Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Thanks Alta for the great CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Alta for the great CAI

Well, finally decided to forget the CA law on installing CAI and at least allow myself the enjoy it until SMOG check gets around the corner.

Anyway, as a background intro, I am one of those guys that rarely open the hood...I did decide to install the Alta CAI myself just to see how I can mess up my car and complained my stupidity...with all my luck, I got it INSTALLED last night!! I am already finding reasons to drive my Mini around to hear the BOV-type sound (may be from the removal of sound generator <or de-generator>) and better performance.

The instructions provided are great, though may be there is a level of technical knowledge discrepancy, I was really guessing most of the time. I guess my message is, if I can do it, you can do it too!!

Thanks Alta.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
I´ve just finished installing my Alta CAI and have a few questions:
1. I don´t know if there is something I am missing, I only used three of the four hose clamps (size 48), does it come with an extra one?
2.I also have a cilinder that I don´t know what it´s for.

Here are some pics of the cilinder. Could anybody help me on this please.

Greetings from Mexico.
Attachment 40224

Thanks Alta for the great CAI-dsc03882.jpg

Last edited by sonnysu; 02-19-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
I could be wrong, so definitely don't take my words...I also have these leftover after my installation. I checked with my other friend who also installed Alta CAI on his MCS, same pieces remain.

Well, my car is been running with the CAI for a few months now...it seems that everything is OK so far...well, what do I know?!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
That cylinder is to plug up the sound generator hole that you made by installing the intake, if you did indeed remove it. The clamp is to clamp it in and make sure it doesn't shoot out under boost.

If you removed the sound generator, and did NOT plug it up, I'm sure you would have noticed a significant loss of power! Take off the sound generator... it is a waste of space and time.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
That cylinder is to plug up the sound generator hole that you made by installing the intake, if you did indeed remove it. The clamp is to clamp it in and make sure it doesn't shoot out under boost.

If you removed the sound generator, and did NOT plug it up, I'm sure you would have noticed a significant loss of power! Take off the sound generator... it is a waste of space and time.

I didn´t remove the sound generator, don´t even know what that is.
Could you please explain to me a little bit more about it, What is it and were is it located?
Do I have to remove the intake to do this?
Thanks Noegel for your replay.

Greetings from Mexico

Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
All right... So I finally removed the sound generator, and installed everything again. Here are some pics, just want to be sure I did it the right way.
Thanks everybody for helping me.

Greetings from Mexico.

This is the cylinder pluged up
Attachment 40266

Thanks Alta for the great CAI-dsc03886.jpg

sound generator
Thanks Alta for the great CAI-dsc03888.jpg

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
That's right! Although I can't see the actual cylinder plugged up, I'm assuming you did it right since the generator is removed! Awesome job.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
Thanks Alta for the great CAI-dsc03885.jpg

there you go. thanks Noegel...

Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. I just bought a used Alta CAI and it didn't come with the BOV plug and the nuts and bolts. The nuts and bolts are an easy fix ($2.82 at Ace), but is there some way to remedy the BOV plug situation (i.e., jimmy rig it)? Or should I leave the sound generator on, or see about getting one from Alta or something? Thanks!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
Sorry to hijack this thread. I just bought a used Alta CAI and it didn't come with the BOV plug and the nuts and bolts. The nuts and bolts are an easy fix ($2.82 at Ace), but is there some way to remedy the BOV plug situation (i.e., jimmy rig it)? Or should I leave the sound generator on, or see about getting one from Alta or something? Thanks!
I suggest you leave it, if you have rattles or need space then get one from Alta.
I removed it just because had rattles from the SG.
Enjoy youre CAI.

Greetings from Mexico.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
the sound generator is the BOV, right? i don't want to get rid of it!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
I just left it in there. You can still hear it though. It sounds amazing!

Psssshhht!

I just had a Nissan 350Z and some Jeep try to race me on the interstate a few minutes ago because of that sound. And no I didn't take either of them up on it. I had my nephew in the car.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:17 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
what do you mean you left it in there? you didn't take the sound generator out?
And does it really make it that much louder? i mean i can hear the BOV right now, but i think i'm probably the only one that can. I don't think its loud enough for people to hear it if they are in their cars

Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
No, I didn't take the sound generator out... yet. From what I can tell, the sound generator removal is to make space for the intake. But I got mine to squeeze in there just fine, and no rattling so far. I'm going to call Alta tomorrow and ask them specifically what it does and if it's a necessity or whatnot. I'll keep you updated.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:37 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sonnysu
Enjoy youre CAI.

Greetings from Mexico.
Thanks Sunnysu! I am.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 AM
goofyman
1st Gear
Installed my CAI last night, went fairly easy. Just have one question/concern. i am just worried that the hood scoop will not be as stable after the grill insert is removed. does anyone else have this concern? I guess the blocked holes in the grill could be drilled out and removed.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
I haven't had any problems with mine. But I know at least one person here has dremmeled the blocked holes in the grill. I'm thinking about doing it myself. But for me, it's not really an integrity thing so much as it is a cosmetic thing. I just think it looks better with grill in there.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Well, finally decided to forget the CA law on installing CAI and at least allow myself the enjoy it until SMOG check gets around the corner.
I did the same thing ...I figure when it's due for it's smog I'll switch back to stock. Anyone know if dealers have an issue with CAI's when bringing it in for oil change/regular servicing? If there is even a chance of issue i'll switch back to stock when bringing in for service as well...yet would like to hear from others experience?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
sir5150
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
I did the same thing ...I figure when it's due for it's smog I'll switch back to stock. Anyone know if dealers have an issue with CAI's when bringing it in for oil change/regular servicing? If there is even a chance of issue i'll switch back to stock when bringing in for service as well...yet would like to hear from others experience?
I have a diy cai and diy heatshield and have taken it in for service and the only comment is it looks real good I should sell them. My sa has been real good John at mini of Monrovia.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
sonnysu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by goofyman
Installed my CAI last night, went fairly easy. Just have one question/concern. i am just worried that the hood scoop will not be as stable after the grill insert is removed. does anyone else have this concern? I guess the blocked holes in the grill could be drilled out and removed.
I didn´t take the grill insert out of the hood scoop, does it really makes a big improvement?
Enjoy your CAI goofyman.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
The sound generator is NOT the BOV. I took mine out, and it still PSHHs.

If you really want to unlock your intake, get the boost tubes and the inlet hose. After I installed those, pull was very noticeable increased. Can't wait for the exhaust to come in Wednesday! It's going to be great!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
I have a diy cai and diy heatshield and have taken it in for service and the only comment is it looks real good I should sell them. My sa has been real good John at mini of Monrovia.
-Thanks, Looks like I'll leave it in for the dealership service then and only switch out when doing a smog check. Yet I think new cars are exempt for like 3 years? Mine is a late model 2008 so if I am not mistaken I think I am not due til like 2011? ...anyway, thanks