Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dynomat info

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynomat info

Hey the rattling in my car is killing me so i was wondering how much dyno mat would help out? And how much installation would cost for it?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
Hey the rattling in my car is killing me so i was wondering how much dyno mat would help out? And how much installation would cost for it?
What is rattling?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Doors

Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Get it fixed under warranty...? Why pay for something and add weight to the car when you don't have to? Unless you have some ghetto blaster sound system...

I've had friends get their whole cars bought back simply for rattles lol

Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
well it only well its not a rattle its just like the plastic hitting and it happens when my exhaust goes around 3000 rpm or when i have my hk turned up to about 4/6ths of the way up. ive brought it to the dealer 3 times now for it and they claim not to hear it

Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Dynamat may help - probably would help

it is not cheap - you pay by the square foot. If buying for DIY the more you buy the less $ per sq foot (maybe - if you can find bulk vs pre-packaged sheets)

Installation is going to also be by the square foot plus hourly with the hourly covering how much disassembly is required. If you want to line the doors, the door must be taken apart and then do you want a 'patch' or a full lining? (most of the time a patch works)

Take a look at EASTWOOD.COM and you can get an idea of prices for standard Dynamat 'kits' and also some less expensive knockoff products. And, check out a local auto sound shop or two cuz these are the folks that do this sort of work.

http://www.eastwood.com/xtrm-dynamat...-12-sq-ft.html - 1 door's materials $110 . . .

also note that Dynamat makes a few different materials but I'm guessing you are thinking of their 'extreme'

I put Dynamat in parts of my Mini (vs my MINI - I adhere to correct nomenclature) when I redid the interior and I'm very very happy with the results but the downsides are cost and WEIGHT

If you have not yet, I suggest you read up on Dynamat . . . .

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its like you read my mind, I have been thinking about some using some type of dynamat material myself. I have a new 2011 and havent done a thing to it. It came with rattles and I told the dealer about it and they said thats how the car is and people always complain.

I know when I had my last car people used something called "raamat" (just google it and you will see) and they did the install by themselves. If you were just doing the door, which is where most of the rattle comes from in the MINI, then it shouldnt be that expensive or difficult.

Just like you Achilles, I was wondering if any MINI people have done something similar and maybe have a writeup or preferred product or something.

Personally I will take a little more weight in the car to stop rattle with the HK during songs with deep bass, and when I just want peace and quiet on the way home but the annoying rattling is going on.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Dynamat may help - probably would help

it is not cheap - you pay by the square foot. If buying for DIY the more you buy the less $ per sq foot (maybe - if you can find bulk vs pre-packaged sheets)

Installation is going to also be by the square foot plus hourly with the hourly covering how much disassembly is required. If you want to line the doors, the door must be taken apart and then do you want a 'patch' or a full lining? (most of the time a patch works)

Take a look at EASTWOOD.COM and you can get an idea of prices for standard Dynamat 'kits' and also some less expensive knockoff products. And, check out a local auto sound shop or two cuz these are the folks that do this sort of work.

http://www.eastwood.com/xtrm-dynamat...-12-sq-ft.html - 1 door's materials $110 . . .

also note that Dynamat makes a few different materials but I'm guessing you are thinking of their 'extreme'

I put Dynamat in parts of my Mini (vs my MINI - I adhere to correct nomenclature) when I redid the interior and I'm very very happy with the results but the downsides are cost and WEIGHT

If you have not yet, I suggest you read up on Dynamat . . . .
thanks alot ive deff been doing some research on it. im mostly looking at the alternatives cause dynomat is a costly product

Originally Posted by joyride305
Its like you read my mind, I have been thinking about some using some type of dynamat material myself. I have a new 2011 and havent done a thing to it. It came with rattles and I told the dealer about it and they said thats how the car is and people always complain.

I know when I had my last car people used something called "raamat" (just google it and you will see) and they did the install by themselves. If you were just doing the door, which is where most of the rattle comes from in the MINI, then it shouldnt be that expensive or difficult.

Just like you Achilles, I was wondering if any MINI people have done something similar and maybe have a writeup or preferred product or something.

Personally I will take a little more weight in the car to stop rattle with the HK during songs with deep bass, and when I just want peace and quiet on the way home but the annoying rattling is going on.
yeah, honestly they just need to tape off the cotact points in the door from the get go so they dont get us complaining about the rattling all the time

and its not really a rattle it is more like a hum from that plastic door panel's contact points hitting.. you can kind of hear it in this vid i made coming home from work
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4582860...in/photostream

Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM
gds194
4th Gear
I install Hushmat in the back of the R56 when installing the SUB, awesome stuff as it really cut the noise from the aftermarket exhaust. Would recommend to anyone. I also have material left over.....

Attached Thumbnails Dynomat info-p1010854.jpg   Dynomat info-p1010855.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gds194
I install Hushmat in the back of the R56 when installing the SUB, awesome stuff as it really cut the noise from the aftermarket exhaust. Would recommend to anyone. I also have material left over.....
did you delete the seats or did you throw them back on and do you have a pic of your sub installation? i would love to see it

Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
yeah, honestly they just need to tape off the cotact points in the door from the get go so they dont get us complaining about the rattling all the time

and its not really a rattle it is more like a hum from that plastic door panel's contact points hitting.. you can kind of hear it in this vid i made coming home from work
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4582860...in/photostream
I kinda hear it in the video, its the same with mine. It really annoys me when I play music though. Are these doors hard to take apart? Im sure I could figure it out one they are off.

Also the Ensolite and Raamat seem pretty reasonable in price. Probably a good weekend project, ill keep looking for that writeup. If not ill make one

Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Here ya go... The sub floor is set to the same height as the seat back when they are laid down. Let me know if you are interested in the Hushmat, I have a good connection to buy from.

Attached Thumbnails Dynomat info-p1010856.jpg   Dynomat info-p1010987.jpg   Dynomat info-p1010986.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Here ya go... The sub floor is set to the same height as the seat back when they are laid down. Let me know if you are interested in the Hushmat, I have a good connection to buy from.
is that that $800 sub that made for the mini?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Yes, the set up from Integral Audio.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
I've dynamatted the whole car, drone does not get reduced, but road noise does. putting it around speaker enclosures does wonders with music too (its intended purpose). I even lined hollow areas prone for drone/noise amplifying with a closed cell carpet padding, with little to no success with drone.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM
gds194
4th Gear
Hey Sooper, who's exhaust are you using to give you the killer drone? Is it worse at 2800-3K/75mph?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Hey Sooper, who's exhaust are you using to give you the killer drone? Is it worse at 2800-3K/75mph?
He has a catless Riss DP w/ a custom Magnaflow

Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM
jlasersmith
1st Gear
As a dynamat alternative try using "silver seal" they sell it in all the home improvement stores in the roofing section. I lined my entire interior with the stuff(doors,under the rear seats, rear pannels inside and outside the speaker holes, under the passenger seat where my amp is). It is rubber asphalt with a metal backing that dynamat and the others are made of. Only like $15 per roll. one roll was more than enough to do my whole interior. This is now the 3rd car of mine that I have done this way. Sorry I dont have any pics. I have polk 6x9's and polk 6.5's amped with a 300 watt crossfire amp. The bass is deep and clean enough that I feel no need for a sub. I had stock h/k and it was horrible, no mids and the bass was super muddy.

Last edited by jlasersmith; 12-15-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add some stuff.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
want to post up some pics of the speakers and where you bought them from

Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jlasersmith
As a dynamat alternative try using "silver seal" they sell it in all the home improvement stores in the roofing section. I lined my entire interior with the stuff(doors,under the rear seats, rear pannels inside and outside the speaker holes, under the passenger seat where my amp is). It is rubber asphalt with a metal backing that dynamat and the others are made of. Only like $15 per roll. one roll was more than enough to do my whole interior. This is now the 3rd car of mine that I have done this way. Sorry I dont have any pics. I have polk 6x9's and polk 6.5's amped with a 300 watt crossfire amp. The bass is deep and clean enough that I feel no need for a sub. I had stock h/k and it was horrible, no mids and the bass was super muddy.
Good thing buffalo is cold. How hot does it get in the summer? That asphalt/tar melts in the hot summer heat (car surfaces gets up to 140+F in new England) and can cause a huge mess. Just sayin. One pack for $133 of dynamat on amazon was more than enough for the whole car for me.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
He has a catless Riss DP w/ a custom Magnaflow
Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 AM
jlasersmith
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
Good thing buffalo is cold. How hot does it get in the summer? That asphalt/tar melts in the hot summer heat (car surfaces gets up to 140+F in new England) and can cause a huge mess. Just sayin. One pack for $133 of dynamat on amazon was more than enough for the whole car for me.
It isnt really cold here in the summer. It actually is about the same as your weather maybe even a little warmer. My car(s) have been out in the sun on 100+ deg days and have had no issues with melting or odor.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Thats good. Have you pulled back the panels to look in the summer? I hear horror stories of that stuff melting and pooling under their carpet padding on the floor boards

Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 AM
jlasersmith
1st Gear
here are a couple of pics of the polk 6.5's in the front doors. I didn't take any pics of the rears because they fit into the stock holes and are not visible. I also don't have any pics of the amp because it is under the passenger seat and I forgot to take pics during the install.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM
jlasersmith
1st Gear
Yes I have looked and no melting at all. The stuff Is designed to withstand heat and sun. It was made to go on your roof. I have used it there too and also have had no issues with melting.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dynomat info