Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo vs Supercharged MINIs - let's meet at the track, RMW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minimusprime
Am i wrong here?
Yes you are...go fly your roflcopter... j/k....this is fun isnt it?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just think it would be most interesting to see both companies bring the best car they can put together. If RMW wants to bring the 2.0l TVS with a standalone, and Mynes wants to run a turbo with the stock DME to show customers what it is cable of, then do it. It's no mystery what RMW is likely to be running, so bring whatever you think you need to stay ahead him.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
LüDICRöüS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking out loud:

Since RMW can't strap the TVS1320 to the 1.6L, won't Mynes have to wait for the TVS900 to pan out to have his "fair challenge?"

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by minimusprime
i thought it was pretty clear that a turbo was a better setup to be on the track. you don't need low end tq as much as you're always just blasting through the upper ends of the gears. Where as an SC'd car will have some fun advantages around town and as a DD. It just so happens you can make them quick as well.
We thought this was a done argument also... but someone claims the lagginess of the turbo (or the area under the curve on the lower RPM's) makes the turbo setup NOT a good setup for Road Racing... thus there's been a plethora of posts stating such... which resulted with the challenge of this post.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by big howe
You said nothing of variables in the first post. In fact, you sounded like you thought you would wipe the floor with RMW, you were sick of the debate and were going to settle this.

Seems to me you have 3 months to build a 2.0 liter and get your MEMS going if you think you need it, or back out now and save everyone the time.

Tuner VS.Tuner, Turbo VS SC, the only stipulation, as clarified earlier, is a registered street car with factory trim.

You in or out?
that pretty much sums it up...............

Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
You said nothing of variables in the first post. In fact, you sounded like you thought you would wipe the floor with RMW, you were sick of the debate and were going to settle this.

Seems to me you have 3 months to build a 2.0 liter and get your MEMS going if you think you need it, or back out now and save everyone the time.

Tuner VS.Tuner, Turbo VS SC, the only stipulation, as clarified earlier, is a registered street car with factory trim.

You in or out?
I'm with BigH on this one... I could care less about the turbo vs supercharger debate. Seeing the vendors compete with a couple potent cars sounds like a winner to me

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned

You in or out?
I'm trying to settle this... why do you have to use the Standalone, is it b/c you can't scale the injectors on the Stock MINI ECU?

I'll settle with RMW's 2.0L so u can use that SC. But it's a YES only if we retain the stock ECU (and no piggyback)...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Oh the arrogance!!!I LOVE IT! I don't even own a Mini anymore (so couldn't care less), but would gladly make the drive to see this! Where is that smiley I hate so much......
(I'm hungry)

Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
that pretty much sums it up...............
Gimme a break....if its tuner to tuner run what you brung to see what each is capable of since this has gotten so skewed..then why not have Mike bring one of his EVO's or Subie's and you can bring the ABF car or one of the SC'd Lotus Elise that is in "development"? I mean....all this is funny now. You two remind me of a Mustang and a Civic...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
big howe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
I'm trying to settle this... why do you have to use the Standalone, is it b/c you can't scale the injectors on the Stock MINI ECU?

I'll settle with RMW's 2.0L so u can use that SC. But it's a YES only if we retain the stock ECU (and no piggyback)...
It's not up to me, I'm just trying to get you to follow through with your challenge. Do we take this as conceeding...............

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
You two remind me of a Mustang and a Civic...
Or a Vette and an Evo, lol

Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Or a Vette and an Evo, lol

Whats funny is Mike probably tuned that EVO....

Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned

Mike, you must be joking... I have been scaling injectors with 440s and 550s for quite some time

if this is the best you have...... I take it you don't want a piece of me.......

so are you IN OR OUT?

Last chance..........

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Gimme a break....if its tuner to tuner run what you brung to see what each is capable of since this has gotten so skewed..then why not have Mike bring one of his EVO's or Subie's and you can bring the ABF car or one of the SC'd Lotus Elise that is in "development"? I mean....all this is funny now. You two remind me of a Mustang and a Civic...

Mike was the one talking big about wiping the floor of a supercharged MINI....

I am bringing what I drive every day

why is everyone so scared of a supercharged MINI all of a sudden?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
I could care less what Mike has done with Evo's. What has he done with a Mini?

This is the first thread I have ever even heard his name Maybe I'm just not keeping up with all things Mini well enough

Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
It's not up to me, I'm just trying to get you to follow through with your challenge. Do we take this as conceeding...............
I'm following thru right now... i'm allowing you an edge by using the 2.0L over my 1.6L.

I think you guys gave conceeded when you insisted on using the Standalone b/c you can't tune that big SC on the stock ECU

RMW claims to be the best MINI Tuner in the world on the Stock Computer, well, back it up!!! We are changing the SC out with a Turbo charger and we are willing to use the stock ECU, you guys should be happy b/c all the mappings and scaling in there favors the SC setup.

Are you guys conceeding by adding this condition?!?! Are you scared that a turbo MINI can outrun a SC MINI while still running the stock ECU?!?! I see indirect back-peddling here...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
The cars should all have the stock ECU, same displacement, and fairly similar suspension setups and tires.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I'm following thru right now... i'm allowing you an edge by using the 2.0L over my 1.6L.

I think you guys gave conceeded when you insisted on using the Standalone b/c you can't tune that big SC on the stock ECU

RMW claims to be the best MINI Tuner in the world on the Stock Computer, well, back it up!!! We are changing the SC out with a Turbo charger and we are willing to use the stock ECU, you guys should be happy b/c all the mappings and scaling in there favors the SC setup.

Are you guys conceeding by adding this condition?!?! Are you scared that a turbo MINI can outrun a SC MINI while still running the stock ECU?!?! I see indirect back-peddling here...
ROFLMAO........................................... ...

you see what you want to see.... I'll be there.... will you?

my real guess here is this.... the MEMS doesn't work?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
Mike was the one talking big about wiping the floor of a supercharged MINI....

I am bringing what I drive every day

why is everyone so scared of a supercharged MINI all of a sudden?
We will wiped that sc mini with the floor if you keep the competition fair. For claiming to be the best MINI Tuner in the world on the stock computer, why are u scare of running it on your SC Mini... I'm using my stock ECU, why can't u?

So if someone wants to get your upgraded SC kit, they HAVE to buy your 2.0L motor and the STANDALONE computer too? Well, with the ABF Turbo kits, you can run that on the Stock ECU... that's a 8k savings there...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
If this is about one shop's supercharged potential and anothers turbo potential there's two ways to go about this, all things equal and all things fair.
All things Equal:
Both cars entirely stock as they left the showroom floor with similar options and starting weights running the same tires and fuel, one with RMW supercharger and stock ECU, the other with the Mynes turbo and stock ECU, both running the same boost levels.

All things Fair: Basically what a customer would get if he brought an otherwise mostly stock car to the respectvie shops and said put your super/turbocharger kit on this and get me the most power possible, this would allow individual ECUs and even possibly a stroker kit (to be fair Mynes could come up with a stroker turbo car and spool whatever turbo they're running 25% sooner or go larger still with similar amounts of lag)
If this was a test of Evos would you argue about one shop bringing a 2.2/2.3/or 2.4L car to the track against your car or would you just work around that with stock discplacement levels by utilizing the shorter stroke to your advantage?

What I'd like to see:
-registered and street-legal (at least outside of California, I wouldn't want the lack of a CARB sticker to disqualify someone)
-full interior from B-pillar forward to include working AC/climate controls, stereo with at least two speakers, working horn
-standardized tire selection
-same engine discplacement, open to individual shop's ECU/tuning choice
-factory body panels and glass, with the exception of hood scoops or the addition of factory available parts such as the Aero-kit, JCW wind, GP underbody trays, etc.
-Driven to track
-Maximum 116 Octane gasoline
-no nitrous oxide, either injected into engine or used to cool intercooler
-Car must be capable of running on 91 Octane
-immediately after competition cars must be driven to local station and filled with 91 Octane or lower, then driven back to track to prove above.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Intense
I could care less what Mike has done with Evo's. What has he done with a Mini?
I agree. I was making the EVO reference because this whole thing has went from the initial SC vs Turbo post to tuner vs tuner with absolutely no base comparison. Either way we look at it....ANY of the numbers will be skewed.... But as far as to answer your question....and as memory serves me right....Mynes tuned the Mini USA drag car for one. Call me old....I cant remember...anyways, I will check back later. I need a shower...Im still dirty from installing a trans in a Tacoma and I need to take a wicked deuce...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Originally Posted by Partsman
The cars should all have the stock ECU, same displacement, and fairly similar suspension setups and tires.
Why?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
metaltometal
2nd Gear
Quick! Someone call Eurotuner! I want to read about this in a couple months with some glossy pics.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by metaltometal
Quick! Someone call Eurotuner! I want to read about this in a couple months with some glossy pics.
Reminds me of Street Tuner Challenge and we all know how ridiculous that made the Mini out to be....

Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
We will wiped that sc mini with the floor if you keep the competition fair. For claiming to be the best MINI Tuner in the world on the stock computer, why are u scare of running it on your SC Mini... I'm using my stock ECU, why can't u?

So if someone wants to get your upgraded SC kit, they HAVE to buy your 2.0L motor and the STANDALONE computer too? Well, with the ABF Turbo kits, you can run that on the Stock ECU... that's a 8k savings there...

Mike. MIKE.... MIKE.................Here I thought you guys were legitimate

you brag about making 635whp and say you can back it up.... why be scared of a little street driven supercharged car?

are you really that scared? seriously.............

Hubie even says it's not possible to make the hp we do.... so there you have it.... show up and find out.......

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Turbo vs Supercharged MINIs - let's meet at the track, RMW!!!