Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Must-Have Mods: R56

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
trojanman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must-Have Mods: R56

OK, so I am starting with a virgin R56. I have the factory sport suspension already, and I will never track my car. I simply want some faster straight line speed, perhaps moderately better handling (but nothing super-wazoo), and a more aggressive sound.

I was thinking:
1. Cold Air Intake
2. Turbo Back Exhaust
3. ECU/PnP Module

My finalists for the CAI are Alta or M7. Alta has the price advantage, but M7 claims it is a better design. I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference either way.

For Turbo Back (per my other thread), it's Alta, Milltek, RMW, WMW. My preference is towards RMW primarily because they are local and because they appear to have one of the coolest looking setups. That being said, RMW is still at least a few weeks away from doing anything.

As everyone knows, computer choices are a bit limited at the moment. I like the idea of the PnP module from Alta, though Unichip has a great European heritage. Any comments on this?

I really apologize for starting a million "best of" threads, but the simple truth is that my past threads have 10 people chime in saying WHAT they have, but no one says WHY they have it. The only people who try to convince me something is worth buying is the vendor of that item. I'd love to have some independent thoughts and reviews for once.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
trojanman
2nd Gear
*Edit - I just noticed that Unichip makes the Alta ECU. Is the one sold by M7 any different than Alta's?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently there is a suspension mod that makes a huge difference!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by trojanman
OK, so I am starting with a virgin R56. I have the factory sport suspension already, and I will never track my car. I simply want some faster straight line speed, perhaps moderately better handling (but nothing super-wazoo), and a more aggressive sound.

I was thinking:
1. Cold Air Intake
2. Turbo Back Exhaust
3. ECU/PnP Module

My finalists for the CAI are Alta or M7. Alta has the price advantage, but M7 claims it is a better design. I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference either way.

For Turbo Back (per my other thread), it's Alta, Milltek, RMW, WMW. My preference is towards RMW primarily because they are local and because they appear to have one of the coolest looking setups. That being said, RMW is still at least a few weeks away from doing anything.

As everyone knows, computer choices are a bit limited at the moment. I like the idea of the PnP module from Alta, though Unichip has a great European heritage. Any comments on this?

I really apologize for starting a million "best of" threads, but the simple truth is that my past threads have 10 people chime in saying WHAT they have, but no one says WHY they have it. The only people who try to convince me something is worth buying is the vendor of that item. I'd love to have some independent thoughts and reviews for once.
I would definitely add a set of springs to your list. I too have the stock sport suspension and do not track my car, but they difference that the springs made was huge, so much better to drive. I have the Mach V's, they are stiff...but not too stiff in my opinion. Oh, and lowering an R56 makes it look sooo much better.

My thoughts on your options:

1) CAI - I have the DDM Works Street intake. Reason being, it is priced how a CAI should be priced. They also didn't make rediculous marketing claims that the "Alpha Numeric" tuner makes. I like Alta, but the DDM does essentially the same thing and it's $100 cheaper. I also like the box design that the DDM utilizes. I originally had the DIY K&N intake directly on the MAF and I just switched over to the DDM...the car drives and accelerates MUCH smoother with the DDM, and its not as obnoxious.

2) Good choice on the exhaust. I have seen the prototype in person and it looks really nice. RMW is going to be GREAT!

3) If you feel the need for more power right now, then get the Alta UniChip. I however, will not be purchasing one as I feel there will be much better options in the near future. I don't like the idea of a piggyback and I do not like the amount of boost that it runs...some people are peaking at 21+ psi. Sure its only for a few seconds, but the way I drive....I'd be boosting that quite often. This is just my opinion, and I don't feel comfortable with it. To answer your question about the M7 version vs the Alta, I'm not positive but I believe they utilize different tuning.

GIAC seems like a safe option at the moment. It's a flash and the boost isn't as high as UniChip's, but they have still gotten pretty good numbers out of it. I personally am holding off till Dimsport releases their R56 tuning software, and Jan can work his magic on it then!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:12 PM
trojanman
2nd Gear
Back from my Porsche/Audi days I was always taught that running new springs only (not full coilovers) is a B-A-D way to do business. Choppy ride and shock rates that don't match the springs.

I would possibly entertain a set of coilovers; the hardware isn't very expensive, but to have them properly installed and corner balanced could easily double the cost.

As for piggyback vs. full flash - I was told BMW/MINI is cracking down hardcore on ECU modders and voiding any warranty related to failures caused by the ECU. I am also told they are actively searching for ECU mods every time their computer hooks up to the car. That's why I like the piggyback idea. Any feedback on that part?

*also - as for boost up to 21#, I agree that is quite high, but I am a conservative driver. I doubt I will push the car past 5,000 RPM more than a couple times a week.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Back from my Porsche/Audi days I was always taught that running new springs only (not full coilovers) is a B-A-D way to do business. Choppy ride and shock rates that don't match the springs.

I would possibly entertain a set of coilovers; the hardware isn't very expensive, but to have them properly installed and corner balanced could easily double the cost.

As for piggyback vs. full flash - I was told BMW/MINI is cracking down hardcore on ECU modders and voiding any warranty related to failures caused by the ECU. I am also told they are actively searching for ECU mods every time their computer hooks up to the car. That's why I like the piggyback idea. Any feedback on that part?

*also - as for boost up to 21#, I agree that is quite high, but I am a conservative driver. I doubt I will push the car past 5,000 RPM more than a couple times a week.
Yes, in general it is bad on some cars to run springs only. However, from what I have learned on here, it is ok to do on the MINI (still debated by some though). There is a thread on the suspension forum about it, I tried looking for it for you but cannot seem to find it. Ryephile shared a lot of useful information about running lowering springs on the R56, and I suggest finding it if you can. Also, the ride is fantastic and handles much better than when my car was using the stock springs...that's what matters to me. If you want to spend the money on coilover's then by all means do so! It is by far the best option, but $$$. I hear the Cross coilovers for the R56 are godly.

About BMW cracking down on ECU tuning...I don't know. It was just a rumor that it was going to happen in the future. If you are worried then ya, the piggyback seems like a no-brainer. However, it has been said that they will be able to tell even if a piggyback has been used. It would be a risk I am willing to take though, plus I have a feeling it is going to be dealer dependent on whether or not they hassle you. The 2 dealers I use are very mod friendly. Plus, they can't simply void your entire warranty because you have a flash. It has to cause something to fail. Say if you blow a turbo, and they knew you had a flash...well that turbo most likely isn't going to be covered. This happens often in the Audi world...with cars like the 2.7TT and 1.8T motors. Most of the time though, by the time something happens or breaks your car is out of warranty anyway.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brakes pads, shocks, tires are a must have.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd suggest the suspension first.. H&Rs if you're on a budget, good rubber, lightweight forged alloys if you can afford it.

Engine management, CAI and intake secondary. :-)

Also, if you really want to wait a little, some of the vendors are coming out with new (larger) intercoolers and larger turbos to match engine management software.

I know Helix has that in the pipeline now - I've driven the R56 with the normal turbo, bigger intercooler and GIAC software and it feels faster than my JCW R56 (stage 1).

Not sure what Alta has planned.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
trojanman
2nd Gear
Keep in mind my original comment: I will never track my car. This is purely for butt dyno and freeway passing.

Yes, I understand that suspension will make the biggest difference on the track, but since I won't be driving on the track, it's my last priority.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
Hi Trojanman,

I don't plan to track my Mini either and chose to install the following on my '08 MCSa in order:

1) DDMWorks R56 Street Intake & DDMWorks R56 RAS (Ram Air Scoop).

The RAS bypasses the hot air around the engine utilizing the functional hood scoop channelling the colder, outside air directly to the intake. Dremelled the stock scoop for better flow.
The street intake is free-flowing without the restrictive stock box and provides more surface area for filtering. Also, works well in conjuction with the RAS.

2) Went with the Magnaflow system.

The dual 4 inch double-walled brushed aluminum tips look awesome!! I noticed an immediate decrease in spool time for the turbo and my "seat of the pants" dyno tells me I've increased HP and TQ!! Sounds GREAT!!

3) Alta 19mm Rear Sway Bar.

This was an easy although somewhat time-consuming install which made an immediate difference in handling. Turns in much easier rather than plowing the nose into the turn. I would highly recommend it!

4) Alta Performance UNICHIP.

Even though I'm not tracking my Mini, a piggyback-style Unichip will allow me to define performance specific to the mods I have installed giving the maximum "bang for the buck" from those mods. BTW, Alta has the Unichip on summer sale now for $549.99 (Save $200!). So far, this mod has made the most difference in performance.

5) Alta Boost Tube Kit and Turbo Inlet Hose

I've installed the Boost Tube Kit. Waiting on the Turbo Inlet Hose. Haven't noticed any increase in noise after removing the Boost Tube Muffler.

To come:

My Vortex Scoop
Motegi SP-10 or maybe Rota 17"X7.5" in flat black
Performance Tires > Any Suggestions???

Last edited by Mini Bo Bini; 07-16-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Warranty, Warranty, Warranty...

You can always do your exteror first; blackout, racing stripes, grill badges, lights, wheels, tires, etc...

You can do the interior first also: V1 Detector, NUVI, Satellite Radio, etc...

CAI isn't a big warranty problem and maybe the exhaust isn't either. I wouldn't mess with the ECU. There is a thread in here about a custom exhaust using the magnaflow with prices under $400.

My wife wants the JCW Tuning Kit for warranty purposes.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
Apparently there is a suspension mod that makes a huge difference!!!
Yes, changing the front control arm bushings brings the R56 back to the land of happiness. ALTA's PSRS or Madness' polyurethane are both 1 billion times better than the horrible might-as-well-not-be-even-there stock bushings.

If I was in your shoes the control arm bushings are first on the list. You simply can't bother yourself going quicker until the steering/torque steer/misalignment issue is fixed.

Here's my list of "must have" mods for the R56; using my experience to-date:

#1) Front control arm bushings
#2) Coilovers [or lowering springs if you're on a budget][whatever, just get the car off the factory stilts
#3) Wheel and tires that don't suck ['lite' wheels and sticky rubber]
#4) Turbo-back exhaust and/or JCW Engine Tuning Kit

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
sgachko
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Yes, changing the front control arm bushings brings the R56 back to the land of happiness. ALTA's PSRS or Madness' polyurethane are both 1 billion times better than the horrible might-as-well-not-be-even-there stock bushings.

If I was in your shoes the control arm bushings are first on the list. You simply can't bother yourself going quicker until the steering/torque steer/misalignment issue is fixed.

Here's my list of "must have" mods for the R56; using my experience to-date:

#1) Front control arm bushings
#2) Coilovers [or lowering springs if you're on a budget][whatever, just get the car off the factory stilts
#3) Wheel and tires that don't suck ['lite' wheels and sticky rubber]
#4) Turbo-back exhaust and/or JCW Engine Tuning Kit

Cheers,
Ryan
I don't mean to steer off topic but what is the benefit of front control arm bushings...which one's would you recommend? I started my mods off with new performance tires, lighter wheels and eibach springs...I also purchased the DDM street intake but haven't installed it yet...I'm looking into turbo back exhausts next....

Thanks!

Steve

Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Fellow R56'er Vincent PM'd me just a bit ago on the very same issue. I hope he doesn't mind me posting the same reply I sent to him here!

The NVH [noise, vibration, harshness] added with spherical bearings is minimal compared to the rest of the suspension pieces [especially compared to rear control arms!]. If NVH is of any significant concern I'd suggest the poly pieces from Madness [or Powerflex]. Fellow suspension guru meb has used Powerflex poly bushings for a very long time [perhaps 80k miles or so] and still loves them to death.

Whether you choose ALTA's solid PSRS's or Madness/Powerflex's polyurethane pieces comes down to your preferences. If you want to add some anti-dive and/or caster then the PSRS's are your only answer. If you want to minimize the amount of NVH added to your ride, then the polyurethane pieces are you only answer.

Cheers,
Ryan
P.S. Sorry to jack the topic but I feel it's very important to know that there is hope out there for the R56 to feel as amazing to drive as the R53!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by inimini2007
You can always do your exteror first; blackout, racing stripes, grill badges, lights, wheels, tires, etc...

You can do the interior first also: V1 Detector, NUVI, Satellite Radio, etc...

CAI isn't a big warranty problem and maybe the exhaust isn't either. I wouldn't mess with the ECU. There is a thread in here about a custom exhaust using the magnaflow with prices under $400.

My wife wants the JCW Tuning Kit for warranty purposes.

Well we have the best of both worlds...My dad has a stage 1 JCW, and I have the aftermarket....my DDM street is AMAZING, and it doesnt touch the warranty...I have WMW turboback exhaust and I couldnt be more thrilled...TOTALLY differnt car all together
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=144164

go to the thread above for sound clips...even with the WMW exhaust it still wont touch warranty, unless there is STICKTLY an exhaust problem....and to be honest, my car with NO ECU upgrade is now faster than my dad's '08 works car...very a lot of power can be made without touching the warranty, not to mention if Way does it himself, he guarantees everything he does or he takes car of it....just goes to show you dont HAVE to go JCW if that's not what exactly you want...it's nice, and I LOVE my dad's car, but I wouldnt trade mine in any day for it

Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Bo Bini
Even though I'm not tracking my Mini, a piggyback-style Unichip will allow me to define performance specific to the mods I have installed giving the maximum "bang for the buck" from those mods.
IMO Unichips are a very halfassed solution, nothing I'd want to go with unless I needed a solution *now*. Maybe the r56 responds differently but I had a Unichip for my MY02 WRX for a few years and it was less than ideal: partial throttle closed loop issues, and a jerky crossover were pretty unrewarding. Even after having it dynotuned it was still a bit frustrating; I had much better results with ECU flashes a few years later. My experience was very common, you can't give Unichips away for Subaru's anymore. YMMV.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by greystone
IMO Unichips are a very halfassed solution, nothing I'd want to go with unless I needed a solution *now*. Maybe the r56 responds differently but I had a Unichip for my MY02 WRX for a few years and it was less than ideal: partial throttle closed loop issues, and a jerky crossover were pretty unrewarding. Even after having it dynotuned it was still a bit frustrating; I had much better results with ECU flashes a few years later. My experience was very common, you can't give Unichips away for Subaru's anymore. YMMV.
You sir have hit the nail on the head!!!

If you really want the power now, then get the UniChip. People are so impulsive and impatient though. There will be much better options in the future I'm sure. And much like you said about Subies...you can't give a UniChip away now for an R53 either. My guess is that the R56 will follow that lead in the future...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
trojanman
2nd Gear
First, a Unichip for an R53 would not nearly be as useful as an R56. Superchargers are simply not nearly as affected by computer programming modifications as turbos.

Secondly, ECU tuning in general is a VERY effective tuning tool for practically any turbo vehicle. Just ask any Audi, VW, or Porsche forced induction owner. My last turbo, a 997TT, got at least a 50HP gain just from ECU re-flash. Yes, that is a dyno proven and very common result. Why wouldn't similar, though proportional, results hold true for the R56?

Now, I am in no way defending Unichip as a brand - merely ECU tuning for turbo induction cars in general.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
First, a Unichip for an R53 would not nearly be as useful as an R56. Superchargers are simply not nearly as affected by computer programming modifications as turbos.

Secondly, ECU tuning in general is a VERY effective tuning tool for practically any turbo vehicle. Just ask any Audi, VW, or Porsche forced induction owner. My last turbo, a 997TT, got at least a 50HP gain just from ECU re-flash. Yes, that is a dyno proven and very common result. Why wouldn't similar, though proportional, results hold true for the R56?

Now, I am in no way defending Unichip as a brand - merely ECU tuning for turbo induction cars in general.
We are not talking about ECU tuning for turbo cars in general. I'm well aware of the gains...I've had an Audi, and have been around the Audi/VW/Porsche tuning scene quite a bit.

We were just saying that the UniChip solution of a piggyback is not up to its full potential as far as ECU tuning options go. This is just the opinion of myself and those that have agreed. Yes, the UniChip for the R53 would not give the gains that it does for the R56. But keep in mind RMW and his dyno tunes...they are making HUGE gains for an ECU tune on a supercharged car. Imagine what they can do with a fully, properly tuned R56 ECU...time will tell though. I for one will be holding out for these sort of options.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
provofam
2nd Gear
Well I just ordered my first mods (waiting patiently). I've heard too many good things about Alta and decided to go with their CAI, Turbo Back Exhaust (sans downpipe) and their PNP (summer price special just seemed too good to pass up for me). I am new to the whole tuner scene but I wanted to add some horsepower and I like what I've read about them. I do drive somewhat aggressive but my R56 is my fun car and not my daily driver. I appreciate all of the feedback these forums generate it is very informative. Happy motoring and hopefully I'll meet some of you at the MTTS in Chicago

Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
Provofam,

You won't regret getting the UniChip from Alta. I took advantage of the summer special as well!

I just got my Magnaflow exhaust with dual 4" tips installed Monday. Along with the few other mods I've done, the results was well worth the $ spent. My MCSa has MUCH more go from dead stop, accelerates very hard, and SOUNDS great!

Since YOU are the one deciding your mods, go with what your research shows is the best bang-for-the-buck. I did and couldn't be happier with the results.

Only thing left are lighter wheels and better tires.

Good luck!!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
Location: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Type-r sticker but they are hard to find these days.

If you have a local vendor i would go with him, usually you can get a deal for repeat business and personalised service too.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Astro S
2nd Gear
My mods in order;

1-Light weight wheels, non-runflat tires.
2-H&R coilovers lowering the car about 1"
3-Alta cat-back and CAI

Very happy with everything so far. No complaints or issues.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
HANDLER
Neutral
Track Days?

Keep in mind my original comment: I will never track my car. This is purely for butt dyno and freeway passing.

Yes, I understand that suspension will make the biggest difference on the track, but since I won't be driving on the track, it's my last priority.
Why do a lot of folks say they would not do Track Days. That is the reason I bought the the 07 R56. Put on a set of Bridgestone-Potenza, size;205/45R17,88. And you have it for track days or do it on the on the back roads, I prefer both.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
BrandonT
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HANDLER
Why do a lot of folks say they would not do Track Days. That is the reason I bought the the 07 R56. Put on a set of Bridgestone-Potenza, size;205/45R17,88. And you have it for track days or do it on the on the back roads, I prefer both.
Risk.

Well, that and to define their choice of compromise. I'm an experienced track nut, licensed NASA TT'er. As I progressed and dialed in my car (GTI, now CRX) it became less and less streetable. There is no compromising between ultimate track performance and street ability. What works for one doesn't work for the other. You can kid yourself into thinking it will (I did for a while), but it won't. A true 'track' setup will drive you nuts on the street. And a reasonable set up for street will get clobbered at the track. So I think a statement about intentions means everything. If you are going to TRY to do both be prepared to lose somewhere.

Of course, some idea of local roads also helps. Anyone living above the frostbelt and eligible to be president (ahem) is going to need some sidewall and compliance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Must-Have Mods: R56