Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MCS with JCW Power: Can MCS Take It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 AM
StealthTDI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS with JCW Power: Can MCS Take It?

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker who's recently become even more interested in buying a MINI than ever! Buying a MINI for autocrossing is my main draw. But a good performing car for the street is a must as well. I love to mod. My VW diesel came with 90-bhp and 149-lb/ft; but it's modded to 136-whp and 263-lb/ft! (VW drivelines have proven to be able to handle double the stock power) I'll likely keep any MINI stock for most of the warrant period. But the mod bug will compel me to upgrade when parts wear and I'll eventually seek additional RELIABLE power.

I've considered the JCW. But the initial price is a bit steep for the performance gain. I think I can be happy with an MCS and mod from there. I see the MCS can be modded to meet or exceed JCW figures. But the JCW comes with improved head, pistons, turbo, tranny, etc. My question: Are MCS owners with 200+ hp at significant risk of engine damage? At what power point are head, piston, tranny, and/or clutch swaps a must? Also, is the vast majority of extra power to be had only available in the upper RPMs where most spend the least time?

I tried to search for this specific answer. But no joy. I've titled this subject in hopes of making these answers easier for others to find in the future.

Thanks!

Scott

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 AM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Start with a JCW

I think the JCW is the platform to use for extensive mods. Might as well start out with the strongest platform available. Think how much it would cost in parts, labor, and time to upgrade all the structural components in a MCS to JCW standards, plus you start out with 210HP - that's a 35 HP increase over a MCS - guaranteed, tested, reliable, no CELs or fitment problems, etc.

Ultimately the output of the engine is limited by the strength of the castings for the block and heads. The crank and rods are forged and I assume the pistons are also, although I can't remember off the top of my head. Heavy duty castings intended for constant high output, at least for V8s, have thickened ribs and 4 bolt mains. Does anyone, other than MINI/BMW, know what the ultimate strength of the castings are - how much they will handle for how long before failure?

Add to that the inherent limitations of front-wheel drive with high horespower, like torque steer, and one wonders how a 300HP MINI would handle.

I guess we'll have to find where the line is by crossing it, and then stepping back a bit. But that's gonna' be expensive.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
here is my take on it. from what i have heard the jcw has higher compression. meaning in the perfect world, i know there are many differences between heads and such, but lower compression means a potential for more boost down the line. Modding a mini for HP right now is almost useless, until someone cracks the computer we will all not be making enough power. buy a mini either one you get you will be extremly happy. the only things i would look at now, because you want to autocross is suspension. the jcw suspension isnt that great so a MCS and aftermarket coilovers would be a better route in my opinion...its all up to how much money you want to spend to get into the MINI world

Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
here is my take on it. from what i have heard the jcw has higher compression. meaning in the perfect world, i know there are many differences between heads and such, but lower compression means a potential for more boost down the line. Modding a mini for HP right now is almost useless, until someone cracks the computer we will all not be making enough power. buy a mini either one you get you will be extremly happy. the only things i would look at now, because you want to autocross is suspension. the jcw suspension isnt that great so a MCS and aftermarket coilovers would be a better route in my opinion...its all up to how much money you want to spend to get into the MINI world
Yes I agree, and let me clarify my previous post. Get the JWC for the engine with its upgraded ECU. But, like eg0911 says, go aftermarket with the suspension: coilovers and swaybars for the ultimate autoX setup, unless you want to compete on a national level, and then you need the car-of-the-moment to be competetive. IMO

Old 11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna say yes

Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by StealthTDI
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker who's recently become even more interested in buying a MINI than ever! Buying a MINI for autocrossing is my main draw. But a good performing car for the street is a must as well. I love to mod. My VW diesel came with 90-bhp and 149-lb/ft; but it's modded to 136-whp and 263-lb/ft! (VW drivelines have proven to be able to handle double the stock power) I'll likely keep any MINI stock for most of the warrant period. But the mod bug will compel me to upgrade when parts wear and I'll eventually seek additional RELIABLE power.

I've considered the JCW. But the initial price is a bit steep for the performance gain. I think I can be happy with an MCS and mod from there. I see the MCS can be modded to meet or exceed JCW figures. But the JCW comes with improved head, pistons, turbo, tranny, etc. My question: Are MCS owners with 200+ hp at significant risk of engine damage? At what power point are head, piston, tranny, and/or clutch swaps a must? Also, is the vast majority of extra power to be had only available in the upper RPMs where most spend the least time?

I tried to search for this specific answer. But no joy. I've titled this subject in hopes of making these answers easier for others to find in the future.

Thanks!

Scott
Head difference is intake valves, pistons are a bit lower comp, but are they stronger forged??? turbo is a bit bigger you will want a bigger one later on anyways, Trans has same gear ratios as the regular S wondering if just the difference is the differnetial?

In the end what im saying it depends on what your ultimate goal is and how far you want to mod and spend.

Actually its lower by 0.5

Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
StealthTDI
1st Gear
Hello,

Someone told me the MAF is a potential weak point on the MCS... as if it doesn't like excessive airflow from CAI. Coincidentally, I THINK I read days ago the JCW has an uprated MAF. Can anyone confirm this? I have not been able to find my data again (probably a magazine article that may or may not have it right).

Crunching some data, there's $5600 between an MCS and JCW, each configured with what I want as a minimum on each car (nearly identical options except where the JCW has it included). Assuming a goal of 250-hp after the warranty expires, I think I'd need to upgrade the exhaust, clutch, turbo and perhaps the MAF/intake on a MCS but not the JCW. Those expenses on the MCS knocks that $5600 delta down to about to $1600, not including labor. I guess that's the price for a car with no CELs for the first 210-hp?

I'm drifting OT a bit. But I imagine that's okay in my own thread. Anyway, can anyone assist me with focusing my thoughts/goals? What would I realistically need to reach 250-hp on each car (crank is okay)? Oh, I just heard from someone who says a test drive in a 09 JCW did not impress him when compared to his R56 MCS with upgraded air filter, piping, and intercooler (exhaust is stock). Could it be the JCW is only putting the extra power down at the VERY TOP of the band and not so much lower?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
can we source out a MAF from a jcw car? and would it work with no problems haha

so far, HP gains arent so awesome... but every1 is awaiting a godly tune to unlock lots of hp....

im new to mini's, so im still waitin to see what happens

Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is my take on it. from what i have heard the jcw has higher compression. meaning in the perfect world, i know there are many differences between heads and such, but lower compression means a potential for more boost down the line.
The JCW has LOWER compression pistons the the standard S model for that exact reason.

I've been running more power than the JCW for about a year and I haven't had anything blow up yet. That includes a good bit of time bouncing off the rev limiter too.