Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 2013 Cooper S Coupe and Alta Turbo Catback Exhaust. CELs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 Cooper S Coupe and Alta Turbo Catback Exhaust. CELs?

Hello all.

Just had a quick question and was hoping someone may have an answer.

Will the newest 2013 Alta Turbo JCW Catback Exhaust throw CELs on my 2013 Cooper S Coupe? My installer said it shouldn't but from posts i've seen around it seems older models did. Just was curious.

I'll post a followup once its installed this Tuesday
TIA

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
YES YES YES x 10000 it will throw a CEL!

The only way to get rid of the CEL on an aftermarket downpipe is to have an ECU tune that suppresses the emissions related codes.

Looks like that installer just wants your money and isn't being honest with you.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
YES YES YES x 10000 it will throw a CEL!

The only way to get rid of the CEL on an aftermarket downpipe is to have an ECU tune that suppresses the emissions related codes.

Looks like that installer just wants your money and isn't being honest with you.
A O2 spacer can also prevent codes. that's what I ran on my GTI. But if you want a cheaper way to clear codes and allow you to hack the dash of your car http://burgertuning.com/CAN_reader_tool_for_BMW.html

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
When I used an O2 sensor spacer it just delays the CEL. It will come up though.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
ahh!! d@$n it.. thats what i was thinking too about CEL.. sad face.. but thanks all for the quick feedback! i may go the tune route, AP way that others seem to be.. and of course Alta said it won't throw any CELs either.. hmmm.. i may have to see if i can get a discount on the AP if I do get CELs like crazy since they guaranteed it.

btw, has anyone done 2013 Alta Turboback exhaust? i'm just hoping they have a magical O2 sensor helper hehe.. (i'm so not very car mechanical techy.. )

Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
ahh!! d@$n it.. thats what i was thinking too about CEL.. sad face.. but thanks all for the quick feedback! i may go the tune route, AP way that others seem to be.. and of course Alta said it won't throw any CELs either.. hmmm.. i may have to see if i can get a discount on the AP if I do get CELs like crazy since they guaranteed it.

btw, has anyone done 2013 Alta Turboback exhaust? i'm just hoping they have a magical O2 sensor helper hehe.. (i'm so not very car mechanical techy.. )

I mean this with the best intentions, but stay away from Alta's garbage. Their marketing makes them look bigger than life, but their product's quality has slipped tremendously. What's funny about the AccessPort, is that Cobb doesn't even support it anymore. Waste of money! Way Motor Works and Detroit Tuned refuse to sell their stuff anymore. What does that say?!

If you want more power, you need to upgrade your intercooler, have a decatted downpipe, some kind of free-flowing exhaust, and an ECU tune. The Alta system is big, heavy, and has two catalysts on it. Either way, you're looking at about $1900 before install to get a proper power upgrade. IMO, there is money much better spent on the MINI platform. It's certainly not a pony car.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
ok.. so.. does anyone actually have this NEWer version on their mini??

@Countryboyshane

so.. i assume you have had a 2013 Alta JCW downpipe and exhaust recently installed or have installed a few Alta exhausts? i've read some very good things about Alta on other mini sites and car sites.

i have verified w/Alta that the 2013 JCW downpipe exhaust system will not throw any CELs since replaces the downpipe after the O2 sensor. I guess i'll find out first hand tomorrow if it will throw CELs or not.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe there was a misunderstanding about the part, looks like Jimmy has the current ALTA downpipe back exhaust, not the old style ALTA turbo back exhaust. The ALTA downpipe back exhaust will not run an emissions CEL, since it replaces the pipes after the rear O2.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
I believe there was a misunderstanding about the part, looks like Jimmy has the current ALTA downpipe back exhaust, not the old style ALTA turbo back exhaust. The ALTA downpipe back exhaust will not run an emissions CEL, since it replaces the pipes after the rear O2.
Chris, can you address some of the hate Alta is recently getting on the forums right now? I know it's been a long standing grudge from the looks of it, and I have no personal bad beef with you guys, but I plan on ordering some parts from you all in the coming week and want some reassurance.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
Chris, can you address some of the hate Alta is recently getting on the forums right now? I know it's been a long standing grudge from the looks of it, and I have no personal bad beef with you guys, but I plan on ordering some parts from you all in the coming week and want some reassurance.

Sure, I replied to the threads. If you have anything in particular you want to ask me about, send me a PM, thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
correct in that its the downpipe :) thx chris

Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
that is correct. i was mis-stating the model of my exhaust in that it is the downpipe version that extends after the O2 sensor.

Yea, i guess i don't understand this ALTA hate on the forums at times too. it seems like no matter which exhaust post you read, you eventually get a "F%A# ALTA" post. Do these people own or have used ALTA?

Anywho.. I can't wait for my install tomorrow morning and will be posting some vids demoing it. I'll give my honest, OWNER feedback.. So far Alta's supports been great in my experience..

Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
that is correct. i was mis-stating the model of my exhaust in that it is the downpipe version that extends after the O2 sensor.

Yea, i guess i don't understand this ALTA hate on the forums at times too. it seems like no matter which exhaust post you read, you eventually get a "F%A# ALTA" post. Do these people own or have used ALTA?

Anywho.. I can't wait for my install tomorrow morning and will be posting some vids demoing it. I'll give my honest, OWNER feedback.. So far Alta's supports been great in my experience..
The people who are raising their voices have owned Alta products. I have had many of them including the exhaust you're about to buy. Yes, I had the turbo-back version. I have systematically replaced and sold their products from my car.

We're not trying to make you feel bad. A lot of us have been with their R56 since 2007 and know what works and what doesn't. Any major vendor like Detroit Tuned, Way Motor Works, and Helix is going to tell you the same dang thing.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
@countryboyshane ahh, i see. i guess the version i got isn't the turbo-back as i had originally thought and in turn is the jcw 3" downpipe version.

Anywho so far ZERO CELs and love the growl. Its def much louder than i expected but that isn't a bad thing. minor highway drone but then again for me i don't mind.

she is VERY loud when you stomp on it, makes the mustangs a bit more shy now. hehe.. i'll post a gopro vid w/the exhaust note. the shop said they did have to do some work to get it high enough up.

so far am enjoying the very deep tones. notice my pops are nearly as popping but more bass bumping.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear