Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GIAC for R56!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
We will definitely show dyno results from Helix, and hopefully several 'impartial dynos' to back ours up. The key will be to demonstrate repeatable results. Because of the overboost feature on the R56, and the fact that this car is extremely variable, it is very easy to show huge gains by selecting runs on overboost vs. runs off of it. In fact it get's more complex, with several levels of protective tuning designed into the car's DME. Getting reliable results from a R56 is very difficult.

The proof in the pudding will be a proponderance of neutral dyno testing and quarter-mile results: getting a database out there. That is when the internet is at its most useful.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Fireballed ditched the stock ecu and direct injection setup entirely. They're running standalone and regular injectors. I want to see some numbers and curves before I commit to anything. Not a huge fan of GIAC. (previous vw experience)
Care to alaborate?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
it is very easy to show huge gains by selecting runs on overboost vs. runs off of it.
I was under the impression that overboost didn't really exist. That when hitting the sport button it just changed throttle sensitivity so just gave you the feeling of higher torque with no actual map change. Can you please shed some light on this.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
I was under the impression that overboost didn't really exist. That when hitting the sport button it just changed throttle sensitivity so just gave you the feeling of higher torque with no actual map change. Can you please shed some light on this.
Overboost is a temporary boost increase under heavy-full throttle and is actually not related to sport mode. If you mash the go pedal, whether you're in sport mode or not, the ecu will temporarily increase boost and give you some more torque to play with. This is just a potted version and there are much more comprehensive answers floating around on NAM if interested

BTW, can't wait to see some dyno graphs, guys!!!

Last edited by ygblat; 02-08-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
overboost is in the manual I believe. It temporarily increases your torque (up to 15 seconds) from 177 to 192 I believe

Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowB00st
Care to alaborate?
I have an old as dirt apr program, and I got my chip like 6 years ago before these newfangled flashers. GIAC has always had X+ X and all these letters of software, and revision after revision, then claimed the 2.0t FSI cars couldn't be tuned when apr already had a program... they tune them now but.. just not a huge fan. A friend of mine had GIAC on his gti, and it was good but it surged and driveability wasn't all that. He traded to apr and is happy with it. YMMV as usual. Unitronic is who I'm going to for my vw stuff, but unfortunately they're not familiar with the Mini S ecu, and wont be able to get to it for a long time. Oh well.

Anyway this is a long time ago... I'm sure the GIAC stuff has improved but I'm just not big on them.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Salty
overboost is in the manual I believe. It temporarily increases your torque (up to 15 seconds) from 177 to 192 I believe

if i read this correctly....this feature is actually existant in both the automatic and the manual mini.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sailorliz23
if i read this correctly....this feature is actually existant in both the automatic and the manual mini.
Yea, overboost definitely does exist on the MCS regardless of your transmission choice. I think he was referring the the owners manual though.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
I have an old as dirt apr program, and I got my chip like 6 years ago before these newfangled flashers. GIAC has always had X+ X and all these letters of software, and revision after revision, then claimed the 2.0t FSI cars couldn't be tuned when apr already had a program... they tune them now but.. just not a huge fan. A friend of mine had GIAC on his gti, and it was good but it surged and driveability wasn't all that. He traded to apr and is happy with it. YMMV as usual. Unitronic is who I'm going to for my vw stuff, but unfortunately they're not familiar with the Mini S ecu, and wont be able to get to it for a long time. Oh well.

Anyway this is a long time ago... I'm sure the GIAC stuff has improved but I'm just not big on them.

Ummm. Huh?

Go to vwvortex or audiworld and do a search on GIAC and see what people say about drivability, quality and power. They consistently make the most accurate claims for power increase (read: don't exaggerate), and produce the most power in the magazine shootouts. Thumb through a few European Car, Excellence or other mags and I think you'll find that you're in the minority. Hey, but APR is a good company with HUGE advertising budget and has created a following in a short time. If you like them, good on ya. I'm proud to be a GIAC distributor. Here are some links about recent GIAC exploits:

Thread on GIAC tuned AUDI kit:
http://forums.audiworld.com/tt2/msgs/20375.phtml

The GIAC tuned Torque Factory B5 S4 has won the Prestigious Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge:
http://www.giacusa.com/news.php?newsid=78

GIAC tuned AWE RSK04 S4 does 10 secs in quarter mile, a new record!!!
http://titsup-racing.com/video/s4/s4_10_7.wmv

GIAC power'ed Regal 2.0T GTI is first place in VW-Racing GOLF cup:
http://www.giacusa.com/news.php?newsid=72

Last edited by Helix13mini; 02-12-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Yea, overboost definitely does exist on the MCS regardless of your transmission choice. I think he was referring the the owners manual though.
yup, I meant owners manual.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 AM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear

I can only speak for myself, but I never had an issue with GIAC on my GTi.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ummm. Huh?

Go to vwvortex or audiworld and do a search on GIAC and see what people say about drivability, quality and power. They consistently make the most accurate claims for power increase (read: don't exaggerate), and produce the most power in the magazine shootouts. Thumb through a few European Car, Excellence or other mags and I think you'll find that you're in the minority. Hey, but APR is a good company with HUGE advertising budget and has created a following in a short time. If you like them, good on ya. I'm proud to be a GIAC distributor. Here are some links about recent GIAC exploits:
I second that. Garret has done great things for VW Corrado tuning.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 AM
woj
2nd Gear
I have never had issues related to the GIAC software on my GTI. GIAC has a solid reputation in VW circles and should soon have the software for MCS....

Old 02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
On Tuesday, I removed our piggyback prototype from Helix R56 mule in anticipation of GIAC. We overnighted the DME to California for a bench flash and sat on our hands for two days. Well it's back, and I just took the mule for a test thrash. Verdict: what a freakin pleasure .

A little background: We have just completed development of a piggyback solution for the BMW 335 and upcoming 135, which is quite a success (can you imagine that car with a smooth driving 72 ft/lbs extra torque and 68 extra hp?). We have spent a lot of time developing the drivability so that it accelerates as a stock car would, but will tear your heart out with acceleration. We also have been working on the tuning for the R56 with the same box, with moderate success.

We're able to make large peak power gains over stock at the expense of drivability and an occasional check engine light if you're beating it like a truck-stop-hooker. But it just isn't there: the acceleration is peaky, occasionally disappointing, and sometimes ferocious. That's why we haven't released it to the public. It's just not ready for prime time, and it's taken some of the fun out of the R56 for me personally.

The GIAC flash has none of those issues. It's smooth like buddah, and pulls hard. I think this is going to be the solution for R56 cars with stock turbos. It's really great. I'm too tired to dyno it tonight, but I'll try to get it done tomorrow. No promises as we have three installs tomorrow, but I'll try. Also, the European car MINI, which withstood most of the tuning, will be the subject of an article on the GIAC tuning file. I think the issue with the first installment is due out in a week or so, and apparantly there's dyno charts on that.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Sweet! I'll be looking forward to those dyno results.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
any word on if the GIAC flash is detectable by the dealer ?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Also, the European car MINI, which withstood most of the tuning, will be the subject of an article on the GIAC tuning file. I think the issue with the first installment is due out in a week or so, and apparantly there's dyno charts on that.

I wasn't very clear here. I meant European Car Magazine, who are doing a R56 project.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
great to hear!! looks like I may have to come by the shop for a joy ride!!
any word from Garrett when & if they plan to make this available with the handheld flashloader?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
any word on if the GIAC flash is detectable by the dealer ?
It would most definitely be detectable by a dealer, hence the appeal of the piggy back unit that ALTA offers. You can unplug the ALTA unit and the dealer would never know.

The real question is whether or not your dealer would care or have a problem with the ECU reflash. Mine, luckily, would not.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
I'm too tired to dyno it tonight, but I'll try to get it done tomorrow. No promises as we have three installs tomorrow, but I'll try.

Any luck with the dyno yet?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
It would most definitely be detectable by a dealer, hence the appeal of the piggy back unit that ALTA offers.
Sorry, but I completely disagree with that statement.
I’d like to hear why you believe this. Are you speaking from personal experience, or knowledge on technical diagnostics??

Regardless of whom the software developer is, if you have the ability to re-flash the ECU to stock values how & why would the dealer ever suspect anything?
I’ve had flash loaded software on my previous cars. Never had an issue with the dealer & warranty work. And this was on 2 Audi’s….and Audi dealers are notorious for not being mod-friendly.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
You can unplug the ALTA unit and the dealer would never know.
BTW....this is the exact reason I personally prefer a ECU flash.

there are no parts. nothing that will/can fail....nothing that will wear & tear...no wires or connections.
electrical harnesses really shouldn't be plug'd and unplug'd repeatedly.
every time you do that, you run the risk of mistakenly bending a pin or wearing the connection.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by benfica09
Sorry, but I completely disagree with that statement.
I’d like to hear why you believe this. Are you speaking from personal experience, or knowledge on technical diagnostics??

Regardless of whom the software developer is, if you have the ability to re-flash the ECU to stock values how & why would the dealer ever suspect anything?
I’ve had flash loaded software on my previous cars. Never had an issue with the dealer & warranty work. And this was on 2 Audi’s….and Audi dealers are notorious for not being mod-friendly.
OK, but the key to your statement is "if you have the ability to re-flash the ECU to stock values".

Many who will purchase this GIAC will have their ECUs flashed by a shop, and will not necessary purchase a flash loader (if there even be one available for purchase).

Most people aren't going to pay a shop to flash and re-flash their ECUs every time they go in for dealer service, thus the dealer would know their car had been modded with an ECU flash.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
woj
2nd Gear
...and pray tell, why would you reflash before you go into the dealer? I've had the GIAC software on my car for nearly 18 months and neither of the two dealerships that service warranty issues have ever made a comment.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM
benfica09
3rd Gear
OK, but the key to your statement is "if you have the ability to re-flash the ECU to stock values".

Many who will purchase this GIAC will have their ECUs flashed by a shop, and will not necessary purchase a flash loader
Hahhah…..well now you’re guessing at what people will or wont do…..same can apply to the Alta PNP. that’s like saying a person with the Alta PNP goes to the dealer with it still plugged in…..even though they had the option to remove it. thats the owners responsibility and option.

Let’s stick to the subject of detecting a flashed ECU…..since that was your original qualm with the GIAC software.
The option will be there to switch to stock via flashloader…….so tell me again how a modded ecu will be detectable with the stock program loaded.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain GIAC for R56!