Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I will go first!

ALTA R56 Intake Test and Tune

Our initial test of the intake system was done with the OEM hood scoop left in place. Our intake is designed to remove this, but we wanted to prove how this was a necessary mod. So we did 3 quick runs with the scoop on and 4 quick runs with the scoop off. Below are the runs, withthe strange low boost runs removed. The dyno’s runs are redrawn over with a wide brush to show the average of the 2 runs. With no scoop, the filter temps constantly climbed. In 3 quick (10 second interval) runs,the temps were at 150 degrees. With the scoop removed, an instant 30F drop occurred, and a constantly cooling temp change started. The next 3 quick runs showed a nice change in both temp and Wheel HP. The gain was somewhat expected, and the scoop needed to be removed to get the most from the intake system.

Above graph shows averaged runs with the ALTA intake installed with and with the scoop being blocked. The RED is the same line as the below picture. Below picture compares stock to the ALTA intake.

Above graph shows averaged runs with and with the scoop opened up and intake installed!

So where is the “complete” cold air intake we might have talked about to customers?? The feasibility for a cold air intake is never out of the question, but the cost and complexity are a factor. We wanted to bring the best bang for the buck to the plate first,not scare people away. Since our intake did so well and the scoop gives perfect ambient temp to the filter, we developed our first version this way.
On a side note, when dealing with MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors, small changes to turbulence in the intake system, can make huge changes to how the car runs. Because we are familiar with this problem on other cars, great care was taken to eliminate any turbulence issues that might throw a CEL, or make the car run too lean or rich. We can say for a fact that our intake replicates the stock MAF curve perfectly!

Above quoted from Jeff Perrin on our website. Thank you!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Thanks Adam... I'm transitioning from my R53 to an R56 which is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Let me see if I have this straight; your CAI with the factory scoop unblocked yields roughly a 10 WHP gain, correct? What is the definition of "unblocked"? Is the current 2008 partially opened scoop unblocked or does the plastic honeycomb have to be replaced with something even more open?

TIA,

Richard

Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM
old81
M6
Not sure dynos of the CAI for the R56 are really necessary. Most gains are in sound and perceived HP. IMO, if you get 2 to 3 HP with the CAI and your engine breaths a little better, that is what you should expect.

If I was upgrading CAI, exhaust, FMIC, boost tubes, I would like to see a dyno plot (before and after), but in the end, it is how you feel about the mods, nothing else.

Opps, I did not see Adam's follow-on posting with dyno results. Great information! IMO, I still feel 2 to 3 HP is what I expect, if I can get 10, wow. On these 90 degree days it is subjective.

Last edited by old81; 05-18-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: missed some info in the thread.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hopper
Thanks Adam... I'm transitioning from my R53 to an R56 which is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Let me see if I have this straight; your CAI with the factory scoop unblocked yields roughly a 10 WHP gain, correct? What is the definition of "unblocked"? Is the current 2008 partially opened scoop unblocked or does the plastic honeycomb have to be replaced with something even more open?

TIA,

Richard
Thanks for asking! Yes the 10WHP gain was achieved with the OEM scoop opened up. Ours was blocked completely on the demo car. We also tried a car with the OEM OPENED mesh and it achieved the same results.

Hope that helps! Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:03 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by old81
Not sure dynos of the CAI for the R56 are really necessary. Most gains are in sound and perceived HP. IMO, if you get 2 to 3 HP with the CAI and your engine breaths a little better, that is what you should expect.

If I was upgrading CAI, exhaust, FMIC, boost tubes, I would like to see a dyno plot (before and after), but in the end, it is how you feel about the mods, nothing else.

Opps, I did not see Adam's follow-on posting with dyno results. Great information! IMO, I still feel 2 to 3 HP is what I expect, if I can get 10, wow. On these 90 degree days it is subjective.
Thanks old81! Let me know if I can ever help you out!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 AM
ImolaS54
2nd Gear
10 hp is amazing from an intake, so amazing that i can't believe it

Old 05-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for asking! Yes the 10WHP gain was achieved with the OEM scoop opened up. Ours was blocked completely on the demo car. We also tried a car with the OEM OPENED mesh and it achieved the same results.

Hope that helps! Thanks again!
Just to clear this up, are you saying there was no difference between no plastic mesh and a OEM that had been opened up?

I have a stock one that I have opened up but not sure if I am going to leave it in or take it out.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i wonder if the m7 scoop would add anything . if anything it looks cool to me. i was looking at there site and in a clip i could see were they trimmed the hood where the scoop is. really close to the rubber gromit where the torks bolt is.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ImolaS54
10 hp is amazing from an intake, so amazing that i can't believe it

Welcome to the world of turbocharged engines

Because of the differences in how an S/C vs. a Turbo works, the gains are far more significant from air flow modifications. This is true for both the intake and exhaust systems.

Thanks for the comment and let me know if I can help in anyway!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
Just to clear this up, are you saying there was no difference between no plastic mesh and a OEM that had been opened up?

I have a stock one that I have opened up but not sure if I am going to leave it in or take it out.
You have it correct. I will triple check with Jeff today, but that is certainly what I said.

If you don't like the looks of the mesh being removed you might want to consider a replacement scoop.

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Hey Adam,

Just so that the community can compare Apples to Apples, do you know what gain you saw at the wheels, before you estimated the gain at the flywheel?

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
ImolaS54
2nd Gear
duplicated post

Last edited by ImolaS54; 05-19-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: duplicated post
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
ImolaS54
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Welcome to the world of turbocharged engines
right.... i've been around a a while to know better

Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the ALTA intake on mine for thousands of miles with no issues at all....Easy install, looks clean under the hood, power gain, simple/easy to clean the filter, and it really makes the car come alive from a sound standpoint, hearing the turbo and oem BOV...makes it sound awesome!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 AM
aem421
4th Gear
So, for the Alta folks, what's the justification for paying roughly $80-$100 more for a CAI that does the same thing as another one? Was it the look or the perceived HP gain? I'm just curious. Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
for me it was about the build of the unit. what i wanted is to have all the same companys parts , in my mind it would seem they are built to work together. im not a pro racer or tuner i dont work for alta. i had the money for the alta too so i got one. i have also done the homemade cai , with a huge trueflow foam filter and a k&n filter as well. both were noisy , the alta seems a lil more friendly to my ears on my long comutes. so i really had to pay more to get the cai i wanted. three filters, panel, foam , and k&n all with my homemade setup. should have just got the alta to begin with. but im just like most of the rest of us out there i want the most bang for my buck. i want the most power i can get. the huge foam filter i had seemed a lil too big for what i had on the car , i dont have the downpipe yet , so it seems as if the air the coming in just wont get out fast enough to work right with that filter. also with the alta you get rid of the stock undertray on the air box. that made since to me for what i wanted as well. there is alot of sand and dust and bugs and just general crap around here . so when the air is coming in through the scoop all the debris seems to go right in the undertray, with the alta alot of the crap goes down past that spot down to the ground . also i dont have my air filter zip tied down to the airbox anymore . that alone was worth it to me , nice clean installed unit so when i pop open the hood tada cool and clean looking. nothing jimmied, not that there is anything wrong with that because i did it too. i want what we all want , cool parts that make the car go faster. so get too it.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i had some coffee .

Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aem421
So, for the Alta folks, what's the justification for paying roughly $80-$100 more for a CAI that does the same thing as another one? Was it the look or the perceived HP gain? I'm just curious. Thanks for the replies so far.
I had planned on upgrading to an ECU mod to get more out of the engine, the stock airbox didn't impress me much. DDM cosmetically didn't do anything for me. Alta's looked nice. Money and HP claims really mean nothing, at least to me.

Form, function, looks, good sound engineering were the judgment points.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by aem421
To be honest we don't spend a lot of time researching competitive parts and prices. We designed the part a particular way, it costs x amount to produce, we intend to sell x amount in a lifecycle for the part, we apply our standard markup that suffices both Wholesale and Retail requirements and viola' there is the retail prices.

Keep in mind we are a retailer and wholesaler, so things are a bit different. But it should also be noted that overhead varies from mfr. to mfr. so ours may be higher or lesser than others.

WE feel the item delivers the power, performance, aesthetics and quality that folks demand at this price point. Judging by the fact that we literally have a hard time keeping them on the shelf to meet current demand, it would appear that the price has met the market.

Thanks for asking! Let me know if I can help in anyway further!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Astro S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
i had some coffee .
lol ... geez man did you even stop to breath?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
not yet wezz wezz pant

Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks
Hey Adam,

Just so that the community can compare Apples to Apples, do you know what gain you saw at the wheels, before you estimated the gain at the flywheel?

Thanks!
Graphs above are all at the wheels gains and measures. WE rarely do any flywheel comparisons. The WORD flywheel on the charts comes from DynaPack Mfr. as they consider the wheels turning the "flywheels". We can't edit that out that I know of.

Sorry for any confusion. If you question this comment ring Dyna Pack directly 559-292-3800

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
ANT818
3rd Gear
I'm very satisfied with the Alta CAI. Along with all the other products I've purchased from Adam. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to pay more. I feel like I should join the Alta part of the month club. (I'll be the first member)

Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ANT818
I'm very satisfied with the Alta CAI. Along with all the other products I've purchased from Adam. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to pay more. I feel like I should join the Alta part of the month club. (I'll be the first member)
I love it! Maybe we should get some grille badges made for the club as well!

Thanks again for the business and the praise!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i like badges, i have one in my wallet.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta vs. DDMWorks CAI