Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ns1/ns2 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ns1/ns2 cam question

on the website it says core charge not included ...is there a core charge and if so how much?

and ive heard that doing a street cam like ns1 or rmw will not require a tune or to be dialed in....but what about a race cam like the ns2?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:10 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using the ns 1 cam for over a year and love how it performs in the s
Contact keith at werkin mini for advice.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zachsa
on the website it says core charge not included ...is there a core charge and if so how much?

and ive heard that doing a street cam like ns1 or rmw will not require a tune or to be dialed in....but what about a race cam like the ns2?

here are the STOCK cam, NS1 Cam and the RMW Newman street/tq cam

you can see that our cam is much bigger than the others. Even the NS2
don't be lead into thinking the cam is bigger based on their marketing. The "advertised" info is based on the WRONG ROCKER ARM RATIOS.............which then makes you think the cam is bigger than it really is.

Yes, our cams will run on the stock tunes with no issues

Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
here are the STOCK cam, NS1 Cam and the RMW Newman street/tq cam

you can see that our cam is much bigger than the others. Even the NS2
don't be lead into thinking the cam is bigger based on their marketing. The "advertised" info is based on the WRONG ROCKER ARM RATIOS.............which then makes you think the cam is bigger than it really is.

Yes, our cams will run on the stock tunes with no issues

price? and is there a core charge like the ns cam?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
$375 shipped in US
No core charge

Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We sell the NS1 and NS2 cams, there is a core charge but returning your stock cam will save you from the charge.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi all,

the prices posted on the FES site include a core charge. $50 is refunded to you when you return a usable core. Other NAM vendors that sell the NS cams are Way (as he posted here already), Out Motoring and Detroit Tuned (though Chad doesn't have them up on his site yet..... Call him directly)

There are other non-NAM vendors that carry the cams as well.

Jan has good parts, we have good parts.

If you have more questions I'd be happy to answer them or get the answers I don't have.... mattr@fes-auto.com.

Matt

ps, and to the OPs question: The NS2 will run and idle fine without a tune, but like all power parts, a custom tune will get you more than just bolting it on.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
op here: why would there even be a core charge? can you create a longer intake and exhaust duration and more lift from a stock cam or sumthing?and if so are you machining these used cams and selling them as a performance cam?...

and im sure who ever recieved the cams posted on previous page got an exchange ..or refund...

and as for what type of performance gain im looking for.....i want mid and high rpm power...

edit: i would also like to see some number from the ns2 cam and the rmw cam...intake exhaust duration/lif/overlap/etc.

Last edited by zachsa; 07-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
op here: why would there even be a core charge? can you create a longer intake and exhaust duration and more lift from a stock cam or sumthing?and if so are you machining these used cams and selling them as a performance cam?...

and im sure who ever recieved the cams posted on previous page got an exchange ..or refund...

and as for what type of performance gain im looking for.....i want mid and high rpm power...

edit: i would also like to see some number from the ns2 cam and the rmw cam...intake exhaust duration/lif/overlap/etc.
As you can see from my chart the other cam will not do what our base cam will do
We have 4 different race
Cams with NO core charges
I'm heading in a plane in 90 min so if you want to talk about cams feel free to call
The cam that was broken in shipment was replaced. So much for 3rd world shipping care

Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, you really need to talk to the vendors. And it really depends on what you're application is going to be.

And, if you have the time, you might want to talk to a few of the reputable shops that install these types of parts, especially if they tune, or have tuning parties. They have a better of idea of what you can expect from each cam; the answers can be at times surprising... It's about the closest you're going to get from independent testing.

What each cam can and cannot do then becomes more apparent. And there are more cams than have been mentioned on these boards, that may also be a consideration.

I'm not pushing any one cam over another, but I have it narrowed down to three potential cams, only one of which has been discussed on this thread. Many of the folk "in the know" won't/can't post here, so a little legwork pays off in the end, to make absolutely sure you get the right cam for your application. That very may well be one of the cams talked about on this thread.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
ok so enough of these personal opinions and marketing .....can i just get the facts about the cams please?
i do not need to hear anything other than the answer to my questions..i made this thread for answers..not opinions....

1.the ns cams are used cams...correct?..why else would they have a core charge?i can assume thats why they are cheaper than any other cam on the market...can somone give me the specs of the ns2 cam?duration/lift/overlap?

2.im aware that there are other cams out there than rmw and ns....the rmw and ns cam are in my price range...others are not...i do not need to know about other cams..im am not asking about any other cams...im only concerned with rmw and ns cam...

3. if i could JUST get the numbers for the rmw cam and the ns2 cam..i will make the choice of wich cam will suit my needs better. MYSELF.i do not need someone telling me to do my reasearch on cam theroy..

4.if anyone has a problem with staying on topic please feel free to GTFO...

thanks in advanced

Last edited by zachsa; 07-19-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works

can you tell me the color codes...green=stock cam?

left side exhaust? right is intake?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
ok so enough of these personal opinions and marketing .....can i just get the facts about the cams please?
i do not need to hear anything other than the answer to my questions..i made this thread for answers..not opinions....

1.the ns cams are used cams...correct?..why else would they have a core charge?i can assume thats why they are cheaper than any other cam on the market...can somone give me the specs of the ns2 cam?duration/lift/overlap?

2.im aware that there are other cams out there than rmw and ns....the rmw and ns cam are in my price range...others are not...i do not need to know about other cams..im am not asking about any other cams...im only concerned with rmw and ns cam...

3. if i could JUST get the numbers for the rmw cam and the ns2 cam..i will make the choice of wich cam will suit my needs better. MYSELF.i do not need someone telling me to do my reasearch on cam theroy..

thanks in advanced
#1- Yes they are used reground OEM camshaft.

#2- Good to know.

#3- There are numbers out there if your talking dyno numbers but they can be all over the place as few cars have the exact same mods and the dyno runs done in the exact same conditions, also who tuned the motor after install will effect the results.

#4- Hope that helped.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
minimarks...

1. thank you

2.lol

3.wanting duration/lift/overlap numbers....

4. yes thank you...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks in advanced
1. Yes

2. There ARE other cams in your price range. If you don't want to know about them, fine. The one in particular I'm thinking of probably isn't for your application anyway.

3. You need to make some phone calls, plain and simple. A cam is a pretty big upgrade, and depends on your other mods. You can TRY to make an educated guess from these boards, but like I said, just make some calls.

4. If you want answers, call some of the vendors--for example Jan at RMW, Keith at Werkin, Mynes, might want to give WMW a call too, Helix, Grassroots. If you want opinions, just keep posting here. The numbers you're after exist. You won't ever see them posted for a variety of reasons. If you REALLY want it nailed down properly for your car, to go along with your mods, you need to speak to a tuner, or someone familiar with what the cam does.

If you're putting in a cam without a tune, some cams will work better for this application than others. If you're going to get a tune--and that's definitely a better way to go--the options change.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
#3- Not sure you'll get anyone to post those exact figures as then it might be replicated. Call the individual company heads and have a conversation with them concerning the specifics would be my recommendation.

PS: Don't be discouraged, it's all part of the....S..err.....fun....

Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Hopefully folks will keep things a little more focused now. Cam is something of a buzz word around here.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cct1

2. There ARE other cams in your price range. If you don't want to know about them, fine. The one in particular I'm thinking of probably isn't for your application anyway.
im interested i this said cam in my price range...i race my car on the weekends but its also my daily driver....

by the way my mods are:

15%sc pully,cai,DT bypass valve,one step colder plugs,coil pack,dual side exit exhaust(cat back)

im wanting to finish off with a cam,440cc injectors,and a tune...

and i will be calling vendors this week to get the numbers im looking for

Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
3. if i could JUST get the numbers and the ns2 cam.
This might help you?

http://www.fes-auto.com/products_det...p?productid=39

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by JIMINNI

Jim,

you are quoting "ADVERTISED" numbers again..........please don't post incorrect info. If you looked at the rolling of the cams you can tell it's no where near those numbers. I realize you are just listening to guys like Nitro who tell you info. THOSE NUMBERS ARE INCORRECT...........There is only 1 cam out there with those type of REAL numbers and it's not the NS cams

this is the problem with the forum

Zachsa, I have the numbers and will post them today

sit back , relax and enjoy

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
No Jan it is not incorrect information. The numbers are in fact correct as advertised based on 1.75 rocker ratio. *I took your indirect advice talked to NITRO aka Nitrominis the designer of the NS cams and he explained how to convert to the specification using the actual stock MINIs rocker ratio's and my cam card that I received with my NS 1 cam. Here they are. The NS 1 spec’s.
If you supplied cam cards for your cams then others could do the same with your cam as well.
NS1 : Lobe lift *5.4356 I / 5.8928 ex
Lift at Valve : 1.64 x lobe lift = 8.912 *****valve lift Int
********************* * 1.44 x lobe lift =* 8.4836** *valve lift ex

Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have numbers, but, I do have the RMW street cam. If you are looking for mid-high rpm power increase, I can tell you this thing rocks. From just over 3k to my new adjusted redline of 7200 rpm. Very nice power increase, good idle. No problems after almost 2 years.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
OK so if there is only 1 cam with TRUE numbers. Post the freakin numbers so people can understand instead of playing this game you always play. This forum should just get renamed RMW Motoring

Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
No Jan it is not incorrect information. The numbers are in fact correct as advertised based on 1.75 rocker ratio. *I took your indirect advice talked to NITRO aka Nitrominis the designer of the NS cams and he explained how to convert to the specification using the actual stock MINIs rocker ratio's and my cam card that I received with my NS 1 cam. Here they are. The NS 1 spec’s.
If you supplied cam cards for your cams then others could do the esame with your cam as well.
NS1 : Lobe lift *5.4356 I / 5.8928 ex
Lift at Valve : 1.64 x lobe lift = 8.912 *****valve lift Int
********************* * 1.44 x lobe lift =* 8.4836** *valve lift ex
What adjustable Cam gear are you running?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
I don't have numbers, but, I do have the RMW street cam. If you are looking for mid-high rpm power increase, I can tell you this thing rocks. From just over 3k to my new adjusted redline of 7200 rpm. Very nice power increase, good idle. No problems after almost 2 years.
Do you have an adjustable Cam gear?

If you don't, from what I've seen being on the track with you, you sure don't need one... LOL

Last edited by minimarks; 07-20-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ns1/ns2 cam question