Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yesti
Originally I let the car go to sleep (~15 min) before installing the JB+. Got used to how the car drove. Low end (off idle to ~1500rpm) was a little boggy, just like stock, when cold so if I had to merge quickly from a stop (parking lot to street, for example) I would use the sport mode to make sure it zipped out of there.

I'm in the process of installing some audio equipment so I unhooked the battery for the first time since installing the JB+ last night. Today I noticed the low end was much smoother. Maybe it's because I'm back in the 50-100 mile adjustment period for the JB+ and/or the engine is relearning how to operate but I can't say I don't like it. Just wondering if anyone else noticed that.
its not uncommon for people to report better performance after unhooking the battery.

apparently the common concensus is the car is better at "re-adapting" to the mods/ driving style if the computer is completely reset.

now im not an automotive/ electrical engineer...so i wont pretend to try and understand how the BMW ecu/ systems work.......but seeing as how the car had to initially adapt to the JB+....its seems reasonable to think it would adapt/ integrate better if it was always there (as far as the ecu is concerned).

im going to be under the hood this weekend, so while im underthere i may disconnect the battery and see if i can report anything similar.

Last edited by Mcameron; 11-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I didn't think that disconnecting the battery would reset the adaptations. You can IIRC reset them using the secret menu on the BC.

Last edited by cerenkov; 11-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...so I unhooked the battery for the first time since installing the JB+ last night. Today I noticed the low end was much smoother. Maybe it's because I'm back in the 50-100 mile adjustment period for the JB+ and/or the engine is relearning how to operate but I can't say I don't like it. Just wondering if anyone else noticed that.
Originally Posted by Mcameron
its not uncommon for people to report better performance after unhooking the battery.

apparently the common concensus is the car is better at "re-adapting" to the mods/ driving style if the computer is completely reset.

now im not an automotive/ electrical engineer...so i wont pretend to try and understand how the BMW ecu/ systems work.......but seeing as how the car had to initially adapt to the JB+....its seems reasonable to think it would adapt/ integrate better if it was always there (as far as the ecu is concerned).

im going to be under the hood this weekend, so while im under there i may disconnect the battery and see if i can report anything similar.

This feels like the start of an ol’ wives tale...however if empirical data proves otherwise I, along with most readers / JB+ owners will certainly be unhooking batteries in rapid succession.

Would love to hear Terry weigh in on this.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
This feels like the start of an ol’ wives tale...however if empirical data proves otherwise I, along with most readers / JB+ owners will certainly be unhooking batteries in rapid succession.

Would love to hear Terry weigh in on this.
Might be a placebo effect, but it was noticeable even though I wasn't looking for it. Don't see much harm in trying it for yourself, seems like all you have to do is reset your clock.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM
pepperwhiteknight
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In the process of my dyno-less jb+ testing over the past month, the obc reset and battery disconnect procedures do nothing. If you want to feel a difference remove the JB+ and drive.
Yesti the MINI is just giving you some love back for giving it nice things and spending some quality time with it.

This is from the 1st gen forums but it may apply on our MINIs...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9-post284.html
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
The Adaptation Values are stored in EEPROM (similar to how the BIOS info is stored on your computer); so disconnecting your battery will NOT clear the adaptation values.

I can unplug my car battery, then remove the ECU and then connect the ECU on a bench reader and still read out the stored adaptation values inside that ECU. So in short, you need a special tool to "Clear Adaptations"...

And there are multiple adapations to clear:

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
You may have reset your long term fuel trims. If the jb+ relies on the fuel trims to compensate for more air, you are likely running lean and making more power. May want to let it settle back in...

Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
You may have reset your long term fuel trims. If the jb+ relies on the fuel trims to compensate for more air, you are likely running lean and making more power. May want to let it settle back in...
Been only 'city' driving it since the battery disconnect, no WOT pulls. That's the main reason I noticed the smoother low end. Even if it changes back to the way it was before, it's still WAY better than stock so I'd be happy either way.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM
rAte
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally

Ordered! Bought wheels and tires right before they released...
Can't wait for USPS next week!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Is there any way to tell if your Mini is pulling timing. I tried running AFR & Timing on my hijacked gauges, but it gets really confusing to read while driving. Plus the hijack mode only kicks in when 5psi or higher. Wish there was a way to have constant feedback at the push of a button. Anyways, Mini is running great, lots of power, just want to know what knock or pulled timing would sound or feel like I.e any warning signs besides CEL?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:32 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Is there any way to tell if your Mini is pulling timing. I tried running AFR & Timing on my hijacked gauges, but it gets really confusing to read while driving. Plus the hijack mode only kicks in when 5psi or higher. Wish there was a way to have constant feedback at the push of a button. Anyways, Mini is running great, lots of power, just want to know what knock or pulled timing would sound or feel like I.e any warning signs besides CEL?
I also think it is hard to monitor that stuff real time so I data log it using DashCommand and study it after the fact.

If you're in imminent danger you should throw a code.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Good to know,

What's dash command...

Thanks

Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
May also consider Track Recorder for the app Torque on android. I use it to capture video with an overlay of timing, boost, rpm, throttle, water temps, and speed.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I also think it is hard to monitor that stuff real time so I data log it using DashCommand and study it after the fact.

If you're in imminent danger you should throw a code.

Does the "DashCommand" work in real time and fast enough to be used as a gauge?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
It does, IIRC is scans about 8-10 times per second. Which is ok if what I want.

So I have gauges displayed on the iPhone and data log at the same time. Then download the data to excel to study it. Or you can you their software, I prefer excel.

Now you can't use the can tool and DashCommand at the same time.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Good to know,

What's dash command...

Thanks

Here's a heads up to all my fellow MINI and iPhone owners about DashCommand™, just in case you're interested.

You may want to jump on this right away...because it'll probably be for a limited time; but right now the app for iPhones: DashCommand™ – OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics is 'on sale' for just $9.99 vs. $49.99 usually. (They also make an Android version)

iTunes: http://appshopper.com/link/dashcommand

Keep in mind it also needs a way to communicate with the OBD II (wired or via Bluetooth) and they must be iPhone compatible.

Hopefully there are some of you out there that were looking for this type of app but thought the price tag for DashCommand™ was a bit high...now's your chance.

Again like I said; this price may not last long...could only be for days or just until they sell 'X' amount.

Best of luck

Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 PM
maupassant
1st Gear
First of all, I do not have the jb+.
My car is almost stock and while driving , at WOT, i can see that timing is 0 and increases to 2 or 3 when nearing redline. I get the info on my scangauge.

Is it safe to consider adding the jb+?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
DashCommand / Blue Tooth

Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
Here's a heads up to all my fellow MINI and iPhone owners about DashCommand™, just in case you're interested.

You may want to jump on this right away...because it'll probably be for a limited time; but right now the app for iPhones: DashCommand™ – OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics is 'on sale' for just $9.99 vs. $49.99 usually. (They also make an Android version)

iTunes: http://appshopper.com/link/dashcommand

Keep in mind it also needs a way to communicate with the OBD II (wired or via Bluetooth) and they must be iPhone compatible.

Hopefully there are some of you out there that were looking for this type of app but thought the price tag for DashCommand™ was a bit high...now's your chance.

Again like I said; this price may not last long...could only be for days or just until they sell 'X' amount.

Best of luck
Will the standard Bluetooth sync through the radio work as a link for the DashCommand?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
pepperwhiteknight
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim Christensen
Will the standard Bluetooth sync through the radio work as a link for the DashCommand?
No. A dongle type device that can plug into the OBD port is required. I think ELM327 based is the most common. Android can use the Bluetooth version of the OBD dongles but iOS must be WiFi because of the way Apple locked it down the Bluetooth.

Last edited by pepperwhiteknight; 11-02-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maupassant
First of all, I do not have the jb+.
My car is almost stock and while driving , at WOT, i can see that timing is 0 and increases to 2 or 3 when nearing redline. I get the info on my scangauge.

Is it safe to consider adding the jb+?
What mods do you have that make you worry? At least it's not yanking timing on you

Old 11-03-2013, 01:40 AM
maupassant
1st Gear
What mods do you have that make you worry? At least it's not yanking timing on you
I'm not really worried, just curious. I just want to know how to read the Timing info on my scangauge.

Mods on car are basic: Akrapovic complete line including DP, Okada coils, Evolve FMIC waiting to be installed

Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maupassant
I'm not really worried, just curious. I just want to know how to read the Timing info on my scangauge.

Mods on car are basic: Akrapovic complete line including DP, Okada coils, Evolve FMIC waiting to be installed
Here's a couple posts from further up this thread from Terry on timing:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5-post746.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5-post750.html

Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Here's a screen shot of the newest version of the DashCommand app (you can have multiple screens - from an iPhone 5):

You can easily add gauges to your hearts desire. Also there is a really good 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer in the app. I paid $50 three months ago so the sale price of $10 is a great deal.

You can also totally get crazy and use the free downloadable software (Windows only) to write more custom gauges but I feel that with the new version is this not really needed.

I just added the charting on Saturday to see if I can better monitor AFR and Timing and I need to fix the scaling today (really easy to do - but I was driving at the time) - so kind of ignore that weirdness.

It also has a play back mode which is kind of cool.

The wifi adapter I bought is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1EF0SN5964

The nice thing about this adapter is that it flashes a blue and red light so you can tell if it is ON and transmitting. And it has a ON/OFF pushbutton so you don't have to unplug it (I generally leave mine on and it hasn't drained the battery yet).

With the iPhone you CANNOT use bluetooth - MUST use wifi. For android you can use bluetooth but I never tried it with an android phone. The nice thing about android is that you can pickup a used phone for cheap and have it as a dedicated display (iPhones are more expensive on the used market).

Their direct website for more info is http://www.palmerperformance.com

Someone asked about sampling rate - on the data log I'm getting about 10 data points per second (10 Hz)

Last edited by cerenkov; 11-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 AM
maupassant
1st Gear
Here's a couple posts from further up this thread from Terry on timing:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5-post746.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5-post750.html
Thanks

So nothing to worry about as it seems thats it's normal that timing pulls up from 0 to 2,3.
We supposedly have RON95 fuel here (i'm from Mauritius on the other side of the globe) and hopefully the JB+ will be a nice upgrade when I do go for it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 AM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
iPhone

Originally Posted by pepperwhiteknight
No. A dongle type device that can plug into the OBD port is required. I think ELM327 based is the most common. Android can use the Bluetooth version of the OBD dongles but iOS must be WiFi because of the way Apple locked it down the Bluetooth.
Thanks I didn't think so. I have an iPhone. Appreciate any feedback on a WiFi dongle that works well (and is a good value) with iPhone in an R56 N18 application. Particularly any feedback on the WiFi version of the ELM327.

Thanks in advance for any help mates.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Here's a screen shot of the newest version of the DashCommand app (you can have multiple screens - from an iPhone 5): You can easily add gauges to your hearts desire. Also there is a really good 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer in the app. I paid $50 three months ago so the sale price of $10 is a great deal. You can also totally get crazy and use the free downloadable software (Windows only) to write more custom gauges but I feel that with the new version is this not really needed. I just added the charting on Saturday to see if I can better monitor AFR and Timing and I need to fix the scaling today (really easy to do - but I was driving at the time) - so kind of ignore that weirdness. It also has a play back mode which is kind of cool. The wifi adapter I bought is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1EF0SN5964 The nice thing about this adapter is that it flashes a blue and red light so you can tell if it is ON and transmitting. And it has a ON/OFF pushbutton so you don't have to unplug it (I generally leave mine on and it hasn't drained the battery yet). With the iPhone you CANNOT use bluetooth - MUST use wifi. For android you can use bluetooth but I never tried it with an android phone. The nice thing about android is that you can pickup a used phone for cheap and have it as a dedicated display (iPhones are more expensive on the used market). Their direct website for more info is http://www.palmerperformance.com Someone asked about sampling rate - on the data log I'm getting about 10 data points per second (10 Hz)
Do you have the details about the wifi adapter? The link is not pulling it up. I have used the Palmer products before and they are great.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)