Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI

I've been looking into CAI's and I wanted to know what the differece is between the Alta CAI and the DDMWorks CAI (Street Intake)? I know a lot of people have the Alta, but does anyone have the DDMWorks? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When DDM finally releases their strut tower brace, it will work with the DDM street or track intake.
I don't know much of any other difference. DDM uses a K&N filter; Alta uses foam like a Uni.
The DDM will allow you to go to the race later if you want too...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
When DDM finally releases their strut tower brace, it will work with the DDM street or track intake.
I don't know much of any other difference. DDM uses a K&N filter; Alta uses foam like a Uni.
Based on the pictures, it seems that both use a Unifilter.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Actually, looking at the DDM's website the Uni is a $30 option.

Last edited by jaynicholson; 05-16-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
actually I believe the K&N is the optional filter on their intake.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I've been following CAI's ever since I got the car. I like the DDMWorks for the fact that it's $80 cheaper and it keeps the bottom of the OEM intake intact. All you have to do is install the elbow, the bracket, and the filter and you're done.

The Alta eliminates the whole intake box. It's also more expensive and, from what I have read, I might have to fool around with the sound generator and some other hoses to get it fit properly (I have a late model '07).

Also, is the foam UNI filter better than the K&N filter?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to do a ton of research before I do anything to my cars.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
I know. That strut tower brace looks sweeeet! Definitely on my radar now.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
I've heard one of the biggest problems with the Alta CAI is that is tends to give the CEL(check engine light). I'm sure there is a simple fix for this but I personally didn't want to deal with it! Also it is about 100 bucks more than the DDM. But maybe you get what you pay for. With that being said I took a chance on the DDM.

I just installed my DDM Street Intake(w/K&N) last night. Install took about 1 hour. It would have taken half the time if I didn't have to file down the powder coating on the opening for the MAF sensor tube on the sheild supplied by DDM. After I installed it I went for a test drive around the neighborhood. If you don't know what a turbo sounds like you definitely will after installing the DDM(which I'm sure it is the same as the Alta). I wouldn't say the HP increased a large bit but moreso the throttle response. I thought the MINI had great throttle response before the intake, but after installation response has greatly improved.

The long term benefit of increase gas milage is what I'm kinda wondering about. I had a CAI on my truck and it improved about 1-2 mpg. We'll see but the imediate benefits are noticeable!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
aem421
4th Gear
MiniEnvy, where did you get your CAI? Did you opt for the K&N filter over the UNI because it's a better filter or was it personal preference? Some pics would really help me out. Thanks alot.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DDM's tests showed that the K&N provided the correct pressure and I'm pretty sure that the K&N is all they supply now-adays. I could be wrong but I wasn't given a choice.
The butt dyno says it yields a couple of ponies and the tires chirp in three gears on my autotrans.
Pretty neat.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
MiniEnvy, where did you get your CAI? Did you opt for the K&N filter over the UNI because it's a better filter or was it personal preference? Some pics would really help me out. Thanks alot.
I bought it through Way Motor Works. I actaully called them about the Alta CAI and they recommended the DDM Street w/K&N to me. The picture on their site is of the Uni filter but I think they only sell it with the K&N?? I'm not sure but I don't think the Uni filter makes quite as cool of a blow off sound as the K&N does( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!). The sound is worth getting this CAI alone!!

I did take pics and they are on my computer at home so I will post those later!!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Cool. Much appreciated guys. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
DDM Works Intake

The DDM Works Intake Sounds Great and may add a little power.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniEnvy
I've heard one of the biggest problems with the Alta CAI is that is tends to give the CEL(check engine light). I'm sure there is a simple fix for this but I personally didn't want to deal with it!
Thanks for the post and not trying to call you out butttttt..... We have yet to have a single CEL related to the intake period. From the design it simply can't produce one. UNLESS the client fails to plug in the MAF sensor on start up. The thing will register a code right away. But so will EVERY other intake stock or otherwise.

If you DO have someone that has had a problem let me know. Happy to help them work through the concern, but for 100% no CEL's with the ALTA intake.

Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by aem421
I've been following CAI's ever since I got the car. I like the DDMWorks for the fact that it's $80 cheaper and it keeps the bottom of the OEM intake intact. All you have to do is install the elbow, the bracket, and the filter and you're done.

The Alta eliminates the whole intake box. It's also more expensive and, from what I have read, I might have to fool around with the sound generator and some other hoses to get it fit properly (I have a late model '07).

Also, is the foam UNI filter better than the K&N filter?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to do a ton of research before I do anything to my cars.
Thanks for starting the thread BTW. Good to get some new info up and about.

But the sound generator removal is optional. As will be a cold air scoop NOT from the front scoop to maintain the necessary heat venting of the turbo system (You may want to search for early cars, that have OEM blocked scoops, the heat from the turbo warped the scoop and hood. So BMW then opened them up. The intakes that block that heat escape by funnelling that air from the scoop to the intake run a risk of damage.)

Foam will out flow K&N when dirty. Foam will also remove smaller chunks of dirt vs.K&N. So use foam regardless of the intake you choose to protect the motor and make more HP. The K&N will our perform the foam when clean, but at the sacrifice of allowing addl. crud right into your expensive turbo. Not my opinion of a good choice!

Anyway, let me know if I can ever answer any other questions or concerns. Chat soon!

Last edited by ADAMSALTAMINI; 05-16-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i have had my alta imtake on for awhile and not one problem. i just cleaned it on wednesday. they get alot of dirt and the love bugs are out so they get alot of bugs too. im happy with my alta cai.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the post and not trying to call you out butttttt..... We have yet to have a single CEL related to the intake period. From the design it simply can't produce one. UNLESS the client fails to plug in the MAF sensor on start up. The thing will register a code right away. But so will EVERY other intake stock or otherwise.

If you DO have someone that has had a problem let me know. Happy to help them work through the concern, but for 100% no CEL's with the ALTA intake.

Thanks again!
Adam I'm glad you chimed in! Also glad that you helped clear things up!! I honestly have nothing against the Alta intake, but that was just what I heard on the intrawebs (if I heard it on the internet it must be true, right! ). I was going to actualy buy your intake but they were backorder for a while, so I took another route. Sorry if I came off negatively and I wasn't trying to bash your product.

aem421,
Here are the pictures I promised!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 PM
aem421
4th Gear
MiniEnvy, thanks for the pics. However, are you sure yours is installed correctly? In the pic below, your MAF sensor is installed where the blue arrow is and from the DDMWorks photo it's where the red arrow is. Did you do something different?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
old81
M6
MAF position

aem421, funny you should notice the MAF sensor position change.

I have the DDMworks CAI and my MAF sensor is in the same position. It was installed at AMVIV in April by Way.

I had considered the Alta product but I liked the overall design and construction of the DDM product. All the DDMWorks installs I have seen of the later shipped product have the MAF in this position.

I have had the CAI on for about 4K miles and no issues. Pardon the dirt, lots of desert dust at AMVIV.

Don

Last edited by old81; 05-16-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add image
Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
First step after disassembly:
"First thing is to install the air flow meter to the new intake box. Using the supplied hardware, bolt the air flow meter to the outside of the intake so the air flow meter extends into the air box"
The also reference installing the silicone 90 on the air flow meter so it faces the front of the car.

I would have to say that pic is actually installed incorrectly. They gave nuts/bolts in the kit the attach it. So I hope I did it right??? I followed the directions for once!!

EDIT: Thanks Don!! I'm glad I'm not a total idiot!! See ya at the ride!!

Last edited by MiniEnvy; 05-16-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Yeah, that's weird. I wonder why they changed it. I'll have to email Dave and find out. Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniEnvy
Adam I'm glad you chimed in! Also glad that you helped clear things up!! I honestly have nothing against the Alta intake, but that was just what I heard on the intrawebs (if I heard it on the internet it must be true, right! ). I was going to actualy buy your intake but they were backorder for a while, so I took another route. Sorry if I came off negatively and I wasn't trying to bash your product.
No problem! Thanks for the clarification. Glad the intraweb was as reliable as always. WE were on backorder due to high demand, but we have now ramped up production again, and more are in stock now.

THANK YOU! Enjoy your new intake system!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
i have had my alta imtake on for awhile and not one problem. i just cleaned it on wednesday. they get alot of dirt and the love bugs are out so they get alot of bugs too. im happy with my alta cai.
Thanks!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
some one should post dynos =]

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI