R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Check engine light ON!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light ON!

Hey guys I posted up a thread yesterday about a weird rattling hum noise that seems to be coming out of my engine bay. You could hear it right in the middle.

It happens right after the car warms up and I start to drive off. While in park the noise doesn't come up. And just today I noticed that when I turn on my A/C it makes the rattling hum ever so softly but you could still hear it if you focus on the sound.

So the big issue right now is the CEL is on. At first it was just "Engine Reduced Power" up on the dash bt the CEL never turned on and that lasted only a couple days and it did not pop up again until yesterday 9/8/2015, once again without the CEL.

As I'm heading to Autozone to buy some engine oil I stop at the light the the CEL finally turns on and stays on and up on my dash it says "Increased emissions"

I recently got a resonator delete with all new pipping, on 9/5/2015 and nothing popped up no CEL. I called the shop that did the work and there really knowledgeable about Mini's because they have a crew that goes and gets all there work done by them. The guy said the work they did has nothing to do with that.

I highly doubt it that it was that. The car seems to run great and has power. I just have to know what this issue can be. Last time I took it to Pepboys for the "Engine Reduced Power" and the code reader clearly said 0 codes.

HELP HELP HELP:confu sed:

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light ON!-fullsizerender.jpg   Check engine light ON!-increased-emissions.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
You have a code, pepboys just can't read it. You need to get it read by the dealer or a mini independent that can read BMW/mini specific codes. Without knowing what the code is, dang hard to diagnose the problem..

Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even autozone can get you the code, could be a lot of things, did you make sure you tightened the oil cap (needs to have negative pressure) and dip stick all the way in? I bought a cheap odb2 code reader on ebay (under 20 bucks shipped) that reads mini codes well and it was not even a mini code reader. The code will pretty much tell you what the issue is.

Check your sparkplugs and cables to make sure they are pushed all the way in.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's what you do, top off your oil before going anywhere, even better change your oil and filter. Stay away from the dealer period, their prices are insane and their mechanics aren't good at troubleshooting without codes being stored in the ECU, even then it's difficult for most to trust them. Find a reputable independent shop that specializes in Mini's, here are a few very reputable independent shops. It's worth driving out there and spending the gas money to get an honest repair facility and not get overcharged by several thousands of dollars even if you decide to tow it! These two places specialize in Mini's and BMW's only and their labor rates are low compared to the dealers and they have all the proper diagnostic equipment to read Mini/BMW specific codes.

An increased emissions warning light, my first thought is a failing catalytic converter. I know there are many more reputable independent shop that specializes in Mini's out in that area, I'm at work on my phone and these were off the top of my head. Checkout their reviews on Google and Yelp.

Motoring Magic
CS Motor Works

Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM
DeanS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAMCO will read your code for free! Plus, my CL went on then off the next time I fueled up! always start with the simplest thing...the DAMN gas cap!

The following users liked this post:
BlueMiniac (03-11-2020)