'clock) then make sure you have a way to monitor some engine parameters like timing, AFR, etc. Then I would methodically turn up the dial.

Or... you can get crazy like MarioKart and turn it to 100% as you pull out of the dealership.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When it warms up, the car will most likely spike past 22 and bam, cut power. Let's not forget that the car will overboost even with the JB+ installed. I guess the obvious solution would be to turn it down. (just thinking out loud here)
It's possible the JB+ could drive the DME boost set point past it's internal 22psi limit (which corresponds to the 2.25 bar MAP sensor), although I'd be surprised if it did. The DME should be smart enough to not target more than it's MAP sensor can read. When doing flash tuning you are changing values within the DME and could create a disconnect, but since the DME remains unmodified, that issue should not crop up.

Just the same I'd keep boost under 18psi personally even on higher octane.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I would just run an E85 mix like I do now. It is better for cooling and running more boost. Timing also increases for more power because the ECU sees the higher octane. I think it is a cheaper octane booster at $3 a gallon. I prob add like 2 gal per tank. Makes a big difference.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I'm using Torco right now and have been thinking of switching to a E85 blend. I'll post a comparison of the two fuels in a few weeks after I switch over.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
I had found an octane calculator online and with 10 gallons 91 and 3 gallons E85 (like MarioKarts setup) that comes out to about 94.2 octane only. A full 32oz can of Torco brings octane up to around 98-100 octane on a full tank. So maybe even 32 oz is a little overkill because 16oz is supposed to bring octane to around 95 octane. cerenkov how much torco have you been running?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
You're definitely right a full 32oz is way overkill. I estimate the octane for me is 101 (I add to 93). Isn't not a linear function but I believe 20oz would be good maybe 16oz depends on how far you turn up the dial.

I'm only at 3 o'clock right now.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
I think I am going to try 16oz to start and monitor the timing with dash command. Are you running colder plugs at all? I am going to do the 2nd cat delete and resonator delete as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Just pumped my first 30/70 mix of e85 and 91 this evening! My JB has been set one back from stock for a while now (only 91 near me or race gas at $7.50+ a gal) and I'm going to keep it there to see if I notice any difference.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
Ok so after reading MarioKarts thread on his setup I noticed that it mentions that the JCW likes to throw a code all the time P0171 "system too lean bank 1". Can anyone else with a JCW chime in on this issue? My wife ordered me the JB+ only and not the Can Tool. I dont think she new what the Can Toll was for. I noticed that some people with the JCW have to leave the can tool plugged in at all times to keep this code from coming up. Is this true? I am wondering if this may have something to do with the E85 mix? I am planning on running Torco and not E85 so wondering if I may not have this issue. Anyone else running Torco with a JCW have a problem with that code? Terry can you chime in on this issue?

Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
I use Ca 91 octane on my JCW and have been using the JB+ at default settings with no CEL to date for the past ~3k miles. I tested it briefly at 1 o'clock setting last month but was getting 0 timing at WOT so I set it back to default.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
thanks for the info. im thinking that maybe this code is common for the guys running e85 since the dme needs to adjust for the extra fuel required to hit the target AFR. I know usually during the adjustment period the car can run a tad lean while it makes the necessary changes to the mixture.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok so after reading MarioKarts thread on his setup I noticed that it mentions that the JCW likes to throw a code all the time P0171 "system too lean bank 1". Can anyone else with a JCW chime in on this issue? My wife ordered me the JB+ only and not the Can Tool. I dont think she new what the Can Toll was for. I noticed that some people with the JCW have to leave the can tool plugged in at all times to keep this code from coming up. Is this true? I am wondering if this may have something to do with the E85 mix? I am planning on running Torco and not E85 so wondering if I may not have this issue. Anyone else running Torco with a JCW have a problem with that code? Terry can you chime in on this issue?
Some of the JCW models need the CT connected full time to keep that plausibility code off. Probably just one or some of the various DME software versions out there. If anyone local ever has this code I'd love to trade cars for a few days to try to track it down. Unfortunately so far all local cars JCW's included don't throw it. So there isn't much to go on.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I had Terry, read all my codes, because he wanted to check to see if I had that lean code JCW's have. Even with CAN unplugged for two days and driving like a mad man, there was ZERO codes. That lean code seems to be on a JCW code and only to a handful of JCW's.
I admit, I'm aggressive in what ever project I do, but I have honestly had great success with the JB+ at 100%. I have had Juice box since 2007

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No codes for me. '13 JCW Coupe, auto, CAI, FMIC. 93 +30% E85. JB+ turned up all the way. Still data logging/monitoring.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM
SC_77
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
....Even with CAN unplugged for two days and driving like a mad man......
Wait, even with a catless downpipe and the CAN unplugged you threw NO codes?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by SC_77
Wait, even with a catless downpipe and the CAN unplugged you threw NO codes?
I only had the DP code with the CAN unplugged, but I never got the "lean" code that happens on some random JCW's

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)