Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best intercooler ever..??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 AM
brulz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best intercooler ever..??

Witch is the best intercooler ever?
Alta?
Forge?
Helix?
"homemade"?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Helix or Forge. I am a Helix man myself.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a water/air intercooler should be out soon

Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
+1 for the Helix product AND their install skills as they also installed the IC for me in January 0f 2010.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
fernflex
3rd Gear
My forge was great, I didnt have to cut or modify anything

Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
a water/air intercooler should be out soon

Any more details on this? Manufacturer?

I would love to see this on my car.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Defenders of Speed is developing it right now. Expect to pay up big time!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
helix ftw!

forge makes all kinds of car parts and isnt from the us, so i supported helix. its a great intercooler

w2a would be nice but im not paying over 2500 for a intercooler lol not needed for a street car

Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by eg0911
helix ftw!

forge makes all kinds of car parts and isnt from the us, so i supported helix. its a great intercooler

w2a would be nice but im not paying over 2500 for a intercooler lol not needed for a street car
if you plan to make 25+psi you would want to run a w2a .

Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Defenders of Speed is developing it right now. Expect to pay up big time!
We spent a lot of time working on a W2A that does not break the bank this time. . . We've learned a lot since the R53.

More info will be released at AMVIV.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
What are the competitive differences between the Forge and Helix products?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Originally Posted by Douglas H
What are the competitive differences between the Forge and Helix products?

Helix has cast endtanks while forge has hand fabricated endtanks

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
Go with Helix. Great company.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
I have a Helix ic and it sits to the right as if you are facing the car. You can see the end tank on the left. ITS ANNOYING ME!! Seems like i installed it wrong, but i see others are that way as well. Does the Forge sit the same way?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
YUP

Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Okay, thats a bit of a relief. Oh btw James, i'm pickin up that intake you recommended to me

Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 AM
BSH Speedshop
Former Vendor
As part of our racing development we have performed considerable intercooler testing utilizing cores from budget over seas manufacturers and high dollar units. We have had decent luck with some of the less expensive cores but for our own use on our street and race cars we only use real Garrett intercooler cores.

We have made packages utilizing these cores for other platforms we work on. Here are some of the results we have seen. (P.S. to avoid being coy this is something we are working on for the R56 platform.)

Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
well as, what seems to be, a general rule, Air-to-air ICs will be better on street, and W2A ICs are a race application. this is not always the case, but usually if you want the best gains possible, a W2A intercooler is the way to go, most boosted drag cars have them cuz for that 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or mile, that intercooler will give unbelievable gains over a regular or race air to air. only problem with w2a on street is heat, the units typically work great for maybe 10 hard pulls, but after that can heat up. obviously there are ways to make that not an issue, but that issue solving comes in the form of extra weight and tighter engine and/or bumper space. obviously not a problem on some cars like a heavily boosted mustang, but that's only race technologies. look at the Corvette ZR1, amazing engine, W2A, you throw that kinda efficiency in a MINI and you're a win (aka keep your eye on Clint at DoS). but in the mean time, most budget friendly, and far more common A2A intercooler seems to be the best for most power applications.

i made a thread comparing Alta and Helix ICs side by side and driving impressions, from what i can tell, in quick fire style, the quick sum up is like this.... Stock, plastic end tanks, holds up to 22 psi but not as much air gets to it (22psi comes from what i've seen some stock JCWs do with the stock IC which is the same as the MCS ones...) next would be Helix, cast end tanks, larger than stock bottom step core, design seems to make most of the air go through the bottom with the top fin section being almost an ambient cooler (this is the intercooler i run and between stock, alta and helix i prefer helix significantly over Alta, especially for it's direct fit and no cutting) helix kinda morphs into Forge, which has a smaller i THINK (not sure) stock sized lower core with an alta kind of tall upper core, stock like attachment brackets and the fabricated end tanks throw the charged air all throughout (which in most cases going from bottom to top of ic will make for boost loss since it has further to move, but forge is a very large company and has lots of experience in making ICs as you'd see on their sight). and last is Alta (it almost fits!), very tall IC, no brackets, comes with a small strip that goes between the bumper beam and the IC (it basically leans forward against the strip... downside of Alta IC is the need to trim plastic down at the bottom and the cold boost side of the IC doesn't have the same angle as the stock, helix, or forge IC, so it's almost a direct fit like the other two. then there's ARC... stock looking, same size, and... welll... doesn't seem to be ANY different minus cast end tanks instead of plastic....

but anyhoo, my two pence is helix, forge does basically the same thing, but Helix is american made gotta stimulate the economy right :P

Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
DoS R55, R56, R57 Turbo/'S' W2A IC Unveiled at AMVIV 7

Well, DoS has the pre-production W2A unit finished, final parts sourced, & unveiled our new baby at AMVIV 7. We're now cranking to announce our not-so-scary final retail pricing this week.

This completely street and trackworthy W2A design has allowed us to remove over 5 feet of tubing from the air inlet tract, allowing for a major reduction in turbo lag. Initial datalogging is showing intake temps of 5-to-25 degrees above ambient under varied repeated heavy loading and brief recovery periods.

More news to come later this week.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
well as, what seems to be, a general rule, Air-to-air ICs will be better on street, and W2A ICs are a race application. this is not always the case, but usually if you want the best gains possible, a W2A intercooler is the way to go, most boosted drag cars have them cuz for that 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or mile, that intercooler will give unbelievable gains over a regular or race air to air. only problem with w2a on street is heat, the units typically work great for maybe 10 hard pulls, but after that can heat up. obviously there are ways to make that not an issue, but that issue solving comes in the form of extra weight and tighter engine and/or bumper space. obviously not a problem on some cars like a heavily boosted mustang, but that's only race technologies. look at the Corvette ZR1, amazing engine, W2A, you throw that kinda efficiency in a MINI and you're a win (aka keep your eye on Clint at DoS). but in the mean time, most budget friendly, and far more common A2A intercooler seems to be the best for most power applications.

i made a thread comparing Alta and Helix ICs side by side and driving impressions, from what i can tell, in quick fire style, the quick sum up is like this.... Stock, plastic end tanks, holds up to 22 psi but not as much air gets to it (22psi comes from what i've seen some stock JCWs do with the stock IC which is the same as the MCS ones...) next would be Helix, cast end tanks, larger than stock bottom step core, design seems to make most of the air go through the bottom with the top fin section being almost an ambient cooler (this is the intercooler i run and between stock, alta and helix i prefer helix significantly over Alta, especially for it's direct fit and no cutting) helix kinda morphs into Forge, which has a smaller i THINK (not sure) stock sized lower core with an alta kind of tall upper core, stock like attachment brackets and the fabricated end tanks throw the charged air all throughout (which in most cases going from bottom to top of ic will make for boost loss since it has further to move, but forge is a very large company and has lots of experience in making ICs as you'd see on their sight). and last is Alta (it almost fits!), very tall IC, no brackets, comes with a small strip that goes between the bumper beam and the IC (it basically leans forward against the strip... downside of Alta IC is the need to trim plastic down at the bottom and the cold boost side of the IC doesn't have the same angle as the stock, helix, or forge IC, so it's almost a direct fit like the other two. then there's ARC... stock looking, same size, and... welll... doesn't seem to be ANY different minus cast end tanks instead of plastic....

but anyhoo, my two pence is helix, forge does basically the same thing, but Helix is american made gotta stimulate the economy right :P
Lol yep, we already bought a car from outside the US. Might as well buy domestic parts

Oh and that w2a setup looks great! Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
JamesHunt
Banned

Clint

When are you shipping ?

JD

Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Well, DoS has the pre-production W2A unit finished, final parts sourced, & unveiled our new baby at AMVIV 7. We're now cranking to announce our not-so-scary final retail pricing this week.

This completely street and trackworthy W2A design has allowed us to remove over 5 feet of tubing from the air inlet tract, allowing for a major reduction in turbo lag. Initial datalogging is showing intake temps of 5-to-25 degrees above ambient under varied repeated heavy loading and brief recovery periods.

Now THAT is cool! I like it. Not to mention the fact that it gets rid of the restrictive cold side piping.

I just hope the price is just as attractive!

How is the install on this Clint?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon

Wow looks great ....any chance of a PWR barrel style IC for the R53 or not enough room

Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by D-MAN
Wow looks great ....any chance of a barrel style IC for the R53 or not enough room
Unfortunately, there's not enough room on the R53. You could do it, but it would be near the radiator overflow tank and exhaust manifold. It's heat soak city in that part of the engine bay.

The R56 is much better situated for a setup like this. We also have the room to play thanks to our CAI design.

However, DoS has not forgotten about the R53. We have new prototype parts coming in next week that should really help out the R53 in the intercooler department at a price that will retail at ~= 1/3 the price of our current IC offerings. If testing proves what our math is showing, we'll revolutionize intercooling for the R53.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best intercooler ever..??