Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Who else does tuning on R56?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who else does tuning on R56?

Does anyone know who else tunes the R56 other than Alta or RMW?

I have both the Dimsport and the Accessport. Right now I prefer Jan’s tune on my car but after 4 months of chasing him down and still have a CEL light on, I’m done begging to get my ******’ car fixed.

So who else works with either the Dimsport unit or Accessport. I’ve found someone that will take the time to fix my problem but they can’t do it for a a little while so I thought I’d ask here.

I may just have to wait for a month or so but hell, I’ve been chasing down a correct tune since I wrecked my car last year so I don’t see how another month is going to make a difference.

If you know of anyone, let me know...

Thanks,

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe WAY Motor Works tunes with Dimsport. You could also contact PTorque in the UK, not sure if they can remote tune but worth a shot.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Thanks KF, much appreciated...

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
akng
3rd Gear
From the readings on this forum, it seems Jan is always too busy to deal with his customers. But what about ALTA? I thought they have excellent customer service in this area?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Paul Webster
Banned
Evolve in the UK are having great success with there Japanese track customers

Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by akng
From the readings on this forum, it seems Jan is always too busy to deal with his customers. But what about ALTA? I thought they have excellent customer service in this area?
Alta does have excellent customer service. When I was at the track last year, Jeff emailed me a minimum of 4-5 different maps over a weekend to try out.

Jan’s tunes tend to be more aggressive which is what I wanted to stay with. I’m glad Jan is busy, that’s great for him but I can’t keep begging to get my problems fixed.

I’ve got other people that will fix it, I’ll just have to go that route.

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Would ALTA be able to take the map you have from Jan and clear the CEL?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Would ALTA be able to take the map you have from Jan and clear the CEL?
Yeah but I can’t get the tune to Alta because in order to do that, I have to install a Alta tune and it will save the present tune.

The problem is since I had the ECM reflashed, the serial number in the vin is changed (or version number) and it doesn’t allow me to install any Alta tune.

I’ve got a couple of people working on it already just from this morning. I’ll get something fixed soon.

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Mike and Jason at http://www.abftechdivision.com/index.html

are very good.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Alta does have excellent customer service. When I was at the track last year, Jeff emailed me a minimum of 4-5 different maps over a weekend to try out.

Jan’s tunes tend to be more aggressive which is what I wanted to stay with. I’m glad Jan is busy, that’s great for him but I can’t keep begging to get my problems fixed.

I’ve got other people that will fix it, I’ll just have to go that route.

Mark
So can I take it that the ALTA Tune is weaker, but have absolutely no CEL, but Jan's Tune is stronger, but comes with CEL sometimes?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by akng
So can I take it that the ALTA Tune is weaker, but have absolutely no CEL, but Jan's Tune is stronger, but comes with CEL sometimes?
Alta’s tunes tend to be more conservative. I don’t like the term weaker because it insinuates they’re just not up to it.

They WORK, I assure you, their tune just isn’t quite as aggressive as Jans.

Let me make sure one thing is clear. Jan’s tune DID NOT make my CEL come on. When the dealer reflashed my ECM for a powersteering unit (there was an update to remove torque steer from the factory) I got a CEL from ECM telling me I was getting a converter CEL.

When I installed Jan’s tune, I still have the CEL. I just needed Jan’s help removing it. Apparently he is too busy to deal with me so I am forced to look elsewhere for help.

I just want to be clear that Jan’s tune DOES or DID NOT cause my CEL. I have run Jan’s tune for 26K miles with NO CEL’s.

Now, if you could get Jan’s tune on the AP (cause he sells both AP and Dimsport) you could have your cake and eat it too.

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
UMMM......just finished off some new mods and texted Jan this evening asking when he could do a remote tune for me to dial it in. Within five minutes my phone rang and it was Jan, said if I could get on the dyno tommorrow he would be happy to do it then! Three weeks ago my IC blew a hole in it at Road Atlanta and he spent tons of time on the phone with me trying to help find the problem; even contacting a pro in the area to come over free of charge and help me out, 200 miles from home! All typical of the kind of service I have received from Jan and RMW from day one!!

Good luck....

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
UMMM......just finished off some new mods and texted Jan this evening asking when he could do a remote tune for me to dial it in. Within five minutes my phone rang and it was Jan, said if I could get on the dyno tommorrow he would be happy to do it then! Three weeks ago my IC blew a hole in it at Road Atlanta and he spent tons of time on the phone with me trying to help me find the problem; even contacting a pro in the area to come over free of charge and help me out, 200 miles from home! All typical of the kind of service I have received from Jan and RMW from day one!!

Good luck....
I wish I could say the same. I’m not going to bad-mouth Jan, he’s just too busy to keep up with his customers. I have had him contact me 3-4 times in the last 3-4 months.

I gave up, I’m not going to beg for help.

On to good news. I received 3-4 PM’s from different people. I managed to get my problem fixed by using the AP tool. I’m now working on getting a more aggressive tune similar to Jan’s tune using the AP tool. It’s amazing, it’s Sunday night and Cobb support gave me the answers and files I needed during off business hours.

If I can get the same type of tune (aggressiveness wise) from AP as Jan’s tune, I’d rather use the AP anyways, the tool itself is more useful.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Mark

Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I was going to suggest Cobb since they actually make the AP tool. There's a Cobb in Dallas and they're going to begin offering custom tunes for the MINI soon from what I've heard. Hopefully sooner than later.

Cobb may also be a good source for tunes for those that are close to one.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
I wish I could say the same. I’m not going to bad-mouth Jan, he’s just too busy to keep up with his customers. I have had him contact me 3-4 times in the last 3-4 months.

I gave up, I’m not going to beg for help.

On to good news. I received 3-4 PM’s from different people. I managed to get my problem fixed by using the AP tool. I’m now working on getting a more aggressive tune similar to Jan’s tune using the AP tool. It’s amazing, it’s Sunday night and Cobb support gave me the answers and files I needed during off business hours.

If I can get the same type of tune (aggressiveness wise) from AP as Jan’s tune, I’d rather use the AP anyways, the tool itself is more useful.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Mark

Im looking for the same thing from the accessport I love it so far but I just need it stronger, I wana stay with Alta because the service Is great I just want more power! Let me know when you get a more aggressive tune for your accessport

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
maroonbug
2nd Gear
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your story. I feel you.

Jan couldn't come up with a tune for my UK spec-ed MCS R56 as well, somehow it didn't work. Took a shitty 2 months or so to get things done, couldn't achieve anything in the end.

Got a refund but had to pay $150 as he say he needed to unlock the tool, which sucked! Less money less mods for my MINI!

Wished ALTA could do the UK Spec-ed cars.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maroonbug
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your story. I feel you.

Jan couldn't come up with a tune for my UK spec-ed MCS R56 as well, somehow it didn't work. Took a shitty 2 months or so to get things done, couldn't achieve anything in the end.

Got a refund but had to pay $150 as he say he needed to unlock the tool, which sucked! Less money less mods for my MINI!

Wished ALTA could do the UK Spec-ed cars.
I have no hard feelings towards Jan, unfortunately, if you’re not part of that special crew to get something done, it seems he’s always too busy for me.

But alas, all is well, I got 3 maps emailed early this morning from Alta... no CEL lights... and from what I can tell from the butt dyno, they’re pretty damn close performance-wise.

I’d check with Cobb and see if they can do anything with the UK spec’d cars.

Mark

Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
maroonbug
2nd Gear
I have no hard feelings towards Jan, unfortunately, if you’re not part of that special crew to get something done, it seems he’s always too busy for me.

But alas, all is well, I got 3 maps emailed early this morning from Alta... no CEL lights... and from what I can tell from the butt dyno, they’re pretty damn close performance-wise.

I’d check with Cobb and see if they can do anything with the UK spec’d cars.

Mark
Great to hear that. Thankfully my ALTA downpipe isn't giving any CEL issues, just hope to find a tuner now as I have all the hardware in place.

Please let me know if they do. Cheers

Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Mark,

Not to get too far off-topic, but can you provide a list of your mods and how much peak boost you are running right now? How much whp does it feel like?

I heard a rumor about a certain JCW in Orlando (which you may already know about) that's producing about 300 whp with a bunch of mods and 28 psi boost with AP tune. Don't know if this is true or not!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Alta’s tunes tend to be more conservative. I don’t like the term weaker because it insinuates they’re just not up to it.

They WORK, I assure you, their tune just isn’t quite as aggressive as Jans.

Let me make sure one thing is clear. Jan’s tune DID NOT make my CEL come on. When the dealer reflashed my ECM for a powersteering unit (there was an update to remove torque steer from the factory) I got a CEL from ECM telling me I was getting a converter CEL.

When I installed Jan’s tune, I still have the CEL. I just needed Jan’s help removing it. Apparently he is too busy to deal with me so I am forced to look elsewhere for help.

I just want to be clear that Jan’s tune DOES or DID NOT cause my CEL. I have run Jan’s tune for 26K miles with NO CEL’s.

Now, if you could get Jan’s tune on the AP (cause he sells both AP and Dimsport) you could have your cake and eat it too.

Mark
This is exactly what I am getting in about a week and half!, the AP and an RMW tune... pretty excited, good to hear no CEL's. I hope you get your problem sorted out ASAP

Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by uzun
Mark,

Not to get too far off-topic, but can you provide a list of your mods and how much peak boost you are running right now? How much whp does it feel like?

I heard a rumor about a certain JCW in Orlando (which you may already know about) that's producing about 300 whp with a bunch of mods and 28 psi boost with AP tune. Don't know if this is true or not!
Are his initials JD??

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Are his initials JD??
Yes indeed!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
When my car got updated by the dealer, Jan helped me reset my dimsport to pull the new stock file within an hour of me emailing him. He even called me and waiting for me to run out to the car and plug the thing in to pull the rolling reset code. Had an updated tune within a few hours.

Maybe you just need to clear the CEL and get a new tune made up by him? If you have the Alta map running to your liking now, I'd probably just stick with that. I'd guess Alta is using variants of Jan's tune anyways.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Any more info on this car? Sounds like it's some kind of secret or something?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark,

I’m running 23lbs of boost with Alta tune. (I have other tunes but that’s the one that feels the best for smooth drivability)

I can’t tell you HP wise without a dyno but from past experience, I’d say between 230-250 rwhp depending on tune.

My mods are simple.

Forge intercooler
tune
JCW CAI
hotside boost tube
downpipe with full exhaust

Hope that answers your question.

Originally Posted by thevelourfog
When my car got updated by the dealer, Jan helped me reset my dimsport to pull the new stock file within an hour of me emailing him. He even called me and waiting for me to run out to the car and plug the thing in to pull the rolling reset code. Had an updated tune within a few hours.

Just to be clear, this thread has zero to do with bashing Jan or his company. Jan does good work, I was happy with his tune, I had some issues and apparently he’s too busy to fix them for me. I feel after a certain amount of time, I have to say screw it, I’ll find someone who will fix it.

When Jan does have the time, he puts forth a great effort. There are a few lucky ones that have been working with him long enough that when they have a problem, he jumps right on it. I unfortunately am not part of that clique.

This thread was to find someone that could fix my problem. I’d like to drive my car without a CEL and I’m glad Jan is busy, it just doesn’t help my problem.

Mark

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Who else does tuning on R56?