Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Can anyone help identify my CEL codes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help identify my CEL codes?

Hello I have a 2008 MCS, I have done the alta CAI, alta Cat Back, and the Unichip piggy back system. I have been getting engine codes for the past few days. First four days ago it almost dies on the freeway I cleared the codes before writing them down. Then three days ago the same thing happened and I did write down the codes before I cleared them. p1497, p0120, p0121,P0221.

I cleared the codes then went on my way. then yesturday the car died alltogether on the freeway. I removed the unichip and it is fine. So after I went home I took the unichip wiring harnes and all out and put it back on and it ran fine. Then today it ran fine on the way to work.. but when i got in it at lunch it threw a ton of lights, the DSC light, the check engine light in yellow, the picture of the car on a lift, so i shut it down and restarted it and checked the codes and it has a p3202 code. does anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chip has been known to cause bogus code callouts. It is likely the codes don't point to the actual problem. If it runs fine without the chip call up Adam so they can send you a new one.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chakraj
Hello I have a 2008 MCS, I have done the alta CAI, alta Cat Back, and the Unichip piggy back system. I have been getting engine codes for the past few days. First four days ago it almost dies on the freeway I cleared the codes before writing them down. Then three days ago the same thing happened and I did write down the codes before I cleared them. p1497, p0120, p0121,P0221.

I cleared the codes then went on my way. then yesturday the car died alltogether on the freeway. I removed the unichip and it is fine. So after I went home I took the unichip wiring harnes and all out and put it back on and it ran fine. Then today it ran fine on the way to work.. but when i got in it at lunch it threw a ton of lights, the DSC light, the check engine light in yellow, the picture of the car on a lift, so i shut it down and restarted it and checked the codes and it has a p3202 code. does anyone have any ideas?
P0120: Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction
P0121: Throttle Position Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0221: Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem

This code came up, but codes that don't begin in P0 are typically model specific, so it may or may not be accurate...
P1497: EGR Valve Motor Coil '2' Open or Shorted

Couldn't find anything on P3202

Tampering with the ECU Signals is a great way to confuse the hell out of the ECU and make it flip out (And throw codes, make the car run weird, etc). I'm a firm believer in flash tunes over piggybacks. Never had good luck with piggyback tunes.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:31 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
can I flash back to stock for warranty work?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chakraj
can I flash back to stock for warranty work?
What's on the car now? The dealer can't really tell there's a tune on the car, they don't look at that portion of the ECU for code reading.

Edit: Whoops, forgot you have a Unichip. The answer is yes, you can reflash it to stock, but it'd be silly to flash and reflash the car every time. Like I said, it's nearly impossible to tell there's an aftermarket tune on the car, it's written to the eprom slot in the same location as the stock tune. The only way they'd know is if they took the tune off and compared it to stock.

Even then, it'd just look different than stock, there's really no way to "Prove" that you flashed it. A bigger concern is the dealer overwriting the flash if they have to put new software on the car for some reason, in which case the tuner will usually just reflash it for you. As of right now there really aren't any flash tunes for the R56 though. GIAC is as close as it comes, and that still requires a little modification to the ECU.

Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Edited because I can't read... lol
Old 05-25-2008, 05:16 AM
matty125
5th Gear
So there continues to problems with the ALTA product? I would like to buy one, but do to shipping costs its not worth constantly sending it back and forth to the Manufacturer. Is this a consistant problem with these PLUG an PLAY ECU's. To spend 700 dollars and loose reliability of my car seems kinda crazy. What good is 20-30 HP gain if the car wont even run?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
So there continues to problems with the ALTA product? I would like to buy one, but do to shipping costs its not worth constantly sending it back and forth to the Manufacturer. Is this a consistant problem with these PLUG an PLAY ECU's. To spend 700 dollars and loose reliability of my car seems kinda crazy. What good is 20-30 HP gain if the car wont even run?
There appears to be a small set of people who have experienced an identical issue. Alta has said they are very hard at work trying to determine the root cause. I am sure that they will resolve it and make good for those affected.

There is a huge database of customers such as myself who have had ZERO issues. In fact I am very pleased with the product. I and many others such as myself initially posted, but rarely do now. There is probably a large number of success stories that never are told.

Keep in mind any forum is typically over represented by negative experiences. This is due to two reasons; here is where one can sometimes find help, so people who post are having troubles, the second is the sadder truth that some people who are very negative find pleasure in complaining in a faceless forum.

Either way do not let the overly negative opinion sway your decisions. If you follow every thread in every board... well I would never leave the sanctuary of an armored safe room in fear for the things that happen. No wait I just saw a post about structural defects in bullet proof doors.

Read here, talk to others, discuss with vendors the options they have. Make informed well rounded decisions.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
hi I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. I love my Alta products. And I am not sure at this point if this even is an issue with the unichip. I am just asking for any help I can get. Alta, Adam and Jeff have been very responsive and helpfull. I have never had to send back anything they have supplied me with. For all I know this is a different issue all together. I would highly recommend Alta. And the unichip. I think it the best bang for your buck. Or it is the "idler pulley" for the R56, this thing is FAST!!!

I will keep you all informed thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by chakraj; 05-25-2008 at 01:07 PM.