Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GIAC reflash vs JCW reflash on MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GIAC reflash vs JCW reflash on MCS?

hey guys i read somewhere on here that on a MCS with a pulley, basic bolt ons and JCW injectors that the JCW reflash does about as good of a job as the GIAC reflash... is this really true and can anyone back this up?

reason im asking is i dont feel like spending $700 bucks for a remote tune and isnt the JCW reflash fairly cheap when compared to the GIAC reflash?

i dont need to make the most hp but rather the biggest bang for the buck.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since you don't have the slightly ported jcw head, I say get the GIAC flash..but for about the same price you can get a custom tune at a Dino/tune party if/when a tuner is around.
The jcw tune had a pretty good reputation, but I think the GIAC tune is likely a better match!!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better choices than the GIAC anyway. Jan looked over the tune on my car (GIAC) and said it was way lean. I would go for a JCW, or for the $700 have a more personalized tune...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
PS the jcw reflash is not nesscarily avalable...a few folks have talked their way into it with a helpful dealer....
A tune runs about $350 plus $100 for the Dino for a r53...are you within a days driving distance to a tune party in spring, or even a place like WMW that does tunes, or "quick tunes" which are canned, Dinoless tunes like the GIAC ones...either way, you need to get the car to a place to get the tune loaded...
I guess you could ship your ecu...just insure it, and pray, they are $$$$ to replace.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
Better choices than the GIAC anyway. Jan looked over the tune on my car (GIAC) and said it was way lean. I would go for a JCW, or for the $700 have a more personalized tune...
I haven't head that...but with a canned tune, they are only as good as the "profile match" for bolt on's...flow more air, you get leaner!! I have also heard that Mini Maddness is crazy lean in one of their stage kits which include a reflash....

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
thanks for the input so far guys keep it coming. i would get a costume tune but i really don't want to depend on weather or not a good tuner is to come to my area (NE/RI) any time soon.

does anyone know the price for the dealership to flash the jcw program?

thanks again

Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Last years tune was in Norwich CT...was 3 full days, sucessfuly enough, it might happen again....

Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Last years tune was in Norwich CT...was 3 full days, sucessfuly enough, it might happen again....

yeah i know there was one last year in CT but i cant really be depending on it happening again... unless jan would like to chime in and promise that it will lol

Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I'm in for a dyno tune. I want to upgrade injectors and then fine tune it.

As far as my experience with the GIAC (it was on the car when I got it). The power was impressive, but it came on late and was really all top RPM. The Jan tune is much, much smoother. Before 6th gear was useless except for down hill it seemed, now it will pull and pass very respectfully. Boost is much earlier and I hit the rev-limiter often since there is no hint to shift. It just keeps pulling. My tune was remote tune based on my equipment and I just have had his first tune installed. I bet there is more to go, but I don't want to waste time without a dyno and Jan in the same room. I'm really happy with how it is now.

My mini buddy (salesperson) almost hurt his face driving my car from smiling. I asked "is it like a JCW?" He said "@&#$ no, this is some skunk works voodoo!" He couldn't help being so happy whipping the snot out of it and remarking on the range of power etc. He is a believer.

Last edited by HRM; 12-19-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We can send you a remote tune that would be alot better than a GIAC tune. The GIAC only changes timing and the rev limiter. We have the ability to change the throttle, torque, injector, timing, fuel, rpm, and more maps to give you a good and reliable tune.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Only way you can have a JCW 210 hp software upgrade with the injectors and airbox is if you already have the JCW Stage 1 kit and serial number.

The kit you are speaking of does not come with any software disk. So absent spending the some $4,500.00 for the stage 1 kit, then another $650.00 for the upgraded airbox and injectors, your only option is a custom tune.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We can send you a remote tune that would be alot better than a GIAC tune. The GIAC only changes timing and the rev limiter. We have the ability to change the throttle, torque, injector, timing, fuel, rpm, and more maps to give you a good and reliable tune.
yeah but isnt that still like $700 bucks lol

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Only way you can have a JCW 210 hp software upgrade with the injectors and airbox is if you already have the JCW Stage 1 kit and serial number.
then how come ive read of quite a lot of MCS owners have got a JCW tune with out the kit from there dealership lol

Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
JCW software sounds like what you are looking for, an inexpenive way to add some horsepower. As everyone has made it very clear and you know, custom tuning is the best tuning option. But for your situation go for the JCW software. It is less expensive than GIAC and gives around the same power gains. Just make sure to have a pulley, injectors, and maybe an aftermarket intake before you get the software. I thought I read somewhere awhile back that some dealers will install the software for a relatively inexpensive price. I know for a fact you dont have to have the JCW powerkit to get the software.

Last edited by drsilvermini; 12-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
hunter99
4th Gear

The kit you are speaking of does not come with any software disk. So absent spending the some $4,500.00 for the stage 1 kit, then another $650.00 for the upgraded airbox and injectors, your only option is a custom tune.
My service dept. offered it to me without me asking. $200 and hour of time.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear

As others have stated, the JCW software was very commonly offered and installed by some dealers, even if you had a bone-stock car, for very small fees (I've heard anywhere between $0 - $300, but most commonly between $150-$200). I had it on my car a couple of years ago when I installed the JCW injectors and I'd say it offered minimal gains if you don't have the JCW head that goes along with it, this is assuming you already have a s/c reduction pulley installed. I had the car custom tuned on top of the JCW software and gained 20 hp, so it is fair to say that I would spend the extra cash (if you have it) on a custom or remote tune.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hunter99
My service dept. offered it to me without me asking. $200 and hour of time.
thats a bit expensive .. might as well get GIAC at that price lol

Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by unxpectederror
thats a bit expensive .. might as well get GIAC at that price lol
Still $125 cheaper than GIAC.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsilvermini
Still $125 cheaper than GIAC.
IF YOU CAN GET IT....
JCW tunes on a non JCW is a bit like an urban-legend....a few folks have gotten them...but is is pretty rare, and is often done as a "favor" to a special customer....the MINI computer system makes it difficult to give this upgrade from what I have been told..it REQUIRES authorization...

Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
ok well i got a question on giac's site as it shows that the reflash is for 03-07. im assuming that this is a typo and they really mean 02-06?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by unxpectederror
yeah but isnt that still like $700 bucks lol
The module with our quicktune would only run $600.

The GIAC says 03-07 so they are including the convertible MINI cause in 07 and even 08 the cabrio was still an R52 so the tuning is the same.

Stay away from these tunes that just add a bunch of timing, it's not good for your engine longterm.

If you want to save money on our tune, meet us at an event and our quicktune will only cost you $225.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What is a "quick tune"?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
What is a "quick tune"?
type of canned tune?.. i really dont understand how its any different from the GIAC tune.. someone care to explain as there are many happy GIAC users out there from what im reading.

also i figure that for now i can put a GIAC tune on my car till one of the good tuners for our cars come over to New England. between the two it would cost just as much as having a remote tune done lol

anyone know if it would it be safe to run a cam with the 17% 380cc GIAC tune?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Way answered your question. GIAC bumps timing and rev limiter. There are many more things that Way can control, all to your benefit. Personally, I have driven a customized remote tune and the GIAC with the same equipment and am happy as can be with my tune. I can also say with first hand experience, the GIAC is inferior between the two.

Comparing GIAC to stock, it was pretty powerful, but only high end. Comparing it to my tune now, it isn't in the same league. With that said, you will see a good improvement over stock. All my equipment listed now was there for both tunes.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Some Guy
What is a "quick tune"?
It's my own version of a quick, easy, and conservative tune.

How it's different? Rather than changing timing and the rev limiter to a specific amount and not changing anything else. I change timing, fuel, torque maps, throttle maps, and the rev limiter. And I do it based on the mods you tell me you have. With this tune we are not trying to lean the car out and make as much power as possible like we would with a dyno tune. This is made to give you drivability and smoothness, while making a few extra HP. That's why it is also half the price of our dyno tunes.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM
SCVMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

How much are we talking about for a remote????

Quick Reply: Drivetrain GIAC reflash vs JCW reflash on MCS?