Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Does anyone own the m7 AGS-R???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
HOW DID YOU FIT THE M7 BRACE! Mine won't fit correctly, it's really pissin me off! Please tell!

Also, anyone with the aerogel, is your aerogel part of the HS touching the turbo or the stock shield? Mine is and was wondering if that is okay. Thanks!
Are you sure you have the right mounting brackets? M7 makes 2 versions, one is specifically designed for the AGS-R. Assuning you have the right brackets, you'll note that the cross brace attaches off-centre. If you have the brackets properly installed, the brace should be towards the BACK of the car. If you put them on backwards it will put the brace towards the front of the car and there won't be enough room.

If this doesn't work, post some pics and I'll see if I can help further.

MMR

Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamescalland
Hi im looking at buying the induction system detailed above. but i have had an induction kit fitted before (k&N) Cone filter. But i found that when i changed gear or put my foot down hard the turbo would be slightly lagging (about 1.5 seconds) which really annoyed me coz the stock intake system has basically no lag that was noticeable. So i do wanna buy this system but i dont want any lag just a power gain preferably bottom end? And tried and tested reviews and opinions??

Regards
Turbo chargers are driven by the exhaust system. Turbo lag is the time required to bring the turbo up to a speed with exhaust gases where it can function effectively. I am not sure how a CAI would impact on this.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
jamescalland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by myminirox
Turbo chargers are driven by the exhaust system. Turbo lag is the time required to bring the turbo up to a speed with exhaust gases where it can function effectively. I am not sure how a CAI would impact on this.
Ok i obviously didnt explain my question properly. I have an R56 cooper S and i have before replaced the stock panel filter (a K&N cone filter). Now as we all know this cone filter is not pressurized just an of the shelf item, and i have known many other owners to have tried the same mod. But i found that when this filter was installed everytime i would put my foot on the accelerator i would here the turbo spool up and there would be a degree of extra lag in throtlle response over standard, also when i engaged the clutch to change gear i would again hear the turbo spool up and again there would be a degree of decreased response from the engine/turbo. Now as i previously asked does this same decreased response happen with the M7 induction system. OR because the system is pressurized to a degree does this stop the decreased response/lag that has been experianced from others and myself in the past???

Sorry for not explaining correctly the first time around, and maybe using the wrong expressions in my analagy. But this question is aimed at actual owners of the m7 system.

Hopefully this explanation is easier to understand "myminirox".

Regards.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Are you sure you have the right mounting brackets? M7 makes 2 versions, one is specifically designed for the AGS-R. Assuning you have the right brackets, you'll note that the cross brace attaches off-centre. If you have the brackets properly installed, the brace should be towards the BACK of the car. If you put them on backwards it will put the brace towards the front of the car and there won't be enough room.

If this doesn't work, post some pics and I'll see if I can help further.

MMR

MMR, thats what you get when your too excited and install something at 2am! I didn't even think to install it the other way with the brace facing the back of the car. Redid it today because I went away for a few days. Works perfctly, still a tight fit, but no noise or rattle. I love this thing and my exhuast is way more audible now as well as the intake. I'm not sure if it ties in to the install, but I can deff hear more sound from the back. Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jamescalland
Ok i obviously didnt explain my question properly. I have an R56 cooper S and i have before replaced the stock panel filter (a K&N cone filter). Now as we all know this cone filter is not pressurized just an of the shelf item, and i have known many other owners to have tried the same mod. But i found that when this filter was installed everytime i would put my foot on the accelerator i would here the turbo spool up and there would be a degree of extra lag in throtlle response over standard, also when i engaged the clutch to change gear i would again hear the turbo spool up and again there would be a degree of decreased response from the engine/turbo. Now as i previously asked does this same decreased response happen with the M7 induction system. OR because the system is pressurized to a degree does this stop the decreased response/lag that has been experianced from others and myself in the past???

Sorry for not explaining correctly the first time around, and maybe using the wrong expressions in my analagy. But this question is aimed at actual owners of the m7 system.

Hopefully this explanation is easier to understand "myminirox".

Regards.
I own the m7 AGS-R and finally got to install and drive with it today quite a bit. However, I never once noticed Turbo lag. It is a smooth transition through the gears, smoother in fact than my previous system which was still a foam filter. I love it and would highly recommend it. Your thoughts MMR?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
I own the m7 AGS-R and finally got to install and drive with it today quite a bit. However, I never once noticed Turbo lag. It is a smooth transition through the gears, smoother in fact than my previous system which was still a foam filter. I love it and would highly recommend it. Your thoughts MMR?
It is a spectacular intake, period. The "knock out" sound ports are a lot of fun!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Did you have it painted, or stick with the gel-coat? If painted, how do you like the results, and would you please post some pix?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Did you have it painted, or stick with the gel-coat? If painted, how do you like the results, and would you please post some pix?
I have not painted it only because of a couple of reasons. My MINI is AB/B and painting it wouldn't make that big of a difference colorwise. Secondly, the intake came in great shape. I might eventually do it, but as of now, I'm going to save the money for other parts on my car.

I'll ask my paint guy tomorrow how much it will cost to add it in with the other chrome trim they are painting this week. If its under 200.00 than I will most likely have them do it. If so, I will post pics.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
I have not painted it only because of a couple of reasons. My MINI is AB/B and painting it wouldn't make that big of a difference colorwise. Secondly, the intake came in great shape. I might eventually do it, but as of now, I'm going to save the money for other parts on my car.

I'll ask my paint guy tomorrow how much it will cost to add it in with the other chrome trim they are painting this week. If its under 200.00 than I will most likely have them do it. If so, I will post pics.

Sounds good!

Speaking of sound, how do you like popping the ports? Cool, eh?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Yeah so I'm a dummy and forgot to ask...very angry. Now I won't know until Monday when I have to give it to them for a couple days....while I get some crappy Toyota as a rental . I could always call, yes, but they have to physically see it to make an estimate. Lets put it this way...they charged me for prep and paint for the Vortex, 150.00, but knocked it down to 80.00 because of the other work I had in the package. I would assume it would be priced in and around 180.00 to 210.00 for paint. I will let everyone know on Monday.

I haven't really played with it yet, but the idea of the ports is real cool! I going to have to see what happens with the sound after playing with it for awhile. Currently, I have them all open.

Recently, I had an issue. The driver side bolt into the HS somehow knocked the nut loose that it screwed into and would not loosen or tighten, leaving to spin within itself and be stuck inside the nut. I know kinda hard to picture. I had to then take a saw zaw, cut the bolt in half and bend and break the corner of the stock HS to get the bolt out. A real pain, but works still the same. Not a problem when the m7 stuff, I think the nut in the stock HS was just faulty, as the passenger side was perfect. Anyways, problem solved and I love the AGS-R!!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear

I haven't really played with it yet, but the idea of the ports is real cool! I going to have to see what happens with the sound after playing with it for awhile. Currently, I have them all open.
Peter told me that we'll get the best performance (HP and torque) if we close off the driver's side port and leave the other 2 open. Try that!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
MMR, thanks! Will do when I get home!

Have you noticed a difference?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
MMR, thanks! Will do when I get home!

Have you noticed a difference?
Personally, the biggest difference I noticed came from doing the mod. Opening the ports hasn't made much difference that I can note, but I have yet to really put it through it's paces as I've just been doing city driving since the mod.

I DO notice the sound difference. With all the ports closed it sounds just a little louder than stock, but with them opened......... well, you know!!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Yeah, what I meant was the difference in sound from the one closed port and the 2 opened ones. Anyways, I mean I have to admit...I loved my ALTA CAI, but wow, this thing is light years better! I feel so much more power and pull and I might be crazy, but my exhaust is louder and my butt dyno is very, very happy!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
1-10 what do you give the m7??
1-10 what do you give the alta?? =]

Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
9 for the m7, 8 for the ALTA..

m7 gets a 9 for the price and the added effort needed to pant if yours doesn't look good from the shop...

ALTA gets an 8 for incompatibility with a strut brace and the rattles and noises from the Heat Shield.

Both GREAT systems in terms of what they do and suppose to do. Would recommend both, seeing as how I have/had both.

Of course, these are my ratings based on my experiences. Motor On!