Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am noticing idle issues with my GP and the JB+. Seems like once it starts to get at normal oil temp like around 10mins of running the car, the idle is bouncing like it wants to die (jumping around a lot). This is the second day in a row it did this in the morning outside temp been around the 40's. It will only happen once i am at a light, after i get to the next light which maybe 600ft it will run fine.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I've noticed some idle issues but it is only within the first few minutes of starting the car. It doesn't occur every time.

Not sure if it JB+ related or not.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooj GP
I am noticing idle issues with my GP and the JB+. Seems like once it starts to get at normal oil temp like around 10mins of running the car, the idle is bouncing like it wants to die (jumping around a lot). This is the second day in a row it did this in the morning outside temp been around the 40's. It will only happen once i am at a light, after i get to the next light which maybe 600ft it will run fine.
Just wondering, when you installed the JB+ did you disconnect the battery or sleep the car?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Just wondering, when you installed the JB+ did you disconnect the battery or sleep the car?

Yessir, i locked the doors and waited 30mins to be safe before the install

Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
And performance wise? What are the differences?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery since? If not, would you be willing to try that? Don't hammer on it for at least 50 miles but see if that cold idle problem is still there.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
And performance wise? What are the differences?
I posted my thoughts a few posts ago but, i have mixed feelings i can feel the difference right off the bat but once i hit around 3k and high to be it feels like its slower?? I have it set at 10oclock on the dial, so since its at a low setting i have no idea if that is why i feel this way. I like to run e83 but there's a lot of horror stories out there with running e85 in cars.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Have you disconnected the battery since? If not, would you be willing to try that? Don't hammer on it for at least 50 miles but see if that cold idle problem is still there.
Not a the moment, ill see how it plays out, its only happens for a short time and twice so far.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
I posted my thoughts a few posts ago but, i have mixed feelings i can feel the difference right off the bat but once i hit around 3k and high to be it feels like its slower?? I have it set at 10oclock on the dial, so since its at a low setting i have no idea if that is why i feel this way. I like to run e83 but there's a lot of horror stories out there with running e85 in cars.
Yep, I saw your post, just wondering how it was going. thanks for sharing!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the drawbacks of using the JB+ beta? I think it would be nice to add on demand the extra HP and torque. But I have a few questions.
1. It takes time for the car to adjust when it is in place. What happens when you remove it? Is there another adjustment backwards?
2. Does it adjust separately for normal and sport modes?
3. Do you need the CAN Tool to use the JB+?
4. Can I get one that takes away HP? (I got a daughter in college and she has a heavier foot than me!)

Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by StrikeZ
What are the drawbacks of using the JB+ beta? I think it would be nice to add on demand the extra HP and torque. But I have a few questions.
1. It takes time for the car to adjust when it is in place. What happens when you remove it? Is there another adjustment backwards?
2. Does it adjust separately for normal and sport modes?
3. Do you need the CAN Tool to use the JB+?
4. Can I get one that takes away HP? (I got a daughter in college and she has a heavier foot than me!)
1. Yes there is another adjustment period when you remove it.
2. No it does not adjust separately. Its the same in normal and sport.
3. No you do not NEED the CAN Tool to use the JB+, but it's probably better because you can monitor boost and timing.
4. Not that I know of but you can keep it at or near stock by turning the dial all the way down.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What plugs are people running? I am running these NGK LKR8AP.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
mini rocket
Neutral
I noticed the idle fluctuations on cold startup, I've let the car idle down off the fast idle for about a minute before touching the gas. It seems to help smooth out any idle issues for me. Note: manual transmission

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
ogfish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The DME is programmed to compensate for higher pumping loses due to elevation (baro), intake temperatures, and other factors, by raising boost. The JB+ takes advantage of part of this logic. We have not done much high elevation JB+ testing but I expect at 4500' you will still see some benefit with the JB+. At 9,000' I'd expect almost no benefit.
Anyone using the JB+ above 5000'? Thoughts on it at the higher elevation?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ogfish
Anyone using the JB+ above 5000'? Thoughts on it at the higher elevation?
I'm in Albuquerque, which Wikipedia says is 5300 ft. I've been really impressed with the JB+ and saw a big increase in acceleration. I ran it at the stock setting for a few weeks but dialed it back a notch last weekend since we only have 91 here. I wasn't having any problems with the stock setting, but I decided to play it safe.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini rocket
I noticed the idle fluctuations on cold startup, I've let the car idle down off the fast idle for about a minute before touching the gas. It seems to help smooth out any idle issues for me. Note: manual transmission
I did what you suggested with my cold start issue and it worked.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
ogfish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I'm in Albuquerque, which Wikipedia says is 5300 ft. I've been really impressed with the JB+ and saw a big increase in acceleration. I ran it at the stock setting for a few weeks but dialed it back a notch last weekend since we only have 91 here. I wasn't having any problems with the stock setting, but I decided to play it safe.
You're actually the exact person I was hoping to respond as I'm in ABQ as well. I'd be putting it on an other wise bone stock all4 and it will probably stay that way for a while. I'd probably tone it back a little as well myself until I opened up the breathing.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Im at 8000+ Wondering If I should pull the trigger...

Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
I'll have to see how it does next time I'm in Santa Fe. It's around 7200 ft. And once ski season starts I should get a feel for even higher elevations.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
jomama
4th Gear
You're actually the exact person I was hoping to respond as I'm in ABQ as well. I'd be putting it on an other wise bone stock all4 and it will probably stay that way for a while. I'd probably tone it back a little as well myself until I opened up the breathing.
if by opening up the breathing you mean getting an intake, you're not gonna help matters all that much. from what terry has been saying, the best insurance is one of 3 things - water/meth injection, higher octane, or 20% mix of e85 in your tank.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
ogfish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
if by opening up the breathing you mean getting an intake, you're not gonna help matters all that much. from what terry has been saying, the best insurance is one of 3 things - water/meth injection, higher octane, or 20% mix of e85 in your tank.
Opening up the breathing I was looking more along the lines of an aftermarket FMIC. From my understanding the only true aftermarket CAI is the DoS for the R60/61. e85 is availible two minutes away from the house, so I could do the mix at any fill up I wanted. Personally though I wouldn't want to crank the pot unless I had more support than just higher octane / 20% e85.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Opening up the breathing I was looking more along the lines of an aftermarket FMIC.
got it. fmic's are good, but all they do is offset some heat soak you'd get with the stock fmic.

From my understanding the only true aftermarket CAI is the DoS for the R60/61.
yeah, and even then, the improvements from what i've read aren't that drastic. but to each his own.

Personally though I wouldn't want to crank the pot unless I had more support than just higher octane / 20% e85.
neither would i. i'd use either/both for preventative purposes, not for pushing the envelope. terry's pretty high on e85. the closest station to me, unfortunately, is 20 highway mins away. =/

Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jomama
got it. fmic's are good, but all they do is offset some heat soak you'd get with the stock fmic. yeah, and even then, the improvements from what i've read aren't that drastic. but to each his own. neither would i. i'd use either/both for preventative purposes, not for pushing the envelope. terry's pretty high on e85. the closest station to me, unfortunately, is 20 highway mins away. =/
The FMIC makes a big difference if your in 90+ degrees in the summer time like in the Midwest. I noticed how the power was smooth and boost wasn't getting cut off in higher RPM's, basically mashing the pedal but power was being robbed.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
ogfish
1st Gear
Now the question is to I process the order or wait. Still under 1k miles on the car... hmmm I've liked all the reviews posted by users of the JB+ and it doesn't seem like there is a better "bang for your buck" availible for the cars.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Now the question is to I process the order or wait. Still under 1k miles on the car... hmmm I've liked all the reviews posted by users of the JB+ and it doesn't seem like there is a better "bang for your buck" availible for the cars.
I can't even believe that you are debating this...just order it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)