Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain warranty didn't cover my reflash of v.3.4.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:32 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone at this forum experienced any problem getting their ecu reflash due to a reduction pulley?

bbt4

Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I had my local dealer send my DME out cause they said they could not flash it there. I have a pulley, Air filter, and wires. it was all covered under warranty.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhhhh....you need to have your ECU re-flashed after you get the reduction pulley?.....

Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
NO, you do NOT need to get your ECU reflashed after getting a pulley installed!!!

Whether you have a pulley or not is irrelevant to getting your ECU updated with the latest software. The dealership has no right to make judgment based upon irrelevant modifications - Heads would roll if they told me that load!

Old 10-15-2003, 07:31 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
so what should i do?
they want 1.5 hrs @ $135/hr.

bbt4

Old 10-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
1.5 hours to flash!!!!!!! Who are they kidding, flag hours are one thing, but......

Old 10-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Let's face it - BMW do not really want enthusiasts buying their cars unless they keep them stock and spend all their money at the dealerships (read JCW).

BMW will hide behind any modification you have to make you pay - even for problems that they themselves knowingly sold you (read stumble and yoyo).

Old 10-15-2003, 08:34 PM
400ex
2nd Gear
That sucks. Why would they not reflash your ECU with the latest version if yours is older ? Or are you asking for something else ?

If it's Mini USA's idea, that would be sad. If it's the dealers, call Mini USA.

Please keep us updated.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:30 AM
samawil
5th Gear
That's really weird...Did you talk to him (the dealer?) Did you ask how the Pulley can affect the S/W that's not even IN the car yet?

Here's a question: 3 years from now, s/w version 10.0 will be out. My warrantee is out by that time...do I have to pay to get V10.0?

Louay

Old 10-16-2003, 05:39 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
If you're still driving a BMW (Broke My Wallet) vehicle, ya will.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:13 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Louay, that's a good question and one that I've wondered about what with all of the continuing talk about software...

My guess is that they'll reflash for free for acknowledged problems that are covered by new software releases BUT will not indefinitely reflash your DME with new versions just because you ask. At some point -- like, when your warranty expires -- we'll all get charged for these "owner-requested" upgrades. That's my guess.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
>>
>>Here's a question: 3 years from now, s/w version 10.0 will be out. My warrantee is out by that time...do I have to pay to get V10.0?
>>

you bet, unless it's a safety issue. But you must consider that three years from now, the prices on "Shark - like " plug-and-play ECU upgrade devices will probably be down to a couple of hundred dollars -- or less. Who would want to go to the dealer in that case?!

Old 10-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
bbt, can you explain exactly what's going on here? For your information, most dealers will just install the most recent version of software automatically, whenever you take your MINI in for some other service (i.e. first oil change, etc.). Actually, most people with aftermarket ECU software have to make a serious effort to keep the dealers' hands off their ECU.

I think we're all a little confused as to what exactly you're trying to accomplish here. Please explain, and then perhaps we can be a bit better assistance. :smile:

Old 10-16-2003, 08:02 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Who is your dealer? I'd rag him to death... :evil:

Old 10-16-2003, 09:17 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
bbt, can you explain exactly what's going on here? For your information, most dealers will just install the most recent version of software automatically, whenever you take your MINI in for some other service (i.e. first oil change, etc.). Actually, most people with aftermarket ECU software have to make a serious effort to keep the dealers' hands off their ECU.
I don't believe this to be true. I know all of us with either ECU upgrades or thinking about getting one are worried that the dealer may reflash without asking. But I have yet to hear on this forum that it has actually happened. i'm pretty sure, especially with the problems with the stumble and all, that BMW/MINI WILL NOT reflash automatically. Especially since many of the more recent "fixes" just made the stumble or yo-yo worse!

Old 10-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
That's probably true, due to recent history; but this is exactly what happened on a fairly wide scale to infect so many stumble-free cars with the stumble earlier this year. ECUs were routinely re-flashed with the "best" or "most current" software. Maybe they've learned their lesson, but the point remains, as long as you're still within the warranty period they should be relashing ECUs free of charge. They do for everybody else...your pulley shouldn't change anything. Go to another dealer if possible.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
This is the equivalent of DELL Computers telling you they won't send you new software (unless you give them more money) to ugrade to a version of software that works

Seems like BMW are not only having problems developing software but also in the distribution of it.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:19 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Now tell me how long does it take for a large corporation to burn and distribute 70 CDs to their dealerships (if this is in fact how software is distributed - most people in the 21st century just download it) ?
Gee, my newest CD burner can burn an entire 800MB CD in 2.5 minutes! So it would only take me around 3 hours!

Old 10-17-2003, 07:09 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
If it's true that BMW will not be willing to update the ECU software of cars with pulley, unless we pay them $200, because the owners have voided there waranties, wouldn't they be missing the oppurtunity to some day load software that caused non JCW cars to run lean and suffer a premature death. Thereby punishing all of us for not poneying up for the JCW kit ?

Conspiracies are easy, greed endless and the truth easily lost by some dealer trying to make some extra cash. A official statement of policy from MINI would be most useful. Not covering damage to the blower and drivetrain is one thing, but trying to be greedy a** holes will not make for repeat customers. imo.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:23 AM
Ddraig
1st Gear
I can't quite remember what forum it was, possibly the performance and Mod forum, but someone said that there is a Motoring Act of some kind. Bascially understanding it from memory is that, if your warrenty can't be voided for a change or modification you do to your car unless that is what is causing your problem with the car. The ECU System is independant of the Pully System (Although probably has some control/functionality.) I would check that out, as well as see what Mini's offical policy is. I guess I can understand them saying it voids it to a degree, but you could just as easily say your pully broke and you put this one on.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
>>I can't quite remember what forum it was, possibly the performance and Mod forum, but someone said that there is a Motoring Act of some kind. Bascially understanding it from memory is that, if your warrenty can't be voided for a change or modification you do to your car unless that is what is causing your problem with the car. The ECU System is independant of the Pully System (Although probably has some control/functionality.) I would check that out, as well as see what Mini's offical policy is. I guess I can understand them saying it voids it to a degree, but you could just as easily say your pully broke and you put this one on.

Yup. It's the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act: The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that: "No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name..."(15 U.S.C. 2302). Essentially, your dealer (or warrantor) must prove that the modification led directly to the failure of the part at issue. For example, if you have a GIAC chip installed and the power window regulator fails, the car is still under warranty.

However, defending yourself against a dealer intent on voiding your warranty may require litigation. The law is on your side, but I suggest that you be fully aware of the lengths you may have to take to defend your rights.

Here's my suggestion. Be a *****. Go in there and make a stink. Embarrass them. They know you're in the right: they just want to take advantage of you. Ryphile is absoluetly correct: the pulley has nothing to do with the software. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, our experience has been that version 34 is not much better than previous versions. VDUBDOUG just got some double secret new file, which, according to him is the dog's bollocks. It's very smooth, with good power. We'll know next week when we dyno him. So my opinion is: don't pay for 34. Wait for the new (probably v.36) and then make them give it to you for free.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:03 PM
blackdogmini
2nd Gear
amen!