Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Can't pass smog!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deluded
I can give you guys more details about what's needed to complete a full system readiness status, if you guys want it.

Hello to you, local LB guy!
Please and thank you!

It puts a to see so many in SoCal on NAM.. San Diego

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Deluded
2nd Gear
I forgot how many items are there in the mini cooper, probably around 7.

When you reset all DTC from the cooper, you also wipe the readiness status as well... so everytime you wipe the check engine light, you have to drive the car for about 100 miles or so (actually, 20-25 miles will do the trick, but I've had to drive cars for well over 300 miles to complete the readiness check, so 100 is a good middle ground).

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf

This is a good start. Normally, after 100 miles of mixed driving (by mixed, I mean half street, half freeway. If driving on freeway, keep it at 65 or below. Drive too fast, and the computer will suspend the monitoring until speed drops below 65), you'd have everything done except for the Evaporative vapor recovery.

The evap is the most finicky system monitor to pass. For that, you need to fill up the gas tank anywhere between 50-75% -- and ONLY between that.

Secondly, you'd need to do a cold start -- ie, coolant and engine temps at ambient temp, with gas tank between 50-75%. Then drive for 20-ish miles. Even then, double check.

I can't tell you how many times I've had my smog guy tell me he can't smog my car unless the evap test was completed.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
the tester told me to drive it around also on both street and freeway for a while.. but he still charged me for both fails so im loking for a more sure thing result... anyone ever heard of or used that "Guarantee to Pass" additive from the auto parts store? I guess you mix it with a full tank and it supposed to clean out the shmegma and get your borderline results passed through? I was also recommended that. I read up on it.. It had some say it was helpful. other said it was helpful after they changed spark plugs and oil, ect ect.. basically helpful after a tune up

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikemc
the tester told me to drive it around also on both street and freeway for a while.. but he still charged me for both fails so im loking for a more sure thing result... anyone ever heard of or used that "Guarantee to Pass" additive from the auto parts store? I guess you mix it with a full tank and it supposed to clean out the shmegma and get your borderline results passed through? I was also recommended that. I read up on it.. It had some say it was helpful. other said it was helpful after they changed spark plugs and oil, ect ect.. basically helpful after a tune up
No, they don't really help. What you really need is a catalyst. Those addictives are helpful only if you have a gross polluter car, already have a catalyst and retuned your engine and you STILL fail smog... then yes. Use that.

Basically, those kind of addictives are best used on old cars have difficulty passing smog regardless of their condition. 1988 190E 2.3-16v comes to mind.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
actually got it to pass! after losing more hair took it to my buddy who is a mechanic and also does smog checks..first i reset the maps back to stock, then disconnected the battery for a few minutes (there was no real method for this I just thought I would try it), reconnected everything and with the stock map drove it there to his shop. he cleaned the spark plugs up a bit, opened up the gas door and took the cap off so it didnt pressurize (not sure if that what it does), and rev'd for a few minutes to warm it up more. while on the smog machine he ran it in a higher gear so the boost would fire out (thanks Mike@Tech Division cause I read him your post reply) and then started the smog check. all my levels were at there limit with absolutely no wiggle room but ...it still passed... so i was at the max allowed but it was still a drop from the first 2 smog checks.

THANKYOU TO EVERYONE FOR THERE SUGGESTIONS, I LOVE THIS SITE! LETS MOTOR!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm glad you finally passed. Not sure how it works in CA, but we have inspection every 2 years here in NJ, it's typically just swap your downpipe and pass emissions. Hopefully I don't have to go through what you did.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
I hope not either... And I hope this was just a fluke.. Debating if I should still look for a used one or not. Sucks to have the part just sitting around but it may be worth it...

Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Deluded
2nd Gear
You passed smog with no cats?

I'll bet it was borderline. You're lucky.

Also, definitely source a used cat or DP -- you never know when you'll need it. I see way too many mobile smog stations (the ones that cops pull you over for a mandatory testing) around here to be too comfortable running catless.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Buying a used cat is iffy....make sure the owner NEVER used high octane racing fuel...it is leaded...if they have, the cat is useless....and buying a used cat is technically illegal...
But if it is included cause you are buying a part bolted to it..gives it a,veil of legality.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
rs53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Buying a used cat is iffy....make sure the owner NEVER used high octane racing fuel...it is leaded...if they have, the cat is useless....and buying a used cat is technically illegal...
Not ALL high octane racing fuel is leaded

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
Yup, here are the stats with the after market DP

Attached Thumbnails Can't pass smog!!-20130514_203217.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mikemc
Yup, here are the stats with the after market DP
The beauty of ULEV vehicles.

Suck on that to all you tree hugging hipsters...catless car legitimately passed smog in the toughest state in the country!

Congrats mikemc lol

Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Haha thats awesome

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using NAMotoring

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
mikemc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
The beauty of ULEV vehicles.

Suck on that to all you tree hugging hipsters...catless car legitimately passed smog in the toughest state in the country!

Congrats mikemc lol