Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

JB+ Guidelines (credit to cerenkov for putting this together for the community)

Website: http://www.burgertuning.com/Mini_Coo...nce_tuner.html

Install Instructions: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...ini_jbplus.pdf

The JB+ comes preset at 50% and generally should not be changed for normal N18 motors using good quality pump gas. Those running higher boost tuning from the factory such as the JCW package, or those using exceptionally poor fuels, such as 90 octane or lower, should reduce the dial to 30-40%. Conversely if monitoring boost and timing using a BMS CAN Tool or similar deivce the dial may be adjusted up on higher grade fuels such as race gas, E85 mixtures, or methanol.

Recommended settings:

Cooper S N18 – 92 Octane pump gas (AKI) – 50% or lower
Cooper JCW N18 – 92 Octane pump gas (AKI) – 40% or lower

The following are guidelines and are not endorsed by BMS. Follow at your own risk:

What to look for when monitoring timing and boost:

For timing, look for repeated 3 degree step reductions, this is indication of timing be retarded and the motor may be experiencing pre-detonation. Octane should be increased or the dial decreased.
NOTE: Timing is measured only at Cylinder #1, so not seeing 3 degree reductions via the CAN tool does not necessarily mean that pre-detonation in other cylinders is not occurring.

Since the DME works based off of engine load (and not just boost), as ambient temperatures increase so does the possibility of pre-detonation. Monitor timing and boost as seasons change. Remember cold weather is your friend. NOTE: Your peak boost will be noticeably higher in warmer temperatures, but your car will feel every bit as strong at lower boost in cooler temperatures, if not stronger.

When monitoring boost be cautious of readings consistently over 18 psi.

i figure i'd start a new thread here for BMS tunes as the N18 thread is getting a bit long and overly dominated, as of late, by BMS information. i hope none of the earlier (than me) adopters mind that i've taken on this endeavor.

the days leading up to my getting the JB+, i hooked up my garmin ecoroute to see what kind of boost i was running. it was pretty clear that the car was topping out at 13psi. i'm not sure what overboost is, or if i ever got into overboost, but i didn't see anything over 13psi.

so i drove up to Terry in Simi Valley last thursday to get the beta version of the JB+ installed. as i mentioned in the other thread, this install took less than a minute. Terry also hooked up the CAN tool. he did a quick scan for any stored codes, which there were none, and we were off and running. btw, the CAN tool does an initial gauge sweep. you can also play around with the settings to have different readings come up on the center speedometer and candy corn fuel gauge lights (boost, afr, iat, timing advance, and throttle). you can also read/erase codes withthe CAN tool, so it's a pretty nifty and useful piece of equipment to have.

so in the initial drive, Terry ripped up and down the street a few times to see what kind of boost my mini was putting out (topped out at just a touch over 16psi), and to make sure nothing funky was happening. i couldn't tell from the passenger seat if the car was faster, or if it was just a result of a heavy foot - i drive pretty modest speeds/accelerations. =) after a couple of times up and down the street, and a little bit of chatting, Terry sent me on my way.

my initial thoughts were, alright, this is faster, but i'm not sure i'm feeling the same pull that people have been raving about. but then i realized that Terry had mentioned an adjustment period. quite frankly, i think there's a driver's adjustment period as well. not sure if it's all in my head, but it didn't feel like boost came on the same way as it did pre-tune, but when it came on, it CAME ON!

it really wasn't until the next day when i was driving w/o the wife that i got the full effect of the JB+. we drove about 30 mins out to pick up our new car and i told her she can enjoy the new wheels and i'll take the mini out for a rip. after she left the dealership, i had my sales associate hop in for a ride. his daily drive is an S5 and he was mightily impressed with how peppy my mini was - man-sized gokart is about as accurate as a description as one can give it. i hopped back on the freeway and headed on home, and boy was that drive back fun! i felt like the JB+ makes the mini chug along just a bit deeper into the higher rpm range, which is nice! add that to the nice hard pull once the car's in boost and you have some significant performance improvements. it's also fun to see the dials/lights dance around when you're in boost!

i've been enjoying the mini enough that i don't mind that the wife's been taking the new car to work in our first week of ownership, haha! kudos to Terry for putting together the JB+, and doing so quite quickly! hopefully, for the sake of those not in socal, the JB+ will be tried and trued shortly, and made available to you all! i'm also pretty excited to see what else Terry has in store!

Last edited by jomama; 03-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
i figure i'd start a new thread here for BMS tunes as the N18 thread is getting a bit long and overly dominated, as of late, but BMS information. i hope none of the earlier (than me) adopters mind that i've taken on this endeavor....
Have you measured boost levels after JB+?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
Have you measured boost levels after JB+?
yeah, duh...shoulda mentioned that in the original post, eh? i'll add it. it's coming up at just a touch over 16psi on my hijacked speedo.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Spot on with the review...my same experience.

We should have a tally of how many people have it on this forum, and push to hit that 10 ppl mark Terry is looking for.

Stop waiting around folks! This is OUR tuning SOLUTION! (speaking to the SoCal people)

I'm up to 18 psi and the car is a damn freight train. My gf definitely noticed the difference when I hammered it on the highway on ramp lol
And I'm averaging 34.5mpg..(hand calculations)

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
daniel4d
1st Gear
Glad to hear you are really enjoying your JB+. I am looking forward to the start of sales and if there was a preorder option I would sign up for that right now.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
I'm getting pumped waiting for this! Any of the beta testers running mods or all stock?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
We should have a tally of how many people have it on this forum, and push to hit that 10 ppl mark Terry is looking for.
agreed. and are you hitting 18psi with water/meth? or just jb+ and a bunch of bolt ons.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If BMS's track record in BMW is any indication, they will continue to develop the product even after the release.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
That is really cool about the CAN tools, what did they have to do to load the tune? Do you pull the ecu out? What mods are you running with the tune now? My stock 2011 is right at 13 psi with a cone filter, and a secondary cat delete.

Sean

Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
My experience with Terry and Beta testing thus far has been very positive. If I have a question like last Sunday night he has gotten back to me with in minutes. I have an 11 S and had an issues with 2 codes kicking on the Cel light. The codes do not appear at the moment to be harmful (like a lean condition) and the tuner code turn off has kept the CEL light off. Terry has said he is in the process of resolving this with the 11 model year. As said above, after 50 or so miles the added boost really seems to show. Maybe it's the ECU adapting to the new MAF curve, but the car is a lot quicker throught the Rev band.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Azminispeedin
My experience with Terry and Beta testing thus far has been very positive. If I have a question like last Sunday night he has gotten back to me with in minutes. I have an 11 S and had an issues with 2 codes kicking on the Cel light. The codes do not appear at the moment to be harmful (like a lean condition) and the tuner code turn off has kept the CEL light off. Terry has said he is in the process of resolving this with the 11 model year. As said above, after 50 or so miles the added boost really seems to show. Maybe it's the ECU adapting to the new MAF curve, but the car is a lot quicker throught the Rev band.
So there is a problem with solely the `11? this is the first i've heard of the JB+ throwing codes.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:49 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
They definitely are, the JB4 will be available for us in the future.

And I'm hitting 18psi because I have meth, which keeps things cool, so the increased heat generated is no biggie.
I was given the green light by Terry because I have the meth, so he was comfortable letting me increase it a bit. There is a dial inside the JB+ that's lets you adjust between min-max.

I do also have all the relevant bolt on stuff to give some more power gains.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dustypants
I'm getting pumped waiting for this! Any of the beta testers running mods or all stock?
all i have at the moment is an alta fmic.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smokeysevin
That is really cool about the CAN tools, what did they have to do to load the tune? Do you pull the ecu out? What mods are you running with the tune now? My stock 2011 is right at 13 psi with a cone filter, and a secondary cat delete.

Sean
the CAN tool plugs right into the obd2 port. to install the JB+, you basically pull a connector off (under the hood), attach the JB+ between the connector and the sensor - literally takes less than a minute.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
According to Terry, the 11's have been kicking out an odd code, happened to me and another 11. The car drives great A/F seems safe, so for the time being we have turned the light off with the CEL delete code. Terry is working on it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, "North American Motoring" <do_not_reply@northamericanmotoring.com> wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
You must log into NAM to reply to this post
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Azminispeedin,

HorizonBLueN18 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s) - in the Drivetrain (Cooper S) forum of North American Motoring.

This thread is located at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Azminispeedin)---
---End Quote---
So there is a problem with solely the `11? this is the first i've heard of the JB+ throwing codes.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
North American Motoring

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
jomama
4th Gear
According to Terry, the 11's have been kicking out an odd code, happened to me and another 11. The car drives great A/F seems safe, so for the time being we have turned the light off with the CEL delete code. Terry is working on it.
the CAN tool is pretty useful for reading and clearing codes.

Last edited by jomama; 08-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2013, at 1:45 PM, "North American Motoring" <do_not_reply@northamericanmotoring.com> wrote:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
You must log into NAM to reply to this post

Dear Azminispeedin,

HorizonBLueN18 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s) - in the Drivetrain (Cooper S) forum of North American Motoring.

This thread is located at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Azminispeedin)---
---End Quote---

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
North American Motoring

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:
First time I've seen a post like this lol

Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Not to keep posting but the dial integrated into the JB+ interest me. it seems like if you have a slew of bolt ons you could crank it up just a tiny bit. But then what would be the point of having a stage 1 or stage 2 when you can just fiddle with boost settings already.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
Terry could chime in but from what I remember the test car he had running at 18psi saw some detonation and thus pulled timing around 5k rpm. With the tuned at its current state, running 18psi should be cautioned and run with a light mix of E85 or like the above post with Meth.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Tester

Hi i have the system installed on my MINI aswell, shes a build date 12/2011 MINI Cooper S Coupe. Some mods done are 2.5 exhaust, FMIC, Forge Recirc valve, JCW stage 1 conical intake and lots more overall, Methanol injection is my next step.

Last edited by minimechusa; 08-07-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minimechusa
Hi i have the system installed on my MINI aswell, shes a build date 12/2011 MINI Cooper S Coupe. Some mods done are 2.5 exhaust, FMIC, Forge Recirc valve, JCW stage 1 conical intake and lots more overall, Methanol injection is my next step. Attachment 79288 The Yellow line is boost i am peaking at 18psi and it drops a touch as i go through the rpm range. The pull is from 2000 rpm up to 6500 rpm.
Granted I don't know what unit of measurement the x axis is on, but your boost seems to drop pretty quick and then stay at stock levels.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Ill post up a stock run in just a second the yellow is measured in PSI the rest dont worry about ill remove it from the next graph

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Removed the graphs

Last edited by minimechusa; 08-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minimechusa
Attachment 79304 this was stock yellow is measured in PSI
I stand corrected. That looks substantially different.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Both runs are from 2000rpm to 6500rpm, PM me if you have any other questions i dont want to clutter up the thread but ill be happy to answer anything i can!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)