Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM
the platform
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-this got raped and pillaged on a recent thread.
-search it for all the "rave reviews"

Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
I don't think so, what is this supposed to do make up for operator error?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
It did sound like one of those "too good to be true" and $$$

a bit out of character for MM ...

Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 AM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on another thread a lot of people said it gets you to wot without putting your foot all the way down (wot with pedal halfway depressed), however i think this thing is really just to sharpen the response of the car and sync up pedal modulation to engine response which, imo is a worthy mod- i just don't know that its worth the price when you compare it to a custom tune that can take care of that problem plus add power, torque, smoothness....

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 AM
FP
5th Gear
It really complements an ECU upgrade. I have one on my Crossfire and can tell you first hand that it does make big difference. It basically removes the lag when accelerating. The ECU upgrade will give you additional HP.

BTW, you should be able to get it for $225 - $250. If you have the extra change I recommend doing it.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
FPM ...thanks good info

Hmmmmm..add to list

Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
I have a hard time believing that it does anything other than provide a sharper slope to the throttle response curve. That's going to just be an analog signal with an op amp at the pedal sensor. Sure, if you stick another op amp in the circuit, you'll make the ECU think that you've planted your foot on the firewall when it's just your big toe, but how does that change the actual performance of the car?

Still skeptical...

Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
RMW tune improves throttle response too, is that not correct?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Save your money for a RMW tune. Anything else is just a band aid.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
absolutely!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 AM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Can you tell me about this RMW tune? What does it entail, and how much does it cost. I have a 2005 MC, non 'S'.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FPM
Can you tell me about this RMW tune? What does it entail, and how much does it cost. I have a 2005 MC, non 'S'.
So is that not your car in your sig?

I Jan (Revolution Mini Works) tunes the S but I don't know if he has tunes just a cooper. PM him and ask him.

Longboard

Last edited by Longboard Mini; 03-12-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would think that the RMW tune only affects the ECU mapping and it does not change the actual throttle position signal. We are talking to different things. I would think that changing the throttle position signal would compliment a good ECU map tune. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) is that the throttle position signal is filtered to provide a slower response to the ECU. I believe the slow response is applies to acceleration and deacceleration. Thus, I would think that improving the throttle position signal, by using something like the sprint booster, would be a good thing and worth the many.

Has anyone tried the Sprint Booster after an ECU tune (whether that be a JCW, GP, Shark, or custom tune [such as RMW or Alta]) to see if there is a throttle response improvement? I am thinking there will be an improvement especially when done with a OEM ECU tune on a JCW or GP car where someone might not be able to justify a custom ECU tune because a major improvement will not be realized.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just works on the throttle position signals...

but then so does the sport button in the manual S. And people love that. Think of it as a permanant sport button. While it doesn't actually change power, it sure does change the perception of power delivery, and that's the world we live in, perception. There's also the possibility that it can do something to improve power output on corner exit by changing how well you can go from little or no power to acceleration. That has yet to be seen.

Anyway, it is what it is.... While you may be able to find them cheaper for other cars, the one from MM has the Mini connectors on it. And I can tell you that finding these is a royal PITA! Even if you get the one from Mini that mates with the gas peddal, you'll be hard pressed to find one that's like the socket on the e-gas pedal.

Matt

Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Ferdi
1st Gear
I agree with most people, it just sharpens throttle response.
It's like the sport button in some cars, does not create additional hp, but it feels as it would do and fuel consumption is going up, of course.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
So is that not your car in your sig?

I Jan (Revolution Mini Works) tunes the S but I don't know if he has tunes just a cooper. PM him and ask him.

Longboard
Yes, that's car in my sig. It's an MC with and "S" hood and bumper. See my gallery for before and after pics.

I have done the ECU mod and Sprint Booster on my Crossfire. I first did the Sprint Booster and later did the ECU mod, and can tell you first hand they truly complement each other. So now I'm interested in knowing more about an ECU mod for my MC. I know where to get the Sprint Booster.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by quikmni
I would think that the RMW tune only affects the ECU mapping and it does not change the actual throttle position signal. We are talking to different things. I would think that changing the throttle position signal would compliment a good ECU map tune. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) is that the throttle position signal is filtered to provide a slower response to the ECU. I believe the slow response is applies to acceleration and deacceleration. Thus, I would think that improving the throttle position signal, by using something like the sprint booster, would be a good thing and worth the many.

Has anyone tried the Sprint Booster after an ECU tune (whether that be a JCW, GP, Shark, or custom tune [such as RMW or Alta]) to see if there is a throttle response improvement? I am thinking there will be an improvement especially when done with a OEM ECU tune on a JCW or GP car where someone might not be able to justify a custom ECU tune because a major improvement will not be realized.
the RMW tune absolutely, 100% without a doubt adjust the TPS and the TCS (throttle map and traction control).

RMW has done tunes on bone stock GP's and seen GREAT improvements. Search on 'gmann042' or something...he had his car done by Jan and it realized a major improvement.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the LDG generic flash with torque management improvements, throttle response is one of the strong points. I have the Sprint Booster because I was hoping for more of a good thing; it is a good thing. Some of the changes were predictable, some are unexpected (it smells real good in the box); accelerating from a stop on an incline is easier, parking lot maneuvers are easier, the clutch can begin release an instant before raising the revs with less bog behavior, instead of raise revs, slip clutch. The predictable attributes are a whole lot of fun; I even moved the seat back a notch.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
but then so does the sport button in the manual S. And people love that. Think of it as a permanant sport button. While it doesn't actually change power, it sure does change the perception of power delivery, and that's the world we live in, perception. There's also the possibility that it can do something to improve power output on corner exit by changing how well you can go from little or no power to acceleration. That has yet to be seen.
Originally Posted by FPM
I have done the ECU mod and Sprint Booster on my Crossfire. I first did the Sprint Booster and later did the ECU mod, and can tell you first hand they truly complement each other. So now I'm interested in knowing more about an ECU mod for my MC. I know where to get the Sprint Booster.
Originally Posted by k-huevo
I have the LDG generic flash with torque management improvements, throttle response is one of the strong points. I have the Sprint Booster because I was hoping for more of a good thing; it is a good thing. Some of the changes were predictable, some are unexpected (it smells real good in the box); accelerating from a stop on an incline is easier, parking lot maneuvers are easier, the clutch can begin release an instant before raising the revs with less bog behavior, instead of raise revs, slip clutch. The predictable attributes are a whole lot of fun; I even moved the seat back a notch.
I really want to be able to make a post proclaiming my foolishness and stupidity in denouncing this product, and from the above statements (even from those with a tune) this product provides something. I would like to know, however, exactly how a greater rate of change in the throttle body response actually makes the throttle response better. BMW's implementation of the sport mode is a little different than just a TPS change; to my knowledge, VANOS, timing and so forth are altered as well, actually making the engine itself behave differently.

If as Dr. stated this is merely "perception," I'll stand firm, but if this is, in some way, actually crisping up throttle response (which I don't see being possible without lightened drivetrain components and/or tune) I'd love to try it. But from other boards I'm not seeing anything to this effect.

- Matt

Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But how can you argue with a product that

smells good in the box, or allowed Keith to move his seat?

Think about the short shifters. Many love them but they don't change the tranny.

Matt

Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The seat movement was enabled by no longer having to put the Tibialis anterior muscle in an advantageous position for Dorsiflexing and the Gastrocnemius for Plantar flexing the right foot.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 AM
FP
5th Gear
So what kind of WHP do we gain with the ECU mod? amd how much does it cost?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Different subject

different threads....

Matt

Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 PM
FP
5th Gear
Has anyone bought a Sprint Booster for the MC automatic?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Sprint Booster