Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DoS CAI Installed. Truly Impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
seepw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DoS CAI Installed. Truly Impressed!

Well, subject of this thread says it all.

After sending several e-mails to Clint @ Defendors of Speed I finally placed my order for the CAI they offer.

Customer service was excellent. Clint responded to my questions quickly and professionally. (Even on a Sunday).

Product arrived well packaged and had great instructions e-mailed directly to me.

I am stationed in Germany and my local Mini dealer stated if they installed the part they would warranty the work so I had them do it. The Master Tech of the Dept made it a point to greet meet when I wen't to pick up the car and stated that he was very impressed with the fit and finish of the system. Keep in mind, this comming from a German Mechanic is not common and I have lived here for 17 years.

I now have a beautiful sound resonating from my hood and my butt Dyno can feel some improvment in throttle response through the ranges. This thing makes some really evil sounds when on the Autobahn lol. Had it at 145 mph last night and the sound was just beautiful.

Anyway, long story short. Could not be more pleased with the product and service I have received. Clint was excellent and they have my future business guaranteed.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. As expected. Clint offers the best customer service.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
I've had my DoS CAI for over a year now and am loving it, too. You ain't wrong about dealing with Clint. He's good folks. Sounds like you enjoy that Darth Vader death rattle when the diverter valve actuates. Me, too!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:17 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
does anybody know what sort of numbers, HP, it put's up... I have a typhoon but it doesn't like hot days!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
DoS claims a 6-12 WHP/WTQ increase depending on engine mods. I tend to believe them, but suspect a lot of the power gain comes from reduced intake air temps. Their claim of better throttle response I fully agree with. The turbo seems to spool faster, too.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
i just might get one. I have my stock on right now due to these warmer temps 100+. hmmmm.........

Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
hey dwight which LSD do you have?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by leomulhollandiii
hey dwight which LSD do you have?
OEM and it's still working after many mods and 50K.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
i thought you had an aftermarket... was also thinking about one of those as well... so many things to do!!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Originally Posted by seepw
Well, subject of this thread says it all.

After sending several e-mails to Clint @ Defendors of Speed I finally placed my order for the CAI they offer.

Customer service was excellent. Clint responded to my questions quickly and professionally. (Even on a Sunday).

Product arrived well packaged and had great instructions e-mailed directly to me.

I am stationed in Germany and my local Mini dealer stated if they installed the part they would warranty the work so I had them do it. The Master Tech of the Dept made it a point to greet meet when I wen't to pick up the car and stated that he was very impressed with the fit and finish of the system. Keep in mind, this comming from a German Mechanic is not common and I have lived here for 17 years.

I now have a beautiful sound resonating from my hood and my butt Dyno can feel some improvment in throttle response through the ranges. This thing makes some really evil sounds when on the Autobahn lol. Had it at 145 mph last night and the sound was just beautiful.

Anyway, long story short. Could not be more pleased with the product and service I have received. Clint was excellent and they have my future business guaranteed.

Did you have a stock cooper S or a JCW? I really want one of these for the sounds but after all I have read I am worried I could loose power over my JCW stage 1 intake.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 AM
seepw
1st Gear
I just have an "S" version. I am not to familiar with the JCW st up but since the intake still utilizes the factory intake + the additonal flow from the cowl I can't imagine how airflow would be less than over stock set up but like I said, with my limited knowledge of the JCW I am not of much help.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 AM
etalj
6th Gear
S+JCW (aka stage 1) actually has a different intake, whereas the factory JCW (aka stage 2) has the standard MCS air intake.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Clint IS the man!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
seepw, thank you for the high praise!

If anyone is looking for a deal on a CAI ($275 instead of $310), there are two spots left in the current group buy on NAM.

Have a great weekend, Y'all!

-Clint

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by turtle343
Did you have a stock cooper S or a JCW? I really want one of these for the sounds but after all I have read I am worried I could loose power over my JCW stage 1 intake.
If you have a JCW Stage 1 intake...stick with it. You will see very limited if any performance increase by going away from a JCW S1 intake. If you want the sound of your blow off valve, then go with DOS or an open box intake. The JCW S1 and DOS are still truly cold air intakes and are still the best performance, anything else only breathes hot air from your engine. JCW S1 is the only CAI that uses a dry cone filter. All others use oiled filters that "can" cause MAF issues and void warranties.

IMO, JCW Stage 1...best bang for the buck, warrantee, dry filter and great performance.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Clint is coming out with a dry cone filter for his CAI soon.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM
seepw
1st Gear
Hhmm, will this be a simple, unbolt the current bolts, open the housing and drop in the dry filter?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by seepw
Hhmm, will this be a simple, unbolt the current bolts, open the housing and drop in the dry filter?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell
If you have a JCW Stage 1 intake...stick with it. You will see very limited if any performance increase by going away from a JCW S1 intake. If you want the sound of your blow off valve, then go with DOS or an open box intake. The JCW S1 and DOS are still truly cold air intakes and are still the best performance, anything else only breathes hot air from your engine. JCW S1 is the only CAI that uses a dry cone filter. All others use oiled filters that "can" cause MAF issues and void warranties.

IMO, JCW Stage 1...best bang for the buck, warrantee, dry filter and great performance.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM
gelinas
1st Gear
Can anyone comment on the mpg impact the DoS CAI presents?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gelinas
Can anyone comment on the mpg impact the DoS CAI presents?
I've had the Dos CAI for 20K now and have seen no change in mpg for all types of driving.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM
gelinas
1st Gear
Are instructions for how to install this intake available online somewhere? I'm strongly considering it, but did not see any on the Dos website.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini'mon

how far away is this?!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM
seepw
1st Gear
I travel at autobahn speeds back and fourth to work daily. I have not noticed any difference in the mpg I am getting now with the CAI.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gelinas
Are instructions for how to install this intake available online somewhere? I'm strongly considering it, but did not see any on the Dos website.
I got my instructions online somewhere ahead of time, but can't remember where. I'll bet if you call Clint (404-433-2452) he'll email you some. The instructions are clear and concise, but install ain't exactly easy. An extra pair of hands is a big help!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DoS CAI Installed. Truly Impressed!