Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What Clutch to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
twintert
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Clutch to get?

I'm starting to notice a little bit of clutch slip in 1st gear going from complete stop to go. I've been looking at thread's and can't come up with what's the best way to go.... I want opinions. What kind of flywheel, what type of disk, brands, etc.? It's my daily driver that see's a little action periodically but is what I use to get to work and other places. Mods are listed in my signature

Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put another stock clutch in it.
Its not worth the trouble something after market will give you.
Only thing i would recommend im sure you would not want to pay for.....
the OS gikens are expensive.
While you pull the trans down consider putting a Limited slip in.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Ditto, with your mods & the fact that this one has apparently lasted so long, stick with the Stock or Valeo replacement.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to upgrade use a Spec stage 3 and light weight aluminum flywheel. 878.00 plus shipping. Call us to order, we dont have Spec on our site yet. The reason for the stage 3 is stage 2 is the same price so why not get the better one.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Disagree with SneedSpeed. For a daily driver the only thing that is going to happen with an uprated clutch is that you will have a clutch which is heavier and has a quick bite. For your car, it is best to stick with stock. I dropped a Luk kit in but have heard Valeo is also a great setup for a daily and the price is right.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Not to mention two people i know have run the spec clutches and both have told me they are a complete pile of garbage.
Have you installed any of these kits, how are your customers fairing...
Competition Clutch also had problems on multiple customer cars....
As has ClutchMasters.
Honestly I would set my car on fire before i put a Clutchmasters in it.
They are without question aweful. they constantly fail, chatter, bang and shoot the damper springs out of them. And when they do fail, Clutchmasters will not warranty them.
I have only had one problem with OS giken, and it was related to a diff.
I took it to them, they took it apart on the spot said they could not find anythign wrong with it but they gave me a new one anyway.
consider that when buying parts, its also the customer service.
OS builds their clutches out of billet. They are as high quality as they come.
A good friend has 80K on his in philly. still works as well as the day he bought it.
And his was a prototype model...
What do I have for my car An OS GT. Slightly more grabby than stock but completely manageable.
however, my car made 271 on a bone stock clutch and flywheel and it held just fine.
In fact its still in my car.... 97k on it.
Don't waste your money on a fancy clutch because you think you need it, you just don't. all you will be doing is making yourself unhappy with how the car drives.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
The light weight flywheel will make your car quicker, about 2 tenths on an 1/8 mile drag strip than the stock flywheel. The clutch is really up to you. We have installed most of the brands. The stock clutches hold up fine for non track use most of the time. If you do upgrade go to stage 3. Stage 2 is not worth the money. Your master cylinder will not be damaged by a stage 3 clutch. I also did the beta testing for Exedy before they released their MINI street clutches. They are very good but are on the expensive side for stock clutches.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
SneedSpeed
Former Vendor
We have used the OS giken clutches to and they are very good but pricey.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iam also torn as my stock clutch is slipping as well (150k). I do plan on many upgrades to the car ex. RMW BVH,RMW cams, 450 injectors,RMW headers and a tune. I was told to use the stock clutch, as it would hold the power. I was thinking about the OS giken,because I wouldn't want to do a job 2x after the modifications. Any thoughts?

Good$$Mendez

Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I would say stock matains good drivabilty for 90% of folks....
The os giken is beautiful, but kinda $$, but if cost is no object...
use a street clutch for a street car...no need to go to stage clutches and chattering lightweighr flywheel that make stop and go traffic or starting on hills hell on earth imo....
simply put, the cluch on a stick car is such a big part of the driving experance, if you like it, stick with it. A soldid flywheel can save a few $$, but for the $$, many folks are less than happy with the results...same for lightweght flywheels..and some aluminum ones chatter tons on engagement....
Sneed speed is imo a great vendor, lots of diy's, but from your first post, i gather you are 90% daily driver, and 10% fun....and folks do RACE on a stock clutch, and they hold for about 250 hp, and seem to last longer than most of the aftermarket ones....
for me, longevity, and the quality of the driving experance matters more than shaving a tenth of a seconf off a lap time....not true for a track junkie, but my car is a daily driver i like to have fun, so unless i suddenly get flush witg cash and can get the os giken, the stock will be the way to go...if $$ was a MAJOR concern, a solid flywheel can save some $$, but remember, it is a choice that you have to live with for a few years....why downgrade a stock compotent to WORSE than oem? OEM or better is usually the way to go for an "UPGRADE".

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
As I have said before, Do not pull the trans down without seriously trying to find some way to make sure you have a LSD in there.
If you do already great, if not you need one.
Chico, Do you have any plans on putting more power into the car? IF so plan for that if not. stock it is.
I don't think a light flywheel will help anything other than rev matching downshifts.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
daflake
6th Gear
If the stock clutch can hold the power, then what is the point in upgrading? Seriously, off all the mods you can do, the clutch is really the last item you need to touch. There isn't much you can do to a MINI with strap on parts that is going to over power the clutch kit. You would simply be wasting money.

For a daily driver and even a AutoX/occasional track car, there really is no need to waste your money on it. Now, if you want to **** it away, by all means have at it!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
^ That.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
If the stock clutch can hold the power, then what is the point in upgrading? Seriously, off all the mods you can do, the clutch is really the last item you need to touch. There isn't much you can do to a MINI with strap on parts that is going to over power the clutch kit. You would simply be wasting money.

For a daily driver and even a AutoX/occasional track car, there really is no need to waste your money on it. Now, if you want to **** it away, by all means have at it!
well said...
Many a nice car has been ruined by putting in a overally stiff, grabby clutch that can make a person hate driving it, and even harder to sell used!!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ColinGreene
As I have said before, Do not pull the trans down without seriously trying to find some way to make sure you have a LSD in there.
One more straw breaking the camel's back pushing me to get a LSD...

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Seriously if you have it appart why would you not.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Naw... My clutch is only 20k old and in fine shape. I just want to control my front wheels after the tune!

Last edited by Melangell; 02-21-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: 20k not 29k
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I test drove a used WRX that was clean, quick, and very appealing... except for the awful aftermarket clutch the previous owner had installed. It was insanely heavy and had almost no friction zone. It was on or off. It was terrible to drive.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
well said...
Many a nice car has been ruined by putting in a overally stiff, grabby clutch that can make a person hate driving it, and even harder to sell used!!