Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Help Me Find My Exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Find My Exhaust!!

Hello everybody! I am 19 years old and have a 2009 Cooper S. Because of my age (haha) I am looking for a special kind of exhaust that I just not been able to find yet. I'm looking for a full turboback system with large pipes (preferably a 3" system). I need it LOUD LOUD LOUDand the largest possible hp/torque gains. Someone please help me. I'm lost.

I do like the borla cat-back added to an exhaust depot catless downpipe which is the sickest ive seen so far but nowhere does it show any dyno with hp/torque gains.

Any ideas people?!?!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Alright well i'm 19 too. I say just get a full exhaust depot turbo back. Catless downpipe, straight 2.5 inch all the way to a single magnaflow resonator. Guarantee you that will be loud enough. If it's not, just get the resonator cut out and you'll have the loud as **** srt-4 sound. I'm running an exhaust depot catback, sounds sick. Gettin a catless downpipe pretty soon.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DNadar
Alright well i'm 19 too. I say just get a full exhaust depot turbo back. Catless downpipe, straight 2.5 inch all the way to a single magnaflow resonator. Guarantee you that will be loud enough. If it's not, just get the resonator cut out and you'll have the loud as **** srt-4 sound. I'm running an exhaust depot catback, sounds sick. Gettin a catless downpipe pretty soon.

Damn good to hear dude I looked at that one too seems pretty serious, what kind of numbers do you get off that kid and how much boost gain?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Honestly you're not gonna gain much hp with intake and exhaust. You'll be looking at 5-15 hp with a turboback. I've seen stock JCW's dyno the same or higher than ones with intake, boost tubes, and full exhaust. Exhaust and intake will just sound good. If you want more power you gotta tune it.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
yeah im waiting until im all done with my engine and then its defffinitely getting tuned lots of work left haha

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Haha yeah if i do everything I want to to my car i'd be looking at over $8,000. It's definitely a process

Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
haha my friend did an 02 MCS...$30k in extras...definitely a process hahah

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loud + Power Gains, OK
Loud + 3", OK
3" + Power Gains, debatable
Loud + 3" + Power Gains, again, debatable.

Louder doesnt necessarily mean more power, nor does larger mean more power. There is endless argument about 2.5" vs 3" exhaust, in MY opinion, 3" is too large for a 1.6L with a K03. It will be loud for sure, but gains will be minimal. If you want loud, run a straight pipe with a catless DP.
Just good luck with emissios, if you have em.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:28 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
You want loud? Get a catless down pipe and a Stramosphere exhaust.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I'm getting a catless downpipe very soon. I'll let you know how loud it is with my ED exhaust

Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't see dyno runs, because they would be embarrassing!
Please do not assume "large" provides an increase in power. The exhaust, like the intake, is as much a acoustic issue as it is a fluids issue. It is more about velocity and timing the acoustic wave to scavenge the cylinder than size. Bigger is not better, it is what you do with it. Size of the tubes, location of bends, distances between reflective elements, even the shape of the tip are all factors the manufacturer considered. The ECU is programed with all this in mind. Change the plumbing, and you need to change the ECU programming.

If you want to actually learn about this, go get an old car and put a MegaSquirt system on it. You can then experiment with the plumbing and the required code changes. Of course, if you are not a large company or university, you can't afford the instrumentation.

A catless downpipe is illegal for street use. Besides that, it is not needed to make power. You have a turbo. The turbo is tuned with the understanding of the exhaust and intake as delivered by the factory. When you get your degree in mechanical engineering specializing in induction systems, then come back and spec a exhaust pipe. Until then, let those who do, do the design work.

Why don't you turn down your iPod so you can hear the noise it already makes. By the time you grow up, you may still have some hearing left to make better judgments.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I'm pretty sure the OP knew that going catless is illegal. And how do you know that he doesn't plan on programming the ECU w/ the AccessPORT? Regardless, right now you're telling a lot of people on this forum, many of them well over their 30's, that they need to turn their iPod's down and are stupid for getting exhausts/ catless downpipes.

BTW your post made me laugh :D Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Every time I see the title to this thread I think, "Go look at your back bumper. It should be somewhere around there"

I hope you people who think loud is cool never live by me.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Well you know, if you ain't loud, you can't sit at the cool table during lunch!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Typically the bigger the exhaust pipe in a car like this will produce more low muddlung drone. You know that deep humming sound that produces massive headaches. Get ready to invest more in your sound system as you won't be able to hear it over your DRONE.

Good luck and I hope you can get it loud enough!

Hey just cut all the exhaust, resonators and mufflers out, now you got FREE FLOW and loud like you've never heard it. Maybe that will get you a 1-2 HP gain...nope, just a 1-200 dollar ticket!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I admit it, Yes I am. Look at the medical reports. If you think my generation has hearing problems from too many Who concerts stoned, it is nothing like the hearing epidemic facing the Gen X and Y's. Want to get rich? Buy stock in hearing aid companies.

Admittedly, I don't sit at the cool table. I sit at the one where we can have a conversation as we are not all hard of hearing. Far more entertaining. My cars may not be cool but they are all fast.

What I wish to convey to the OP is removing a cat is not only illegal and irresponsible, but it will not achieve his goals. I know it goes against a lot of ad copy, but re-engineering a car is actually an engineering discipline. It is not best done by reading advertisements. He should educate himself in the issues involved with a power SYSTEM.

I am wondering where the forum moderators are when clearly illegal activities are being discussed. Down pipe discussions should be moved to the race only forum.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
iBeJayKaying
1st Gear
OP's first post reminds me of a thread that I started as a joke....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428178

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
phillipcoopersgates
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
Loud + Power Gains, OK
Loud + 3", OK
3" + Power Gains, debatable
Loud + 3" + Power Gains, again, debatable.

Louder doesnt necessarily mean more power, nor does larger mean more power. There is endless argument about 2.5" vs 3" exhaust, in MY opinion, 3" is too large for a 1.6L with a K03. It will be loud for sure, but gains will be minimal. If you want loud, run a straight pipe with a catless DP.
Just good luck with emissios, if you have em.
I would most likely do a 2.5" uncatted DP and straight pipe with a magnaflow backbox to 4" tips cuz i think the 4" tips looks really pissed off. Just wanna know how much it would cost and if anyone else has done it

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Originally Posted by phillipcoopersgates
I would most likely do a 2.5" uncatted DP and straight pipe with a magnaflow backbox to 4" tips cuz i think the 4" tips looks really pissed off. Just wanna know how much it would cost and if anyone else has done it
lol, did you search and see what I have and then post it as a reply to my quote?

I have that setup, except I have a stock catted DP.
2.5" piping with the 2nd cat removed after the flex pipe, straight back to a magnaflow muffler with 4" slanted tips.
Search akakong88 on youtube and you'll find my exhaust vids with this setup.
There is one of me next to another mini with an invidia q300 exhaust, you can compare the "loudness" between the two, where the invidia is already louder than stock. I've since added a tune and a in line 22"x4" round magnaflow resonator. A little more refined, a little less drone, but louder with the tune since its running an additional +8lbs of boost from stock.

Paid $150 in parts, $200 on install and piping.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
I admit it, Yes I am. Look at the medical reports. If you think my generation has hearing problems from too many Who concerts stoned, it is nothing like the hearing epidemic facing the Gen X and Y's. Want to get rich? Buy stock in hearing aid companies.

Admittedly, I don't sit at the cool table. I sit at the one where we can have a conversation as we are not all hard of hearing. Far more entertaining. My cars may not be cool but they are all fast.

What I wish to convey to the OP is removing a cat is not only illegal and irresponsible, but it will not achieve his goals. I know it goes against a lot of ad copy, but re-engineering a car is actually an engineering discipline. It is not best done by reading advertisements. He should educate himself in the issues involved with a power SYSTEM.

I am wondering where the forum moderators are when clearly illegal activities are being discussed. Down pipe discussions should be moved to the race only forum.
Are you really arguing the merits of removing the cats from the exhaust system?!? Education or not the restrictions imposed by catalytic converters is undeniable, ESPECIALLY on turbo cars. Furthermore, you should probably use another forum if people with cat-less downpipes are at all morally offensive to you. Take your geritol, pull up your tighty whities and go find yourself a nice assisted living home. If you really enjoyed cars and modifying them you wouldnt be making these half-cocked statements.

On to the OP, 2.5 is the biggest OD for a stock turbo. You'll see a few HP gains and a bit of torque increase just with the turbo back. Get an AccessPort so that the car "sees" the mods. Best bang for your buck mod without getting crazy.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
BadMINI S
Its not just an obsession
I have a Riss Racing Catless Dp and Magnaflow Exhaust and it's pretty loud and very throaty. If I could, I would have gotten a factory JCW exhaust w/ the catless DP...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LtpX9j2JXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjsbZ6ERbnk

Last edited by BadMINI S; 02-22-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
I know this is a MINI issue but my 2008 VW GTI had the APR turbo back installed. It includes their RSC technology which makes it very quiet when not pushing it to hard but once you do watch out.

Its the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard. Plus its also recognized is one of the best, if not the best, on the market. So loud does not mean better. There is a lot of engineering that goes into designing an exhaust system. Size is not everything as there is back pressure to consider as well as it can be designed to literally suck the combustion gases out and promote the intake of the new fuel/air mixture.

Ferrari 642/643 3.5L 65° V12 prducing any where from 710HP to 750HP

APR 3" RSC
Official APR videos

Last edited by pheatton; 02-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Help Me Find My Exhaust!!