Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:13 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
Also, BRGII/Black FTW!
socal brg2/black ftw! =)

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
Checking with others who are driving automatics;

When accelerating rather aggressively, the front tires appear to start skipping. It seems to happen as the transmission is shifting.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm either losing traction or the transmission isn't shifting correctly. Can't tell. Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cenobyt

When accelerating rather aggressively, the front tires appear to start skipping. It seems to happen as the transmission is shifting.

I'm either losing traction or the transmission isn't shifting correctly. Can't tell. Any ideas?
i have an a/t. last week, i gave the gas a little bit of a stomp getting on the freeway and broke the tires loose. the tires felt like they were "skipping". i'm pretty certain it was not the transmission, but i was surprised that traction control didn't kick in. i don't drive my car like this often, but from my limited experience, i don't think it's the transmission.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
LoL, yeah u r loosing traction.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Checking with others who are driving automatics; When accelerating rather aggressively, the front tires appear to start skipping. It seems to happen as the transmission is shifting. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm either losing traction or the transmission isn't shifting correctly. Can't tell. Any ideas?
I haven't noticed this. Now I'm always in manual mode though.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
Traction control definitely doesn't kick in. But I'm also letting off real quick when I feel it happening. I'm noticing it more and more. I'm also starting to see boost hitting 17.4 psi, however no correlation to when the skipping occurs.

A few times both taking off from a stop and at like 40 mph the tires have just spun loose squealing.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Skipping tires

Try totally disengaging the dsc & traction control and see if the problem persists. Push and hold (rather than a quick push and release which disables the traction control only) the dsc/traction control button for three seconds or so until the large yellow caution triangle appears in your information center.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
I'll try that, thanks.

Originally Posted by Jim Christensen
Try totally disengaging the dsc & traction control and see if the problem persists. Push and hold (rather than a quick push and release which disables the traction control only) the dsc/traction control button for three seconds or so until the large yellow caution triangle appears in your information center.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this just straight line acceleration? Are you pushing the kickdown switch or just before it? Is this from a stop or while rolling? What speed are you starting from?

I get the DSC to kick in under partial throttle in turns, which is not something I should repeat often I think. No skipping just the light flashing and me backing off.

I've hammered it to the floor from 20-50 in a straight line, kicked down a gear and gotten no skipping.

Are your windows down when this happens? Do you hear the tires losing traction?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Depending on the ethanol content of the fuel used at some point the DME can run out of fuel trim room. So keep an eye on AFR as well.
Good point, I didn't consider that my 93 octane had 10% ethanol. While it's a knock inhibitor, fuel trims still have to compensate. This is where an ECU remap can get more gains. I backed the JB+ down to 6 today and did some more testing during my lunch hour. Things are much more stable now and I still hit 16.5psi. It was about 25 degrees colder than yesterday during my testing so it's difficult to do an accurate comparison. It still feels fast as hell compared to when it's removed. I'll leave it on 6 for a while and let it adapt again to see how things go.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carhopper, are the only mods you have your alta intake?

you seem like youve been running the JB+ fine at 6 running on 93 octane, do you notice a significant difference between the 5 and 6 setings?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Yes only the Alta drop in filter. I don't "feel" a difference between the two, but monitoring the boost the difference was about 1.5 psi, but 6 is much more stable. At 7, my boost was jumping around and I did see it pull timing from 6 degrees abruptly back to 3 degrees which told me it didn't like something. I'm not a professional tuner by any means, I've just learned a few things with turbo cars over the years so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a batch of 30 in. We'll update the site as in stock shortly.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carhopper
Yes only the Alta drop in filter. I don't "feel" a difference between the two, but monitoring the boost the difference was about 1.5 psi, but 6 is much more stable. At 7, my boost was jumping around and I did see it pull timing from 6 degrees abruptly back to 3 degrees which told me it didn't like something. I'm not a professional tuner by any means, I've just learned a few things with turbo cars over the years so take all of this with a grain of salt.
Stock is 5? Don't remember since I installed mine about 1500 miles ago.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
Straight line acceleration. Usually rolling (20mph) then stomping on the pedal. No manual shifting of any sort. Car accelerates really strong and then out of nowhere thud thud thud (me mimicking what I think I'm feeling) I let off and all good. It almost feels like I hit a series of raised cracks in the road.

At a dead stop and even once on the highway under strong acceleration, the tires have and will lose enough traction to spin and squeal.

No DSC lights but then again I'm letting off really quick. I tried the DSC thing that was mentioned in a previous post. This does not work for my 2013. It's click on or click off traction control. Holding the button does nothing different. It did on my 2010.

I am running stock run flats. They do need to be replaced in the next couple of months.

Maybe next time I won't let off.

Originally Posted by yesti
Is this just straight line acceleration? Are you pushing the kickdown switch or just before it? Is this from a stop or while rolling? What speed are you starting from?

I get the DSC to kick in under partial throttle in turns, which is not something I should repeat often I think. No skipping just the light flashing and me backing off.

I've hammered it to the floor from 20-50 in a straight line, kicked down a gear and gotten no skipping.

Are your windows down when this happens? Do you hear the tires losing traction?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Skipping tires

Try holding it for five seconds or until the caution triangle comes on indicating DSC is disabled. I have a 2013 S as well with a manual transmission. I ordered it with the sport package which includes the DTC (dyanamic traction control) feature which permits you to disengage both the traction and dynamic stability control programs. Did your car come with the DTC option? If not this might explain the skipping "feeling" as the engine power is modulated to maintain traction.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
This could potentially be my issue. I have DSC off. I'll have to test more later tonight. It doesn't appear that I have DTC as I'm not able to disengage it. Oddly enough I have the JCW sport suspension. Maybe it wasn't pay off my build.

Try holding it for five seconds or until the caution triangle comes on indicating DSC is disabled. I have a 2013 S as well with a manual transmission. I ordered it with the sport package which includes the DTC (dyanamic traction control) feature which permits you to disengage both the traction and dynamic stability control programs. Did your car come with the DTC option? If not this might explain the skipping "feeling" as the engine power is modulated to maintain traction.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
yup DSC seems to be the culprit. thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
yup DSC seems to be the culprit. thanks
Im guessing your outside temps are dropping which is good for the engine and giving you some extra kick, not a bad thing . And the electric nanny is trying to save you from yourself. My outside temps are mid 80's so no winter boost for me :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Stock is 5? Don't remember since I installed mine about 1500 miles ago.
Yes, they ship in the 5 or 12 o'clock position

Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Just got a batch of 30 in. We'll update the site as in stock shortly.
Would it be ok to buy one for a GP at this time. Thx!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by carhopper
Yes, they ship in the 5 or 12 o'clock position
Ok call me lost. Is there different models of JB+ ? Mine is just a box , is there an adjustable version ?

Ok looked up manual, I see now it has a pot to tweek, MUST stay out , I have to tell myself that now.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooj GP
Would it be ok to buy one for a GP at this time. Thx!
My GP runs perfect, I installed it at with only 62 miles. JB+ was the first thing I did. Get one!!!!

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
My GP runs perfect, I installed it at with only 62 miles. JB+ was the first thing I did. Get one!!!!
What octane and JB pot setting you running?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by martincohn
What octane and JB pot setting you running?
A tank is about 14 gallons, I run 3Gof E85 and the rest 91. Seems to work great, I did hit 21psi the other day and timing was perfect

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)