Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Helix Stepped Core Intercooler - Real testing, Real results

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Ralph@Helix
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helix Stepped Core Intercooler - Real testing, Real results

Updated initial post with more info

Originally Posted by Mark@Helix
Helix R56 Stepped Core Intercooler

Core Design
Prior to the 335i and the R56 Mini stepped core design you had the option to either go Taller or thicker with the cores. In my design process I measured the captive areas in the front of the bumper in both depth and height and went about designing an intercooler that took up all of this area. The end result is an intercooler with 53% more frontal area as well as 50% more core volume. now about the core, we were not constrained to an off the shelf core in regards to ambient and internal fin count as we custom spec'd the core to this application. the core in the Helix FMIC is a single unit stacked up to our specifications in regards to ambient and charge row height and internal and external fin count. since our core has more volume I could increase the internal fin count to remove more temperature and still meet the targeted air flow and pressure drop for this application. as you see by the AIT data logs the intercooler works amazingly well.

Endank design- all endtanks are not created equally, air likes to flow in a smooth curved radius as you can see the Helix FMIC has rounded endtanks that are cast.

Install:
Fits in stock location- YES
requires no cutting,removal and/or permanent modification- Yes

Design:
More core volume than stock- Yes 50%
More Ambient face than stock- Yes 53%
More charge rows than stock(5)- Yes 12
Bar and Plate construction- Yes

Performance:

STOCK turbo outlet temperature 245 degrees F(estimated using a 65 degree ambient and 65% compressor efficiency at 15 psi
Temp drop from 245f to 111f(peak temp) in 4th gear run = -134f degree drop

HELIX TEST turbo outlet temperature 253 degrees F(estimated using a 71 degree ambient and 65% compressor efficiency at 15 psi
Temp drop from 253f to 89f(peak) in 4th gear run = -164f degree drop, 21% better cooling than stock

AIT temp- 30 degree drop over stock
pre and post intercooler temp drop- 164 degrees F
Intercooler efficiency- 80% - 21% improvement in efficiency over stock(59%)
Core pressure drop spec is .5psi at 250hp(400cfm) airflow

Installed

Attached Thumbnails Helix Stepped Core Intercooler - Real testing, Real results-3rd-gear-temps-.jpg   Helix Stepped Core Intercooler - Real testing, Real results-4th-gear-temps.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph@Helix; 01-05-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Charts didn't show up 1st go-round...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphHelix
The Helix Stepped Intercooler design has a bigger frontal ambient face combined with thicker-than-stock core that seals off to the radiator fan/shroud. The cast end tanks have factory mounting points and factory charge pipe angles. The core of the Helix Stepped Intercooler has increased fin density and will flow 250 horsepower with only a 0.5PSI pressure drop. That translates to cooler intake temperatures with a slight reduction in pressure.

Here are two graphs showing you the results from the data logging of our stock R56, then with only the Helix Stepped Intercooler installed. We think you will be impressed with the performance improvements!

Both graphs compare intake manifold temperatures between the stock intercooler (dang stock piece looks like a small toaster oven!) versus the Helix Stepped Intercooler (jumbo air-cooling surface area!). The first graph shows the intake air temperature changes as we performed a 3rd gear roll-on at wide-open-throttle. The second graph shows the intake air temperature changes as we performed a 4th gear roll-on at wide-open-throttle.

With this intercooler, under high-performance driving your R56 will be less prone to heat-soak, leading to increased performance and sustained power. The Helix Stepped Intercooler will be a perfect upgrade especially combined with a GIAC reflash.

Pricing??

Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Are there supposed to be pix and graphs in your post? I don't even see red x's.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
i got the red x's

sounds interesting though

Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TBMINI
i got the red x's

sounds interesting though

Same here with the red....XX

So form your post I gather there is no cutting involved just revome the stock and bolt the helix unit in.... Any dimensions on the core???

Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ralphHelix
The Helix Stepped Intercooler will be a perfect upgrade especially combined with a GIAC reflash.
is the GIAC reflash even available yet? i skimmed through an old GIAC thread, but last time i checked it had not been released.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
btw...

1/3 of the way down the page...

http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/engine-intake

Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
sfkarp
Neutral
Dos this translate to any HP increase with a stock car? Or is it for when you have raised the boost level?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Ralph@Helix
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fongaroos
is the GIAC reflash even available yet? i skimmed through an old GIAC thread, but last time i checked it had not been released.
Yes the reflash is available . It is $625. You can stop by the shop to get this done or if you're too far you can send in your DME. We have a 24hr turnaround time

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
625 for the GIAC ? How much for the intercooler ??
THANKS !!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Hmm intercoolers never get me excited, but I kinda like this....

Hope pricing is good.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Rob@Helix
Vendor
Reply to sizing and pricing

The Helix Stepped Intercooler is a direct fit bolt on - installation will involve removal of the R56's front air dam, then removal of stock intercooler. Next secure the new intercooler, and remount the front air dam. No cutting, drilling or other modifications needed. It's a clean fit. No ECU flags or error codes...just cooler intake air.

It gives a slick look too, whether you keep the stock lower air grill (just a slight hint of something lurking beneath your R56 MCS) or use an aftermarket one that shows more of the intercooler!

We did not dyno test, therefore don't have HP/Torque data...Our data did clearly show much cooler intake manifold air temperatures, especially from mid- to high-RPM ranges. The Helix Stepped Intercooler will make little HP difference as a single aftermarket improvement, but is valuable when adding increased boost pressure! Other valuable benefits from the extra cooling for your R56 include: experiencing less HP power-drain on hot days (summer), cooler engine temps, and improved cylinder detonation thresholds (meaning that the R56 ECU will not retard ignition timing as soon).

This was our final testing on the Helix Stepped Intercooler, and pricing will be available shortly...Look out for our next announcement! Thanks for checking it out!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
can we hope to hit below the 700.xx mark ??? That would be a sure buy for me !

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
dnor72
1st Gear
Is there a specific GIAC tune developed for a car with the intercooler or is the GIAC tune the same as would be flashed onto the car without the intercooler?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
minipete07
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dnor72
Is there a specific GIAC tune developed for a car with the intercooler or is the GIAC tune the same as would be flashed onto the car without the intercooler?
2ND THAT...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:05 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Any plans for a "stealth" black one?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto
Indeed, whereas I don't want to take away from the amount of time & resources (which add up to $$$) that were involved in developing this great FMIC, I am sure there are many of us that would give it a lot more consideration if it were priced more reasonably (<$500) than the others out there.

I would love to have a better flowing/cooling FMIC as (1) I live in NE TX so 90-100F right now (2) I have the Unichip so can take advantage of the better flow & cooling capabilities.

This is not a "bling" item for me, it is a functional item so must be worth buying.
At $700 a new FMIC is seriously overpriced and more for someone almost 1/2 my age with $$$ to burn on "bling"

Last edited by ukaussi; 07-24-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto
I'm with you!

Never considered getting an intercooler, but like what Helix has done with this. If the price was cheaper than the other outrageously priced IC's...then you'd really have me on board.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
mnimule
3rd Gear
I 2nd all that depending on the price im in!!! Do I smell a group buy forming here....?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
I've never done a group buy before but if that means a bunch of us order at the same time or one person does and we all distribute from there, and then we get much better prices ? ... mm... might have to be in on that !

Old 07-28-2008, 09:22 PM
mitemini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you guys are smoking serious crack if you think this is going to be under $700 even on a group buy. But I hope Helix proves me wrong.

Even on that note I'd love to see it FINALLY come out, I'd be in the market for one.

You gotta pay to play boys.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
I want to know who and how many of you would be intrested in a group buy for this FMIC....? If we got a better price than retail....?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Ralph@Helix
Former Vendor
The Helix Stepped Core Intercooler is now available folks!
No need for a group buy since we're offering it at an introductory price of $679

http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/engine-intake

Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 AM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
How about engineering data?

Real testing, real results - how abouts real specs?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Helix Stepped Core Intercooler - Real testing, Real results