Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain GIAC for R56!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
GIAC for R56!

GIAC has just finished tuning the R56 and now is in long-term tesing. I expect that this testing should be done in the next week or so, at which time I will release specific information about the product. for now I'll just divulge that the performance and price will be very attractive: with very strong repeatable torque gains for about $550.

Just as with their Porsche, Audi and VW products, the GIAC tuning file will be delivered to the R56 via flashloader. In other words, the file will modify existing factory maps as opposed to using a piggy-back computer to corrupt sensor signals to the DME. This maintains factory sensor performance evaluation by the DME: something that is important especially as cars get older.

The tuning was done on European Car Magazine's project R56, which will be the subject of a feature in the upcoming issue. All of the tuning and dyno work was done in-house at the GIAC Mustang MD500 AWD dyno. Speaking of the GIAC test cell, it is rapidly becoming the go-to facility for accurate testing by independent parties. You can see one such test tomorrow night on Speed Channel's Street Tuner Challenge, when the show dynos the three challengers (including Fireballed Tim's wild and pregnant-with-moble-sound-lab R56). Tune in at 10 Eastern (I think--check your listings) to see why Garrett missed his real calling as a male model. If we all foucus our energy at the same moment, maybe that EVO will blow up on the dyno .

Last edited by Helix13mini; 01-30-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't wait! please do keep us posted.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM
dentwagon
1st Gear
Nice, Very exciting news, I love what GIAC does for the VAG community.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Wow, a buddy at work has a GIAC flash on his GTI, and it runs WAY stronger than stock. Can't wait to see the official results of this bad boy!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
benfica09
3rd Gear
solid!!!
I've had GIAC products on my past Audi's & VW.
very glad to hear!!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear
This is fantastic. I had GIAC on my GTi and loved it. Never had a problem.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
A flashed ECU on the R56 is what I have been waiting for. I've had GIAC products on previous cars as have a lot of my friends and we've never been disapointed.
Mike

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 AM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you plug into the OBD2 port to flash the ecu?....Is it reverseable?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
Do you plug into the OBD2 port to flash the ecu?....Is it reverseable?
I’m assuming it will use the OBD2 hand-held just like they do for the tuning of their other cars.
I had this setup on my Audi 225 TT. It was great and could be switched back to stock at any point.

http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php

Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
nice!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Straius
2nd Gear
Under the "stock" flash option on the page you linked it says:

Stock: Similar to the original factory programming

Assuming this was the same for the tuning they'll offer for the R56...

If the dealer hooked the car up for any reason to get codes or anything like that, would this be a noticeable difference?

Just the usual "what if something dies in my car and I need warranty service" type question...

Is it possible to obtain the factory software and reflash with that?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Straius
Under the "stock" flash option on the page you linked it says:

Stock: Similar to the original factory programming

Assuming this was the same for the tuning they'll offer for the R56...

If the dealer hooked the car up for any reason to get codes or anything like that, would this be a noticeable difference?

Just the usual "what if something dies in my car and I need warranty service" type question...

Is it possible to obtain the factory software and reflash with that?
good question, I'll second that.
I know we've had customers using it on their VW's that loved it so I'm definitely interested.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing this also means redline increase (if needed), speed limiter removed (if existent), and ability to change other things around such as turning in the mirrors at over 30mph and any other zany ideas I could come up with?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
woj
2nd Gear
Have had the GIAC/TBE AWE combo on my GTI for the past 15 months and hope to repeat it on a MCS this summer. The most impressive gain has been in the torque department, with the car dyno'd at 241 hp/278 ft-lbs. It is very temp sensitive with significant loss of power in summer.
GIAC has in the past offered software suited to various aftermarket exhaust systems and it would be nice if this would be offered again.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
In response to the Flashloader question, GIAC will distribute flashloaders for the MINI if there is enough intereset (read: sales). It's unlikely that they will spend the time and money on the necessary encryption if sales are too low to support the work. But if it takes off like I think it will, there's a very good chance that either the flashloader or an IBE switch will be made available.

In the meantime you will have to visit an authorized GIAC dealer to get it done. We plan to offer the GIAC flashes at both AMVIV and the Dragon, and we can always bench flash your DME here at the shop. In other words, you could overnight us your DME (the computer that controls the engine), we flash it, and overnight it back. We have a 24-hour turnaround guarantee on that arrangement.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
Are your saying that Fireball Tim used the GIAC on his street tuner challenge mini? It only created 52 additional hp and they said in the show the could not get around the stock computer sensors to produce more power. They did extensive mods for only 52HP.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottMHoffman
Are your saying that Fireball Tim used the GIAC on his street tuner challenge mini? It only created 52 additional hp and they said in the show the could not get around the stock computer sensors to produce more power. They did extensive mods for only 52HP.
I think he was saying the STC used GIAC's dyno to test all the cars. I could be wrong though.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Can I drive to your shop and get it done?

Maybe we can shoot a show while we're there.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ktnBHCE11YY

PM me if you're interested.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I'd be interested in this as well. I may be at you guy's shop next week anyway to get a set of Eibach springs installed. When will the flash be available?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
Luxo Dave, thanks for the correction. Helix, were you able to get past the problems the Fireball had with the stock computer refusing to let the car make more power?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear
Luxo Dave, thanks for the correction. Helix, were you able to get past the problems the Fireball had with the stock computer refusing to let the car make more power?
Sure, I still hope I read it right. If I remember correctly Garret used to work closely with the Torque Factory guys, but I have been out of the VW scene for a long time.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Totally different situation here. Fireball had made extensive motor changes, turbo, etc, with the hopes of tripling that output of a stock R56.

A tuned ECU Flash from GIAC on a basically stock R56 isn't trying to make the severe changes that the Fireball car needed in order to run right with all of the new mods to the motor.

I love the improvment the GIAC flash made on my R53, and i know the R56 has tons more left in the bank for GIAC to pull out with their custom tune.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
weldon978
1st Gear
How would you expect the GIAC reflash to compare to the JCW kit reflash?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weldon978
How would you expect the GIAC reflash to compare to the JCW kit reflash?
The JCW won't even begin to compare to any aftermarket tune/reflash/chip/piggyback, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danjmcs
Totally different situation here. Fireball had made extensive motor changes, turbo, etc, with the hopes of tripling that output of a stock R56.

A tuned ECU Flash from GIAC on a basically stock R56 isn't trying to make the severe changes that the Fireball car needed in order to run right with all of the new mods to the motor.

I love the improvment the GIAC flash made on my R53, and i know the R56 has tons more left in the bank for GIAC to pull out with their custom tune.
Fireballed ditched the stock ecu and direct injection setup entirely. They're running standalone and regular injectors. I want to see some numbers and curves before I commit to anything. Not a huge fan of GIAC. (previous vw experience)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain GIAC for R56!