Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New R53 A2A Intercooler from DoS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still wish that it could be used as a frontmount I/C, but so far the test data looks good. I wana see some logs taken in Death Valley this summer.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
ggcadc
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
based on price and the numbers youve already posted, the GRS would have to be 100% efficient to sell against this simple replacement unit. I dont think that the GRS is capable of bringing ambient or below temps...

Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
This one would come real close on a SPRINTEX equiped car! All the logging that Mike and Jay at MYNES have done has shown an average of 40 degrees cooler pre I/C temps running the Aussie twin screw, combine that with the logs taken post I/C with this cooler & stock charger combo. What would you get? Some COLD @$$ AIR thats what! Oh dont forget to throw water meth on that just for a kick between the leggs worth of good measure.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
This one would come real close on a SPRINTEX equiped car! All the logging that Mike and Jay at MYNES have done has shown an average of 40 degrees cooler pre I/C temps running the Aussie twin screw, combine that with the logs taken post I/C with this cooler & stock charger combo. What would you get? Some COLD @$$ AIR thats what! Oh dont forget to throw water meth on that just for a kick between the leggs worth of good measure.
I wana hear about your results with this IC.

Although I am very happy with my M7 DFIC, its not for all to cut away at their hood. This looks very nice as well and even better on paper

Clint, thank you for bringing more options to our community. I know how hard it can be to ruffle up the money and time into developing a product that theres already 10 others competing with. You are doing us a great service by keeping it up!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
40° cooler???????
Um how is that possible when I can rarely see 40° above ambient on the stock IC?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
AZ I dont have the DOS cooler, I am also running a DFIC and for what I use the car for and where I live I also give it good credit.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI33342
40° cooler???????
Um how is that possible when I can rarely see 40° above ambient on the stock IC?

Intercooler efficiency at any given moment in time is dependent upon a series of independent and dependent factors/variables -- engine load, supercharger mods, cylinder head mods, engine RPM's, vehicle speed, ambient temp, accuracy of datalogging equipment/sensors, . . . amongst other factors.

It would be great if you could send me some of your datalogs, a list of your mods, and the type of datalogger that you're using so that I can compare your info to the logs from my car. I'm curious to see the running conditions where you're achieving the IC outlet-vs.-ambient delta that you mention. My email is clint@defendersofpseed.com if you'd like to share those with DoS.

I appreciate your comment on this thread.

-Clint

Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
AZ I dont have the DOS cooler, I am also running a DFIC and for what I use the car for and where I live I also give it good credit.
For whatever it's worth - I just ordered this DOS IC from Clint, and am waiting for it to arrive, probably in about two weeks. I'm not going to race, or do major surgery on the motor.

I just want to deliver as much clean cooler air (lots of oxygen molecules) to the cylinders as possible under variable conditions. Car runs beautifully now - way more power, smoothness and better mileage than when I first got it. PDX-Mini club road rallys are much more fun now. But I did notice a bit of sluggishness in hot "95 degree" weather at WOT. So, this new IC is the last thing I know to do that will increase oxygen to the motor without engine and exhaust work.

2006 MCS cabrio: 15%, CAI, Evotech "canned" tune, Alta Inlet tube, oil catch can, MDS & Wires, Pulstar plugs, stock exhaust, KONI FSD, 22mm sway bar, tower bar, reinforcement tower plates, lower brace, modified strut plates - longer studs, OEM power steering fan duct, Poly lower engine bushings, 0-30 Amsoil, Redline Tranny fluid.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Intercooler efficiency at any given moment in time is dependent upon a series of independent and dependent factors/variables -- engine load, supercharger mods, cylinder head mods, engine RPM's, vehicle speed, ambient temp, accuracy of datalogging equipment/sensors, . . . amongst other factors.

It would be great if you could send me some of your datalogs, a list of your mods, and the type of datalogger that you're using so that I can compare your info to the logs from my car. I'm curious to see the running conditions where you're achieving the IC outlet-vs.-ambient delta that you mention. My email is clint@defendersofpseed.com if you'd like to share those with DoS.

I appreciate your comment on this thread.

-Clint

My comment has more to do with the fact that **** stated he was seeing 40° cooler temps from the new sprintex SC. Not from the IC.

And on my non-track days I usually see anywhere from 10-25° difference in temps from my scangaugeII......are you suggesting that this is not normal?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI33342
My comment has more to do with the fact that **** stated he was seeing 40° cooler temps from the new sprintex SC. Not from the IC.

And on my non-track days I usually see anywhere from 10-25° difference in temps from my scangaugeII......are you suggesting that this is not normal?
On a non-track day, under lower engine load, depending upon the factors I noted above you could see deltas like the one that you're mentioning.

As for the Sprintex stuff . . . maybe you guys can start another thread or shift the questions over to an existing thread to continue the conversation?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
MINI33342 you are in the wrong thread for discussing the SPRINTEX. I am only going to answer this one question, so we dont jack Clint's thread.

I dont have the SPRINTEX on my car yet, I actually pick the kit up tomorrow. Mynes did a lot of testing that showed a repeated average of 40 degrees cooler IAT's over the M45. I can tell you now that if you are running the M45, your IAT's are well above your claim. On my car in 50 degree ambient temps, my average street IAT post I/C was right around 105 degrees in spirited runs and as high as 140 on the dyno with a fan. Ya if you pussyfoot your car around town and never really get on it for verry long it will be lower, but 40 over ambient FOR ME atleast would be verry far fetched.

If you are interested in how the sprintex will do there is already one thread, but it seems to have been taken over by hooligans. I am going to start another soon, and hopefully they stay out of it.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Ummmmm......you opened that can of worms dude.

And I do some VERY spirited driving when not on the track and rarely have I ever seen temps go above 40° ambient while moving, now after a good heat soak the temps go MUCH higher. But I guess my experiences don't count.